IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion January 2021 onwards

Blessed Weather

Posted
28 minutes ago, NewEra21 said:

Looking like I'm in the sweet spot...

Screenshot_20210115-150427.png

IMG_20210115_150737.jpg

Or not probably. So often we have cry wolf warnings. That is with out going into the Mod thread. 

Posted
13 minutes ago, john mac1 said:

Since when do you put an amber warning out for 1-3cm

they must think there’s going to be more. 

People at home so much now they only have flip flops to wear. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
8 minutes ago, GaryPH said:

A two minute wet snow shower here near to the coast. Promising for tomorrow!

Yet family says it's raining in Herne Bay 

Posted

Latest BBC forecast I've just seen 

Was ramping up the disruptive snow fall for East anglia and southeast before thaw " could set in later "

Had 4 hours of snow covering most of London from 6am till 10am

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms in summer, cold/snow in winter
Just now, Neilsouth said:

It had been most of the time but I'm a couple of miles inland with a little elevation and it pepped up momentarily so that must have made a difference. Took a video but unable to upload it!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October
1 hour ago, Polaris said:

Cracking update for our region from the met office. 

Forecaster confirms 2-5cm widely and up to 10cm in EA.

Bedford Eastwards to Norfolk should crack the magic 5cm

1ECB1400-60E7-4145-924E-71646813F90B.thumb.png.56c10a1ad29af750336098022c8fe050.png

As a pessimistic low ground citizen is that rain and sleet along the Thames I see still? Lol goodluck to everyone else though

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Cold Cold

As a total novice I’m guessing although the temps are dropping here in the west of our region as the front comes in it will bring cloud which in turn brings the temperature up again?? The forecast is saying our temp will go down to 0 at 8pm then back up to 3 by 3am Saturday! 

So it will only bring rain again?!

Sue x 

Posted
33 minutes ago, slater said:

Well didn't see that coming ...Im in that Amber warning ...this better now happen 

Best snow events almost come out of nowhere. If past events are anything to go by it could be rain turning to snow, big dump, snow turns back to rain and you end up with an horrible slushy mess that then promptly freezes. Then  A&E becomes full of broken bones with the added bonus everyone this time catches Covid. 

In any event it would be nice just watch heavy snow falling and covering everything even if it is only fleeting. Can but hope. 

• Like 2

From 

"no snow for the foreseeable" 

"doesn't look cold enough for snow" 

To 

Amber warning issued in region 

Expect the unexpected! Winter is brilliant at throwing up surprises bit like thunderstorms in summer.. 

Granted.. Its not exactly skiing weather but its better than mild dross!!! 

Admitly I was not expecting an Amber warning for this event.. The yellow warning yes.. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, paget said:

As a total novice I’m guessing although the temps are dropping here in the west of our region as the front comes in it will bring cloud which in turn brings the temperature up again?? The forecast is saying our temp will go down to 0 at 8pm then back up to 3 by 3am Saturday! 

Sue x 

Yes.. The cold air is in situ now.. Its probably under cutting a warmer layer above.. 

Tomorrow there is 2 fronts a cold front and a warm front.. The cold front itroduces the  PPN and doesn't or shouldn't mix the Temps out.. Hence snow risk.. However as the warm front catches up as the cold front slows down against the cold air in situ to the east it will begin to mix the colder air out and turn PPN to rain 

Posted
8 minutes ago, GaryPH said:

It had been most of the time but I'm a couple of miles inland with a little elevation and it pepped up momentarily so that must have made a difference. Took a video but unable to upload it!

10 minutes ago, Neilsouth said:

• Like 5

I see the amber warning runs from 5am through to 2pm, I guess that'll be a good estimation as to when the rain will kick in and thaw out any snow? 

None the less, looking forward to a few hours of decent snow before it turns to heavy rain. 

I see BBC are going for 8/9c in the afternoon, a day or two halves!

Edited by Uxbridge90

Posted

Surprising how much snow is expected considering how bad the uppers are forecast to be, with positive surface temps and dew points too. Someone more knowledgable will be able to explain...

Reminds me a bit of the unexpected snow on 10th Dec 2017 in that respect, except that wasn't even really forecasted.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW! And a good thunderstorm

It looks like the further North-East you are (within the South-East), the better your chances are tomorrow. I'm still searching for my first flakes of winter! Feels like the snow knows where I am as I was in North London but now at university in Reading, just in time for North London to be well placed! Still, on the bright side at least I 'should' see something tomorrow if I'm up early enough of course. Let's hope so. 

Posted
10 minutes ago, paget said:

Sue x 

Yesterday the Met Office's forecast uploaded to Youtube pointed out that there was more snow in the forecast for SE England/E Anglia because the speed of the front meant there was less mixing of air in our part of the world, compared to the Midlands and the North. Those areas will see snow too but will need more elevation.

I'm sure temps will go up, but not quickly enough to stop a few hours of snow from around 4 - 5 am onwards - if the forecast verifies

• Like 2

Posted
11 minutes ago, Surrey said:

Yes.. The cold air is in situ now.. Its probably under cutting a warmer layer above.. 

Tomorrow there is 2 fronts a cold front and a warm front.. The cold front itroduces the  PPN and doesn't or shouldn't mix the Temps out.. Hence snow risk.. However as the warm front catches up as the cold front slows down against the cold air in situ to the east it will begin to mix the colder air out and turn PPN to rain 

Thanks 

that was really well explained x 

Posted
11 minutes ago, North Downs Snowboarder said:

Yesterday the Met Office's forecast uploaded to Youtube pointed out that there was more snow in the forecast for SE England/E Anglia because the speed of the front meant there was less mixing of air in our part of the world, compared to the Midlands and the North. Those areas will see snow too but will need more elevation.

I'm sure temps will go up, but not quickly enough to stop a few hours of snow from around 4 - 5 am onwards - if the forecast verifies

Thanks x 

18 minutes ago, londonblizzard said:

Surprising how much snow is expected considering how bad the uppers are forecast to be, with positive surface temps and dew points too. Someone more knowledgable will be able to explain...

Reminds me a bit of the unexpected snow on 10th Dec 2017 in that respect, except that wasn't even really forecasted.

Marginal events always deliver great falls of snow if you fall in the right side of marginal because you get the best of both worlds usually.. 

Loads of PPN and Temps just conductive of settling snow so nice big juicy flakes 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow
33 minutes ago, GaryPH said:

Dew point dropped here to 1.5c during the shower and I'm practically right on the coast in Herne Bay. Shows how elevation and being just a tiny bit inland from the coast makes the difference.

Edited by Jamie M
  • Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Jamie M said:

Dew point dropped here to 1.5c during the shower and I'm practically right on the coast in Herne Bay. Shows how elevation makes the difference.

Yep - just the 60m too!  I used to live nearer the town and worked in Canterbury and lost count of the times when there was nothing on the ground at home but by the time I got to Herne/Wildwood there was a decent covering.  

Posted

So just got off the phone to my mate who works in KCC supporting vulnerable people they have been told to be prepared for the orange warning to be extended into north west Kent, apparently a few in the KCC spoke to the company that supplies forecasts and seem to think it may stall and the cold air may be stronger than first thought..... but this is just complete hear say and they could just be preparing for worse case as they failed to put out a warning yesterday for rain and flooding for most areas is what people seem to think according to him

i don’t believe a word of it personally 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow
Just now, GaryPH said:

Yep - just the 60m too!  I used to live nearer the town and worked in Canterbury and lost count of the times when there was nothing on the ground at home but by the time I got to Herne/Wildwood there was a decent covering.  

Oh yes. I remember it recently in Jan 2017 with slush here and a good cm or two around Herne/Wildwood. Mad really how much of a difference there is. At least a southerly breeze with this front might make the moderation less so for the snow which I'm hoping for really. The amount of times sea moderation has let me down is frustrating. Cooling down nicely though with 1.9°C