Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion January 2021 onwards

Blessed Weather

Posted
7 minutes ago, Spraggyy said:

Oh really what you think the stuff NW of London or further afield? 

Just this...again nothing substantial more like snow in the air if it makes it that far.

Wednesday is the next possible event with a stalling front showing on the fax charts (but 3 days from now is FI at the mo lol) 

Edit/ think it’ll pass to your west though - there’s a streamer like like if precip setting up - you never know. (That’s code for I’ve started the beers early and I’m not sure so nowcating myself lol) 

072ABC6B-A7D6-447A-BED7-0F42ACE27BC9.jpeg

Edited by Coopsy

Posted
3 minutes ago, Coopsy said:

Just this...again nothing substantial more like snow in the air if it makes it that far.

Wednesday is the next possible event with a stalling front showing on the fax charts (but 3 days from now is FI at the mo lol) 

Edit/ think it’ll pass to your west though 

072ABC6B-A7D6-447A-BED7-0F42ACE27BC9.jpeg

Ahh thanks for the help I did have a look into Wednesday earlier but not getting my hopes up and didn’t bother mentioning it as I’m not sure it will happen 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love a bit of snow
5 minutes ago, yamkin said:

Snow has picked up again in Shirley, Croydon image.png.b41a79147396f5784fcc7cc4b5584683.pngimage.png.b41a79147396f5784fcc7cc4b5584683.pngimage.png.b41a79147396f5784fcc7cc4b5584683.pngimage.png.b41a79147396f5784fcc7cc4b5584683.png

How’s it looking tonight in general mate

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow
3 minutes ago, Kentspur said:

Light sporadic Rlrain/ occasionally.sleety here by the Thames again likes it was for the main event getting used.this we must be the sleet capital of the world here in NW Kent!

Yeah I feel your pain.I did at least 25 minutes of quite heavy snow about 10.30am that coverered everything maybe 0.5cmHowever , it was all gone by 1pm and just had drizzle sleet and occasional snow shower since but nothing of note.Just 10 miles west of me as crow flies and there was a good covering but equally 5 miles east of me seen sweet fa!Now NOrth Sea colder we need a North Easterly to develop and a nice Scandi high would be nice and a Thames streamer to set up.Then we would be in business and join a lot more of the SE thread who got their snow fix today.So far this winter Kent Essex Sussex really had very little to shout about in terms of snow but we are only half way through winter.Still plenty of time❄️

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and ice

This has raised my interest level a little bit . . .

stream.JPG

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, snowbob said:

How’s it looking tonight in general mate

Snow will continue for a time and as this clears later on, ice will be a concern.

Gritters are out treating the Croydon network.

• Thanks 1

Posted

This looks interesting....picked up steam in the last 15 minutes. Move NE to SW. Streamer alert? 

A701450E-2C7F-4E43-AF6D-0E46AEE1598D.png

Edited by Coopsy
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course

It's looking pretty good under the lamppost but not making any impression on the ground. I really must go to bed, is been an emotional day!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Hot,Very cold.scared of thunder and lightning.
1 minute ago, Speedbird said:

This has raised my interest level a little bit . . .

stream.JPG

Just been looking at that.

Just seems to keep churning over and over with no end?

Trouble is ,it is just slipping down the coast line and not making it inland now??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October
38 minutes ago, Hotspur62 said:

Yeah I feel your pain.I did at least 25 minutes of quite heavy snow about 10.30am that coverered everything maybe 0.5cmHowever , it was all gone by 1pm and just had drizzle sleet and occasional snow shower since but nothing of note.Just 10 miles west of me as crow flies and there was a good covering but equally 5 miles east of me seen sweet fa!Now NOrth Sea colder we need a North Easterly to develop and a nice Scandi high would be nice and a Thames streamer to set up.Then we would be in business and join a lot more of the SE thread who got their snow fix today.So far this winter Kent Essex Sussex really had very little to shout about in terms of snow but we are only half way through winter.Still plenty of time❄️

Parts of Kent includinf parts of areas around Maidstone such as Leeds Castle had a couple inches. Ashford and Heathfield etc in Sussex had snow in early December already, even herne Bay on the coast and parts of Essex had some I swear there's not many places that haven't atleast had a very light dusting, it does feel like were alone in the snowless stakes here and the thing with easterlies there's a fine line for us as NElies will benefit all of Kent except for us in the far NW/W of Kent so its always difficult for areas west of about Medway but we shall see there's a lot of background signals in play still like you say the seas are cooling still

Edited by Kentspur
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and ice
1 minute ago, Floatylight said:

Just been looking at that.

Just seems to keep churning over and over with no end?

Trouble is ,it is just slipping down the coast line and not making it inland now??

Appears to be heading south west - MetO just upgraded Southend forecast to heavy snow for midnight - i would expect this to possibly head into NW Kent

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

As I thought it's warning things up, so the last shower was was sleet, I expect it to be that to rain from now on, unless it's very heavy.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW
16 minutes ago, yamkin said:

Snow has picked up again in Shirley, Croydon image.png.b41a79147396f5784fcc7cc4b5584683.pngimage.png.b41a79147396f5784fcc7cc4b5584683.pngimage.png.b41a79147396f5784fcc7cc4b5584683.pngimage.png.b41a79147396f5784fcc7cc4b5584683.png

I hope that’s heading down the M23 ⛄

• Like 1

Posted
24 minutes ago, fluid dynamic said:

We had another snow shower here in motspur park but its now stopped again. Should we prevent further snowfall by ordering another sledge?

As you can see, one of Amazon.co.uk's examples has suffered and is now a write-off. "Blue lightning", as she was known, suffered an impact episode at about 1.30pm while Dad (me) approached the end of the Newlands Corner run, getting a bit too much air. RIP. No other parties were involved. No accident compensation solicitors required thanks!!

20210124_124041.jpg

That gives me an idea for dealing with snow rampers.

'Where there's rain there's a claim'.

Might get overrun with cases

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October

Radar showing snow in Southend heading for between Medway and here?

Edited by Kentspur
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow and ice days
13 minutes ago, Kentspur said:

Parts of Kent like around Maidstone/ Leeds Castle had a couple inches  Ashford and Heathfield etc in Sussex had snow in early December already, even herne Bay on the coast and parts of Essex had some I swear there's not many places that haven't atleast had a very light dusting, it does feel like were alone in the snowless stakes here and the thing with easterlies there's a fine line for us as NElies will benefit all of Kent except for us in the far NW/W of Kent so its always difficult for areas west of about Medway but we shall see there's a lot of background signals in play still like you say the seas are cooling still

Don’t worry, you’re far from alone! In this part of East Sussex, we’ve not even seen a snow flake fall this winter, never mind anything settle.

• Like 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, essex sunshine coast said:

Just had a soft hail shower from that in Clacton on sea

What part of Clacton you in? I'm near Rush Green and just got rain!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & Snowy, Hot & Sunny & Thunderstorms
14 minutes ago, Kentspur said:

Parts of Kent like around Maidstone/ Leeds Castle had a couple inches  Ashford and Heathfield etc in Sussex had snow in early December already, even herne Bay on the coast and parts of Essex had some I swear there's not many places that haven't atleast had a very light dusting, it does feel like were alone in the snowless stakes here and the thing with easterlies there's a fine line for us as NElies will benefit all of Kent except for us in the far NW/W of Kent so its always difficult for areas west of about Medway but we shall see there's a lot of background signals in play still like you say the seas are cooling still

Don't worry Kentspur you are not alone... the Worthing snow shield has been in action all this winter and held strong! I wish someone would break the ruddy thing!

• Like 1

Posted

The next hour could be interesting....

49DD302B-0C6B-446A-A465-8CF06149093B.jpeg

Edited by Coopsy
  • Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Coopsy said:

The next hour could be interesting....

49DD302B-0C6B-446A-A465-8CF06149093B.jpeg

That might just get me but Maidstone and Medway could be interesting 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supercells n snow

Evening all, just been browsing the odd page here and there from about 12 hours ago till now, to see what totals people recorded on this fine day! Must say, it was the first snowfall I have seen in two years, since Feb 2019 I believe, as winter 2020 was just rain rain rain.....

Anyway, started the day off in S Bucks as had been staying with parents for a few days and working in the area. S Bucks got about 7cm. 

Drove up to Ivinghoe Beacon on top of the Chilterns, about 230m up. Roughly 8cm on average though I don't know if you call these drifts, but there were pockets where the snow was deeper and I measured 15cm at one point. 

Late afternoon into early evening, on the drive back to mine in East Hants, I drove up to Black Down hill about 270m asl near Haslemere, Surrey. Unfortunately by the time I got up there it was almost pitch black and I was increasingly paranoid about the state of the roads every minute that passes. I have a jeep with all-terrain snow-rated tyres and it was fantastic today but going down snowy slushy icy hills in the dark with only your headlights is still a bit of a risk. But from what I saw slightly earlier, I think Haslemere and the surrounding high spots in the Surrey S Downs got more snow than S Bucks. They must have had 4 + inches this morning. 

Fingers crossed we get some proper stuff into Feb! (Six inches plus.....I remember 17/18 winter and measuring 1-2 ft drifts on Ivinghoe Beacon! 

Attached is several photos incl Ivinghoe Beacon, parents back garden and the moon between trees tonight during a forest night walk. 

IMG_8664.thumb.JPG.00422e441594206dac2470fae4183f65.JPGIMG_8648.thumb.JPG.083161f4f28f5a063607dd13dc5dad1f.JPGIMG_8643.thumb.JPG.e312aba62f6b96dbc1971642c2bbab12.JPGIMG_8640.thumb.JPG.a3e84e367fd50eed7855ef86be9e4f9f.JPGIMG_8631.thumb.JPG.faa4fd267ffd8ec3538fc47bbceccc0b.JPG

• Like 8

Posted

@Coopsy if you think that or anything else will make my neck of the woods let me know, I’m under strict instructions to wake the other half up if snow becomes heavy or starts laying a little even though she has work at 5am