Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ranking beasts from the east, and what constitutes a beast?

SummerShower

Posted
1 hour ago, Alexis said:

23rd March 2013 - the worst possible week for a canal holiday in West Yorkshire!

DF7793B7-BC99-450E-A68F-7456F0A87375.jpeg

I remember it well! I was in Chester that weekend and was surprised by the amount of snow there and the biting cold. That was also the weekend when there were sadly a large number of sheep and lamb deaths just across the border in the N Wales hills caused by the snow. This was obviously a way west and I wonder whether this snowy spell was actually caused by an easterly, I can't remember. 

Posted

The two beasts from 2018 stick out, obviously the first one at the end of February was a lot more noteworthy, I can never recall winds as cold as that before.

The one that happened mid March was still memorable though, it didn’t last as long being so late in the season but it still left a good dumping of snow.

Posted
On 07/01/2021 at 20:24, Broadmayne blizzard said:

If we extend the ranking to the whole of the 20th century and the 21st century so far then in terms of average daily CET temperatures the ranking of the beasts is a somewhat surprising one.

7.   8th -14th Dec 1981 minus 3.51c

8.    16th -20th Dec 1981 minus 2.62c

I definitely wouldn't call them beasts, the first one was cold air dragged down from the north aided and abetted by southerly tracking lows and deep snow cover.

• Like 1