Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion January 2021 onwards

Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow and ice days

Wow.. Check out the MO mid and long range updates guys. A BIG upgrade. Doesn’t sound like a short lived cold spell either.

It couldn’t happen could it?

• Like 3

Posted
4 hours ago, TomSE12 said:

Pouring down in S.E. London, too.

Very encouraging 00z Runs again, if you're after a bit of the "White Stuff), especially next Weekend.

On the link below, you will find an animated Forecast for London and other parts, of our Region.

Looks to be cold Rain for our Region Tomorrow, perhaps some Wintriness, over the Chilterns.

London - BBC Weather

On the link below, you will find a recent MeteoGroup Forecast, courtesy of Sarah Keith-Lucas.

IMO, more chance of seeing some Snow around the Region on Sunday, as that cold Easterly starts to undercut the Precipitation, more so than on Saturday.

BBC Weather

Regards,

Tom.  

Cheers Tom, hope you are well ?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather
1 minute ago, Biggin said:

Cheers Tom, hope you are well ?

Fine thanks, Biggin. Hope yourself and your Family are well, too.

Regards,

Tom.  

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !
1 hour ago, Surrey said:

Does now look like tomorrow has slipped the wrong way.. Unfortunately this time round the mild air wins out.. Which means a lot more rain tomorrow and I'm confused to why we don't have a warning for rain given how high rivers are and the ground completely saturated.. 

I'm also not to keen on an easterly wind if it can't deliver.. Rarely do you get frosts as so much clag gets drawn in from the North Sea and we end up with bitterly cold winds under grey skies with not a drop of snow. Boring weather springs to mind.. 

couldn’t agree more Surrey is completely waterlogged standing water everywhere roads flooded between Cobham and Ockham ...

very surprised no warnings re precipitation for this part of world tomorrow..?

• Like 1

Posted
19 minutes ago, lawrenk said:

Wow.. Check out the MO mid and long range updates guys. A BIG upgrade. Doesn’t sound like a short lived cold spell either.

It couldn’t happen could it?

Indeed. Sounds more positive for those of us (especially who haven’t seen much or anything yet) - bring on the beast!

B9A3F8DB-6B9C-48D4-B64E-831058CC00C7.thumb.jpeg.5c28b75369469389877749465bd9c4bc.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted

For those who are worried about flooding/waterlogging in your area (still terrible here, torrents of water running off fields making country roads impassable on foot) spare a thought for the counties around Los Angeles. Las Tablas in San Luis Obispo County has had 15.25 inches in three days, I make that 384mm. Our American cousins have such a great way with words, NWS (National Weather Service) Los Angeles warns people to look out for 'ponding in laneways' on its twitter feed - that's one for you @yamkin

Edited by North Downs Snowboarder
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Badgers01 said:

couldn’t agree more Surrey is completely waterlogged standing water everywhere roads flooded between Cobham and Ockham ...

It is strange.. Maybe they see it that we are all in lockdown so it shouldn't be to much of a hazard I also assume that is the case for snow too.. 

River Thames is nearly at bursting now at Staines according to mum who drove over it for work this morning.. 

On the covid subject.. Its strange in my part of the world. I now know more people that have been vaccinated than have had the virus. 

My sister caught covid at uni.. Got over in in a few weeks normal symptoms and carried on.. The best bit? It took her 3 weeks to get her test result.. When she went for the test back last year in September time.. They told her not to self isolate and carry on in her block as normal.. 

10/10 in her block caught it and got over it with varying symptoms... 

The people I know that have had the vaccine include my mum who works for the NHS.. She had no funny turns and is due her second shot shortly.. My grandad has had both his.. And my nan also has had her first one.. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

so it isn't going to snow now? BOO.

Posted
12 minutes ago, lottiekent said:

Indeed. Sounds more positive for those of us (especially who haven’t seen much or anything yet) - bring on the beast!

B9A3F8DB-6B9C-48D4-B64E-831058CC00C7.thumb.jpeg.5c28b75369469389877749465bd9c4bc.jpeg

Beautiful. The words "coastal snow showers" is music to my ears along with all of the other coasties that have been shafted so badly thus far!

They obviously see no marginality at this stage. Lets hope this lands...

• Like 7

Posted

Yes indeed @Surrey and @Badgers01, very high levels here too, the 'new' garden pond, ie the flooding over the lawn, is even bigger this morning and there are streams in the nearby woodlands where there are usually none. Warmer for the time being, but we need to dry out for sure.

Re: Covid, the only post I plan to make on this is to say the father of one of my son's college classmates died of it on Sunday and even though we didn't know him, it has knocked me for six as my son asked me to explain the messages his classmate was posting in their Discord group, and it's heartbreaking to read the timeline. This lad posted mid-December that his 52 year-old father had tested positive for Covid and they were working out the rules to isolate, then his brother got it, come Boxing Day the dad collapsed and waited while the ambulance operator said they currently had 400 people waiting for an ambulance, 10 days later it was good news the father was moving to a closer hospital as he was improving, his son was looking forward to him coming home as there was a film they were due to watch, next message the father is on oxygen, then a ventilator and the son is upset by seeing his father all covered in tubes, the final message last Sunday as we all enjoyed the snow was that his father was about to die from major organ failure and the family had been called. The father was a custody sergeant for Surrey Police at Staines and was incredibly well-liked with 1000s sharing, liking and commenting on the Facebook page following the announcement of his death. He is not the first person in my orbit to die - one of my neighbours, a 69 year-old lovely care home worker, died back in April and my next door neighbour is suffering long covid. But I so feel for that poor family and all the others reeling from the shock and horror of this terrible disease. I won't discuss covid again here, but I wanted to share this as it really does tell the story of how it plays out for so many.

Edited by Reefseeker
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
15 minutes ago, Southender said:

Beautiful. The words "coastal snow showers" is music to my ears along with all of the other coasties that have been shafted so badly thus far!

They obviously see no marginality at this stage. Lets hope this lands...

Yup. 

And when you have coastal snow showers doesnt take much for a streamer to set up. 

• Like 2

I saw the post today of the police officer that died.. Very sad. 

What strikes me with this is its ability to pick and choose who dies. With flu its almost unheard of that someone young dies of flu or a chest infection.. Covid is coming down to genetics and prior exposure by the looks of things and is a real lottery who gets it bad and who doesn't. 

I did an antibody test in September which showed negative but I was told its only 70% effective.. However in March I was very ill with a high temperature, cough, I ached really bad.. If that was now you would have told me to self isolate and its definitely covid! 

• Like 1

Posted
21 minutes ago, Dami said:

so it isn't going to snow now? BOO.

There’s still a chance for Northern parts of the region to see snow tomorrow as well as Late Monday into Tuesday. 

Probably won’t settle but I always welcome falling snow on this heat island. 

As others have mentioned, rainfall is the main concern. Don’t think I’ve ever seen it so flooded round here since 2014. Fingers & toes another dry spring like last year follows. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October
26 minutes ago, Binsey72 said:

I’d imagine this is just bull crap !! 

B2A65F7F-1483-44D7-9A77-47A67C382491.jpeg

Not so sure BBC shows this also for lunch time for my area but Met office just shows heavy rain all day tomorrow

Screenshot_20210129-151354_BBC Weather.jpg

Posted
1 hour ago, Badgers01 said:

You rich folk down Cobham way could always untie the yachts for a few days and go for a little sail around north Surrey.

• Like 2

Posted
13 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

In A week or so the south east will be the envy of all Uk snow lovers...

496722CF-09EA-4936-A906-7198EE969B71.jpeg

We certainly deserve it. That’s a beautiful beast signal. Just hope it starts counting down and not up for once.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !
25 minutes ago, Wimbledon88 said:

You rich folk down Cobham way could always untie the yachts for a few days and go for a little sail around north Surrey.

Very droll ! At least my swimming pool is full !! The price category gated road I live on is currently having all the drains cleared though at the instruction of Elmbridge council !!

Posted

There’s still some legs in the snow chase tomorrow afternoon in the north west of the region and on high ground further south. This was the 06z ECM for Luton, many ensembles still have snow in London around lunchtime as per my post in the mid thread ....

EC2F15FF-7F2E-4611-A30D-C449C8228A32.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted
19 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

There’s still some legs in the snow chase tomorrow afternoon in the north west of the region and on high ground further south. This was the 06z ECM for Luton, many ensembles still have snow in London around lunchtime as per my post in the mid thread ....

EC2F15FF-7F2E-4611-A30D-C449C8228A32.jpeg

The Gritter truck has just passed my house so maybe something a foot around here. 

Still feels very mild though.