Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion January 2021 onwards

Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

For anyone wondering what a SSW is here is the basic lowdown. 

A SSW or Sudden Stratospheric Warming occurs when the Polar Vortex winds keeping the extremely cold air over the Arctic that's in the Stratoshpere slow down and weaken this allows the cold air to collapse and become warmer rapidly. 

Over around a few weeks the Stratospheric air sometimes can come down and weaken the jet stream. This can block warmer air over the Atlantic and allow colder air to sink it's way down and envelop the UK and giving us a long spell of very cold air. 

If this happens and we get very cold air sinking that is most likely going to bring air from Arctic Areas which in turn could bring hefty Snow with it. 

It is easiest seen on the Jet Stream and Stratospheric Temperature Charts looking at ground temperature you should be able to see wether it has come down or not most likely. 

Forecasting these however can be hard and so it is most likely that you'll have to see what happens or look within the next few days and see how well further outlooks stick with further runs. 

Here is an example of how warmer Stratospheric conditions can if they come down affect the ground temperatures.

As seen here we have a January 2021 forecasted Stratospheric Warming chart. 

1555401322_npst30(5).thumb.png.7b405865aa91fffbdbf8a4cf630d9ad5.png

Later in the forecast you can see the Milder air that has pushed up. 

h500slp.thumb.png.0a17fe0c475915d0276908f6d00ccc9b.png

Meteociel shows after the relatively predictable warmer weather because of the SSW that the Colder Air does come down and weaken the jet stream and stop Atlantic High pressure from interfering allowing the UK to sit in a colder air pocket. 

gensnh-0-3-324.thumb.png.5eba7887bcef0d1a6e3be8ecbcdf1121.png

A familiar shape to this is a U shaped Jet Stream in America as well as it covering our region the jet stream. 

This will still take a while to push down to our Region though as seen here by the flimsy High clinging on although it'll most likely lose out and the Low will come down to our Region as it is waiting to crash through to our west. 

gensnh-0-1-324.thumb.png.61ffdaf03ec4bd1bf9c7e314317f70ed.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Steve Murr said:

Good afternoon

A welcoming site towards home

Temps in Eltham ( picking kids up) +4c

Temps here at the top +1c

Est lows. -5c tonight.

26B12C32-BE3C-4F7E-BA0F-C187F77AD33A.thumb.jpeg.e6bcd4aa23806417eaa8a48be0ffc6ad.jpegD58D2F49-1479-4F4D-B528-14912E270465.thumb.jpeg.3e3ad6a1882d835249e19aba8b7f8179.jpeg

Nice, starting wonder if my half an hour sleet shower on the 5th of December is the Winter highlight here in Suffolk!...Any thoughts on latest SSW potential weather for us Steve? Had a look on the Mod thread and cant make head nor tail of where we stand atm! To much bickering and handbags!

Edited by Guest

Posted

So Harmonie (which picked up on lying snow on the South Downs) is now predicting two events for our region, streamers into the N of E Anglia over the next 24 hours and then snow moving down from the North and fizzling starting in the early hours of Friday morning....

https://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-bin/expertcharts?LANG=en&MENU=0000000000&CONT=nlnl&MODELL=harmonie40&MODELLTYP=1&BASE=202101061200&VAR=weas&HH=48&ZOOM=0&ARCHIV=0&RES=0&WMO=&PERIOD=

Edited by m1chaels
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Binsey72 said:

We had about 8inches today well chuffed !!

208FADED-8D7E-482C-96C3-3866D4235545.jpeg

Not bad but when I use the same measuring technique I would have referred to that as a dusting!

Posted
7 minutes ago, Binsey72 said:

We had about 8inches today well chuffed !!

208FADED-8D7E-482C-96C3-3866D4235545.jpeg

What did you use as your dibber? 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOWWWWWWWW

A better day here - cold with light winds and a bit of sunshine coming through at times. Looks like we’re in for a cold one tonight 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

Great post by TomSE12 earlier-went to the queens head in Downe in the summer using eat out to help out and food very good in there especially with the prices under that scheme.Been another sub 5c day today maxing here at 4.2 and down to 0.1 already at 6pm.Could be a sharp frost tonight if it stays clear.

Although it stays cold till Sunday signs are milder temperatures will occur from next Monday but don’t think it will ever be excessively mild and reckon 6-8 will be order of the day from next Tuesday if I had to hazard a guess.Mind you that is too far out tbf.It will be nice if we could get a few proper sunny winter days coming to dry out the ground

• Like 1

Posted

Temp down to 1.8C and Dew point -1C....Friday looks interesting at the moment in some parts of the SE around London ❄️

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle
10 minutes ago, E17boy said:

Where is this for Moscow ....certainly does not look it for us

My local postcode 

Posted
24 minutes ago, yamkin said:

Temp down to 1.8C and Dew point -1C....Friday looks interesting at the moment in some parts of the SE around London ❄️

What's the synopsis for Friday mate? 

• Like 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, cookie27 said:

What's the synopsis for Friday mate? 

-8 upper temps (850 hPa). Dew Point 0 (possibly lower). No undercutting warm sectors so far.

All down to the flow of the ppn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Evening all,

Obviously, not to be taken seriously at this range but really liking the 12z GFS, in it's final few frames:

GFS 12Z 22nd Jan (t384)

image.thumb.png.067b11f169e0fecbc6df5990c7574870.png

The Arctic High, poking it's nose into the top of the picture.

Scroll back to 9th January, 1987. The Arctic High made a welcome appearance, before that epic spell :

image.thumb.png.09af7cbefff3d540f612f3ffacc7dbd1.png

Which 2 Days later, led on to this:

image.thumb.png.e304ca4270121ce456ccac53dd0b8790.png

I know, cherry-picking, pattern matching at it's most extreme but having experienced that spell when I lived in Bromley, N.W. Kent/S.E. London, with around 10 inches of level Snow, by the end of that 2 Week spell, we can only dream that we see a similar spell. I'm sure the great majority of Members would take this Synoptic evolution, if this was to be the result of the current S.S.W.

Regards,

Tom.  

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 6

Posted
22 minutes ago, TomSE12 said:

Evening all,

Obviously, not to be taken seriously at this range but really liking the 12z GFS, in it's final few frames:

GFS 12Z 22nd Jan (t384)

image.thumb.png.067b11f169e0fecbc6df5990c7574870.png

The Arctic High, poking it's nose into the top of the picture.

Scroll back to 9th January, 1987. The Arctic High made a welcome appearance, before that epic spell :

image.thumb.png.09af7cbefff3d540f612f3ffacc7dbd1.png

Which 2 Days later, led on to this:

image.thumb.png.e304ca4270121ce456ccac53dd0b8790.png

I know, cherry-picking, pattern matching at it's most extreme but having experienced that spell when I lived in Bromley, N.W. Kent/S.E. London, with around 10 inches of level Snow, by the end of that 2 Week spell, we can only dream that we see a similar spell. I'm sure the great majority of Members would take this Synoptic evolution, if this was to be the result of the current S.S.W.

Regards,

Tom.  

Hi Tom,

I hope you’re well.

I,  like you, remember 1987 with great fondness and personally use it as the holy grail by which all winter weather events are measured by in the SE. 

Living on the north downs at the time and being in the sweat spot that year we measured over 2 feet of snow. With icicles from roof to ground. For a 10 year old it was most magical. 

I’m keeping my fingers crossed for you all that this happens again this year. This week almost had the perfect set up to match that amazing event for snowfall levels, alas the temps and dew points were not quite right.

Take care,

Coops 

Edited by Coopsy
  • Like 4

Just glanced out on the main drag it was flooded with big massive puddles earlier - however it's drying up uber quick here- That glossy sheen on the roads means ice will be a big problem tonights

Currently 

-0.2 / -0.6

S

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted

it's a tad slippery outside at the moment, on the paths and roads. temp and dp currently -1c.

• Thanks 2

Posted

snow symbols on my weather app from 3-8am tonight in Norfolk.. what’s the chances of this being any good?