Looking like I'm in the sweet spot...

Screenshot_20210115-150427.png

IMG_20210115_150737.jpg

Edited by NewEra21
  • Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Sheldon Cooper said:

Scotland

In all seriousness it depends but typically 150m probably better to ask someone else.

it is relative.  Originally I was from the Midlands and the place I lived for that area was very low lying at around 100ft, there would quite often be nothing there but as soon as you drove away and got to 200ft you would start seeing bits on the verges, go 4 or 5 miles away to Redditch at 300-400ft and it was often a winter wonderland.  The same in Maidstone, I live at about 250ft and in marginal events have driven down to the train station where there has been nothing on pavements etc when the road outside my house is covered.  Even this year there has been nothing but I look across to the Downs and I see snow from 400ft upwards...  In summary I think living at 250ft I have a better chance than sea level, but I would hardly call where I live "Higher Ground"..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warmth, sun, blue sky, and the odd bit of snow on a weekend would do nicely
1 minute ago, snowblind said:

Blimey! There's and amber warning out for this now.

Well didn't see that coming ...Im in that Amber warning ...this better now happen 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny; chilly and sunny; thunderstorms; extreme
4 minutes ago, Reefseeker said:

Don't say that IDO, Reigate Hill is our go-to spot when Surbiton is way too low lying for snow! Fingers crossed that everyone gets in on tomorrow's 'snowmageddon';)

And sorry to hear that Xander, don't let it get you down, keep up your enthusiasm and learning, your efforts are much appreciated around here and all of what you are putting in will take you far.

Reigate Hill for us too !  Not getting the sledges out yet though...

And Xander, keep going, drive them nuts ! Keyboard Warriors the lot of 'em   And yes enthusiasm, patience and persistence is 90% of everything 

• Like 4

Posted
3 minutes ago, James Maidstone said:

it is relative.  Originally I was from the Midlands and the place I lived for that area was very low lying at around 100ft, there would quite often be nothing there but as soon as you drove away and got to 200ft you would start seeing bits on the verges, go 4 or 5 miles away to Redditch at 300-400ft and it was often a winter wonderland.  The same in Maidstone, I live at about 250ft and in marginal events have driven down to the train station where there has been nothing on pavements etc when the road outside my house is covered.  Even this year there has been nothing but I look across to the Downs and I see snow from 400ft upwards...  In summary I think living at 250ft I have a better chance than sea level, but I would hardly call where I live "Higher Ground"..

Thanks. I'm at about 260 - 270ft, with the top of my road about 300ft i'd imagine.  Wondering if that would make a different to weather in the estuary that is less than 5 km away.

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

I live in the outskirts of Ashford, how's it looking for tomorrow? :D 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything interesting - mostly storms or snow
6 minutes ago, NewEra21 said:

Looking like I'm in the sweet spot...

Screenshot_20210115-150427.png

IMG_20210115_150737.jpg

Typical, I'm in NE Norwich and literally meters outside the warning area.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, sun and snow.
1 hour ago, Sheldon Cooper said:

Been banned from the mod thread for doing absoloutely nothng again,for past action which was I didn't know enough but I've gone on like every website and learnt what I need to know.

Anyway BBC has Snow from 6am up until 10am, we'll see what happens.

Xander

Wouldn't worry about it. That place seems to have some very strange rules. I think the mods struggle a bit. Not their fault, it does get very busy and things can get out of hand quickly.

My biggest gripe is the echo chamber effect that seems to be getting worse in the 3 odd years I have been lurking there. Realists are more and more being pushed out by "Rampers". It's a shame as it devalues the discussion element of it. Knocker had the right idea last winter. Get his own thread for serious discussion where you are the only contributor!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, frost and snow
Just now, Gonzolio Martinez said:

Typical, I'm in NE Norwich and literally meters outside the warning area.

I'd still fully expect you to still see something though, being so close to that amber zone.

Posted

Since when do you put an amber warning out for 1-3cm

they must think there’s going to be more. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Cold Cold

Hi all!

it’s been a lovely day with some sun here in Farnham, Surrey! 
I am not expecting anything again, I’m probably the most West of us do it will be rain when it hits me! ☹️

temp 2.7

dp 1.8 

Sue x 

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, john mac1 said:

Since when do you put an amber warning out for 1-3cm

they must think there’s going to be more. 

Main reason for it being amber is the time IE rush hour not the amount of snow!

Edited by zubzero

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Fingers crossed for the so far, snow-starved SE, looks quite positive overnight and tomorrow. Hopefully, the front will stall and won’t turn to rain Always hated that happening.

• Like 3

Posted

Have to remember that Amber area will see snow for longest, and well into rush hour. That could take it into that 5-10cm bracket. The idea remains that 1-3cm widely over the yellow area

Posted
4 minutes ago, zubzero said:

Main reason for it being amber is the time IE rush hour not the amount of snow!

Posted

The models are showing quite widely 10-20mm of precipitation so depending whether the majority falls as snow then totals could be quite high.  The shift to amber has not added depth but has seen the likelihood increase.

• Like 1

Posted

Looks like the only difference between met office's yellow and amber warning zones is the 'likelihood'. Both have same 'impact' and talk of 1 - 3 cm widely and up to 5 - 10 cm in places. So theres a chance even south of london could come off well.