Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion January 2021 onwards

Blessed Weather

Some of the radar returns are coming in at 14-16mm an hour.. even if you sit under that for 15 minutes that could in theory drop 3.5cm of snow.. 

In ROUGH TERMS 1mm of PPN = 1cm of snow GIVE TAKE/10% at 1/10

Loving the look of the stuff behind the main band too.. Not many models forecasting that right... 

Handy tool for people as well, LIVE SNOW REPORTS:

uksnow-howto.jpg
UKSNOWMAP.COM

See where it is snowing in the UK right now! UK Snow Map uses #uksnow Tweets to draw an up-to-the-minute map of where it is currently snowing in the UK.

Edited by Surrey
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, Surrey said:

Some of the radar returns are coming in at 14-16mm an hour.. even if you sit under that for 15 minutes that could in theory drop 3.5cm of snow.. 

In ROUGH TERMS 1mm of PPN = 1cm of snow GIVE TAKE/10% at 1/10

Loving the look of the stuff behind the main band too.. Not many models forecasting that right... 

Handy tool for people as well, LIVE SNOW REPORTS:

uksnow-howto.jpg
UKSNOWMAP.COM

See where it is snowing in the UK right now! UK Snow Map uses #uksnow Tweets to draw an up-to-the-minute map of where it is currently snowing in the UK.

Is it all going to plan for our general area?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados
1 minute ago, Cableguy said:

Thunder snow reported in Southampton, never witnessed that!

I did once in 2004, awesome

Posted

Met office shows 2hr of heavy snow for me at 1pm. Sleet before. Radar looks good. Let’s see what happens; after how dire everything is ATM, we all deserve one snow day!! 

• Like 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Right I've got the dog and heading up to hind head which has got decent altitude. 

Expect an hour or two of moderate snow and a few cms but we will see.

I would head to Selborne. Big hill there. Looks as though slightly east the better. Its really steep but if you make it before the snow you would do well.

8 minutes ago, Laurence Hill said:

Is it all going to plan for our general area?

Yes.. Actually looks better for more people as southern costal areas are reporting snow and even thunder snow (a rare beast I've only witnessed the vivd pink and purple lightning twice) 

Some of the returns on the radar in the south are proper.. The snow must be mental under them! 

Posted
1 minute ago, Surrey said:

Yes.. Actually looks better for more people as southern costal areas are reporting snow and even thunder snow (a rare beast I've only witnessed the vivd pink and purple lightning twice) 

Some of the returns on the radar in the south are proper.. The snow must be mental under them! 

Thanks Surrey, your reply appreciated.

Posted

Looks like it will have enough intensity to reach us in Kent too! ??

Posted
10 minutes ago, Cableguy said:

Thunder snow reported in Southampton, never witnessed that!

We had thunder and lightning here in southampton with some hail but no snow... raining heavily

11 minutes ago, SHM040519 said:

Met office shows 2hr of heavy snow for me at 1pm. Sleet before. Radar looks good. Let’s see what happens; after how dire everything is ATM, we all deserve one snow day!! 

Sleet? My weather station is recording -2.5 at the moment and a DP of -3...nothing sleety with those Temps! 

Smashed my lowest recorded temp as well on weather station - 4.5 last night here everything is frozen soild.. Even the back door has frost on it! 

Edited by Surrey
  • Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Surrey said:

Sleet? My weather station is recording -2.5 at the moment and a DP of -3...nothong sleety with those Temps! 

Smashed my lowest recoded temp as well on weather station - 4.5 last night here everything is frozen soild.. Even the back door has frost on it! 

Sleet has since gone! It is -2 here atm. Just heavy snow now. We are 15/20 miles from the south coast so shouldn’t have any rain issues here ?? 

822CAAD3-0A76-4AB9-BCDA-7668386EBB54.png

Edited by SHM040519

Posted

You must be very unlucky or right on the coast as the temp gradient from snow/rain is about 15-20miles 

Screenshot_20210124_065908_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.c604ac7479269913fc3328445f8c02a0.jpg

Yep a mile inland onshore winds so never a chance of seeing the white stuff really.. be the same for the entire coast need to be a good 5 miles inland i would say

Posted
2 minutes ago, Kreftysoton said:

Yep a mile inland onshore winds so never a chance of seeing the white stuff really.. be the same for the entire coast need to be a good 5 miles inland i would say

Here we go this is pretty spot on with accuracy right now.

Screenshot_20210124-070343_Weather&Radar.jpg

Posted

Very happy waking up this morning and seeing a slight upgrade for Kent, as I went to sleep around midnight it was 4-5 hrs of light rain, now have 3 hours of heavy snow followed by 2 hours of sleet.

Was not expecting that !!  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual works for me...!

For once it all looks to be being brought forward, and the front itself looks bigger. I think this is going to be a more widespread event than was anticipated. Good!

Where do we think the SE sweet spot will be..?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

Nice thick frosty sirface for it to lay on to

Also strange only a yellow warning from the met when the last snow event was no where near what could happen today and there was an orange warning out for that

Edited by Frostbite1980
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, IanT said:

For once it all looks to be being brought forward, and the front itself looks bigger. I think this is going to be a more widespread event than was anticipated. Good!

Where do we think the SE sweet spot will be..?

Leith hil or box Hill.. 80%

Luton/Rickmansworth higher ground 20% if front is touch further north 

Edited by Surrey

Posted
3 minutes ago, Surrey said:

Leith hil or box Hill.. 80%

Luton/Rickmansworth higher ground 20% if front is touch further north 

Just having breakfast before I walk up to Leith Hill - about a four mile walk from me. I might end up just going to Coldharbour.