Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion January 2021 onwards

Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Need the whole system to push back south, bringing the colder air and DP’s with it.

Posted
2 hours ago, James1979 said:

That doesnt work for all of us - mine is an S8 and shows nothing. Comes up every week this issue but yeah just click on a profile, not exactly difficult. Pain in the arris to keep stating a location in every post.

Have you tried to view the site in desktop mode?

Posted
  • Location: Upminster Bridge London Borough of Havering 40m above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: Siberian

Until we see a definite pressure rise over the Scandinavia we'll receive little if anything wintry in the low lying South East, certainly East and South of London.  Greenland highs are fine for further North but for us North Westerlies (and increasingly Northerlies too) are normally marginal at best; they tend to have too much warm air mixed in with them unless they are very deep or further towards the NE. Northerlies also have a longer sea track these days than in decades gone by due to ice melt. I am old enough to remember snow fests of the past down here including 1978-79, 1981, 1987 and 1991 and the one thing that they all had in common is high pressure over Scandinavia pulling in winds from the NE /ENE/ E.  For some reason in the last twenty or so years highs in that region have become rarae aves indeed.   And yet in spring the Scandinavian highs often magically return.   Ironically the one time this winter when we did manage an Easterly the continent was very mild.

I have yet to see a single flake of snow this winter and I know that there are plenty of others in the same flooded boat and I'm expecting nothing wintry today neither.

• Like 5

Posted
18 minutes ago, Polaris said:

Big old fat flakes now in Woburn. 

Chance for London/Kent later this afternoon I recon. 
temp down to 0.8c here now 

Was rain this morning, but turning a bit sleety now, I think we may see a light covering before the day is out. Looks like it’s not heading any further north now either.

Posted

After a bit of snow this morning it was dry for a while. Now just light rain. Temp has gone up a bit, now 2.7.

Posted
5 minutes ago, Canalboy said:

Until we see a definite pressure rise over the Scandinavia we'll receive little if anything wintry in the low lying South East, certainly East and South of London.  Greenland highs are fine for further North but for us North Westerlies (and increasingly Northerlies too) are normally marginal at best; they tend to have too much warm air mixed in with them unless they are very deep or further towards the NE. Northerlies also have a longer sea track these days than in decades gone by due to ice melt. I am old enough to remember snow fests of the past down here including 1978-79, 1981, 1987 and 1991 and the one thing that they all had in common is high pressure over Scandinavia pulling in winds from the NE /ENE/ E.  For some reason in the last twenty or so years highs in that region have become rarae aves indeed.   And yet in spring the Scandinavian highs often magically return.   Ironically the one time this winter when we did manage an Easterly the continent was very mild.

I have yet to see a single flake of snow this winter and I know that there are plenty of others in the same flooded boat and I'm expecting nothing wintry today neither.

magically like you say,and just as we start getting warm or warmer days we have a nagging chilly east or north easterly off cold north sea ,low cloud an overcoat colder than 20 miles inland ,then you think if only....

:-]

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, Oaks said:

Be clicking on profiles most of the time at this rate when posters just have to type where they live its not hard is it...

Sometimes you just have to make a bit of an effort yourself, unfortunately.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
5 hours ago, Surrey said:

The problem being in the valley is ground water and the update last night from the environment agency is not good.. 

Groundwater flooding in Egham

Flooding is possible - be prepared

Groundwater levels have responded to the recent rainfall across the area and have risen at our observation borehole in Bray in the Egham area. Groundwater levels are above normal for this time of year and have now reached a level where communities may be affected within the next few days by flooding from groundwater. We expect levels to rise over the weekend and into next week in response to rainfall forecast across the area. Low-lying land and roads will therefore be at risk of flooding. Due to the nature of groundwater behaviour, this situation could continue for several weeks or longer. We are continuing to monitor groundwater levels and will update this message tomorrow, 30/01/2021, or as the situation changes.

Several weeks!? 

Yep, I'm afraid the water table is not like a river flood. It's the water in the ground, and it does not just flow away.

Posted
1 hour ago, danm said:

Need the whole system to push back south, bringing the colder air and DP’s with it.

Yep I still think later on around 5pm

Especially north of London could get a covering as dew p dip

Posted
22 minutes ago, TN9 said:

magically like you say,and just as we start getting warm or warmer days we have a nagging chilly east or north easterly off cold north sea ,low cloud an overcoat colder than 20 miles inland ,then you think if only....

:-]

Dipping in here... statistically Spring is far more likely to deliver easterlies than any other time of year, northerlies as well..simple reason jet stream is at its weakest and temp differentials between tropics and pole become less marked especially second half of Spring.

Many a time in May when we say if only it was January!

• Like 3

Posted
9 minutes ago, Polaris said:

Back to rain here now with snowflakes mixed in. 

You now have sleet 

Edited by yamkin
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Siberian
6 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Dipping in here... statistically Spring is far more likely to deliver easterlies than any other time of year, northerlies as well..simple reason jet stream is at its weakest and temp differentials between tropics and pole become less marked especially second half of Spring.

Many a time in May when we say if only it was January!

Another annoyance is the way the PV so soften avoids the Siberian side these days; North America's gain is so often Europe's loss nowadays.  During the fabulous January 1987 event down here seventy plus fahrenheit was recorded in the Eastern US I recall.  I know it is possible to get cold weather in both the Eastern US and Europe but they are rare synoptics.

Posted

Of minor meteorological interest, I can not recall having such a long period of sleet, more than 4 hours, normally I always think of sleet being transitional either to or from snow as the temperature rises or falls, not often the conditions remain conducive to sleet for a long period.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
30 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

will sunday bring a better chance

Whatever lassie, 2021 must be the best year ever, for false radar-returns!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
1 minute ago, General Cluster said:

Whatever lassie, 2021 must be the best year ever, for false radar-returns!

It's all leading to a snowy smarch

• Like 1