Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion January 2021 onwards

Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Frosty Mornings
2 minutes ago, Polaris said:

Birmingham/Wolverhampton and areas NW have done very well this winter. 

Rain starting here again in Woburn, Beds 

Chucking it down here now as well, for a change.

Posted
3 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

Been here since the first day, member number 8 in fact. And like others used to be on BBC Snow watch or Slow Watch as it was called when the Mods closed the forum every night at 10pm 

I remember BBC Snow Watch. Good banter, but tensions were high at times. Was this one of the reasons why it was scrapped?

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

Rain area is shrinking with sleet or snow either side 

38B1BAD3-DEA1-4BCA-8883-AA32F414F382.jpeg

Yes, best chance of real snow west Cambs up through to Norfolk 

Ppn dying out by the hour to the south 

• Like 1

Posted

Thinking back to old forums I remember reading a newsgroup/Usenet?? UK.si or something (Will Hand) Springs to mind as someone who posted their, ukweatherworld forum and TWO.

Edited by zubzero

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October

Been here since around 2004 can't actually remember only that I had just started my degree in Tourism management at Herts Uni in Hatfield, always was a degree or 2 colder than NW Kent there and Herts always used to benefit from some small snow accumulation events up there that wwre over the Midlands etc, that often missed London and Kent etc such as Feb 2006 we had a good 6inches off of a channel runner that stuck around for several days yet  back home in Dartford there was half the snow amount that apparently melted in a day! Crazy difference 

Edited by Kentspur

Posted
23 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

Been here since the first day, member number 8 in fact. And like others used to be on BBC Snow watch or Slow Watch as it was called when the Mods closed the forum every night at 10pm 

Snow watch was hilarious! How do you find out what member number you are?

Posted
49 minutes ago, Great Plum said:

Evening everyone. Looks like we may get a dusting this weekend in Surrey?

Ive just realised I’ve been on this site for about 18 years - I joined in 2003 - anyone else around from that time?

(also, am I allowed to ask what has happened to Steve Murr?)

All fingers and toes crossed for snowfall with the spiders webs and cobwebs cleared off the sledges in the shed. Probably jinxed it now! Since last week's non-snow event, I've been spying out possible sledging locations that won't be too busy but fall in the 'local area', just in case, you never know... Although with barely a few flakes falling since the new year, even the family are making fun of the potential event now⛄

Just checked my profile - 2008, so a noob in comparison to you and Paul Sherman. I was on the Metcheck forum (never posted) before finding Netweather after events over there. Was it you, Great Plum, who during the - maybe 2010 cold spell - put out a message in case anyone had a 4x4 and could help out your stranded wife? Or was that someone else? The old memory....;)

Rain earlier, cleared now for the evening dog walk so nice and wintry feeling.

• Like 3

Posted
19 minutes ago, yamkin said:

I remember BBC Snow Watch. Good banter, but tensions were high at times. Was this one of the reasons why it was scrapped?

Not considered a good use of taxpayer money to moderate. And boy did that need moderating. 

There were lots of forums on BBC website that were scrapped

• Like 2

Posted
27 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

How is Davina, by the way

Posted
Just now, Reefseeker said:

All fingers and toes crossed for snowfall with the spiders webs and cobwebs cleared off the sledges in the shed. Probably jinxed it now! Since last week's non-snow event, I've been spying out possible sledging locations that won't be too busy but fall in the 'local area', just in case, you never know... Although with barely a few flakes falling since the new year, even the family are making fun of the potential event now⛄

Just checked my profile - 2008, so a noob in comparison to you and Paul Sherman. I was on the Metcheck forum (never posted) before finding Netweather after events over there. Was it you, Great Plum, who during the - maybe 2010 cold spell - put out a message in case anyone had a 4x4 and could help out your stranded wife? Or was that someone else? The old memory....;)

Rain earlier, cleared now for the evening dog walk so nice and wintry feeling.

Yes, that was me! Gosh that was a difficult evening - my pregnant wife stuck on the a217 while I was at home with my 18 month old! 

(she’d left Epsom at 2.30pm when I told her to leave because the snow would be bad but the roads snarled up. She eventually got home in Reigate at 1.30am)

• Like 1

Posted

I joined net weather on 10th August 2003, which was until recently, the hottest ever in the UK.

I joined and started a new thread immediately saying the hottest temp record had been broken at Heathrow - you wouldn't get away with being able to do that these days.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Frosty Mornings

Rain getting heavier here and now 2c with a 70% chance of frozen mix??

Posted
1 minute ago, Laurence Hill said:

A pity SM is not with us.  He gave great support.

Blessed with technical knowledge 

A tendency to over ramp scenarios

Possible anger management issues

Still available on other platforms

• Like 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, Great Plum said:

Yes, that was me! Gosh that was a difficult evening - my pregnant wife stuck on the a217 while I was at home with my 18 month old! 

(she’d left Epsom at 2.30pm when I told her to leave because the snow would be bad but the roads snarled up. She eventually got home in Reigate at 1.30am)

So scary for you both/all! Not had snow like it since in our local area.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, chionomaniac said:

I was talking about south of the M4. Any winter night that reaches freezing, one can expect ice - but is that worthy of a warning?  Freezing rain is, but general frost and ice on a expected cold winters night. Nope not for me.  Save the warning for more severe conditions.

I'd say so, I nearly had a bad car crash today due to black ice and it was just lucky that I was aware of the ice risk in that area so was mentally prepared for it and put the car into the hedges instead. If someone wasn't being careful, then that would have potentially ended in a car on car collision quite easily

Posted
Just now, Reefseeker said:

So scary for you both/all! Not had snow like it since in our local area.

It’s still a talking point. When Angie managed to get down Reigate hill, she counted 27 abandoned cars!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October

Icon 18z now extends the snowfall into Monday afternoon for some parts we like short term upgrades

Screenshot_20210122-213623_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Kentspur said:

Icon 18z now extends the snowfall into Monday afternoon for some parts we like short term upgrades

Screenshot_20210122-213623_Samsung Internet.jpg

We deserve this so bad lol. Glad to say UKV continues as prior 15z confidence now increasing for London/SE. Also seems some scattered wintry showers are going to drift our way late afternoon tomorrow.  

885EA14E-E292-49F3-88D9-AB2633BA7F90.thumb.png.e9839f8400a63126350ef4ed010045b8.pngD7AB3CC2-403C-4C9D-A05A-2708418DA1CA.thumb.png.9de242e7bca7ed2f12bc3b19816bd0e9.png

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Stu_London said:

Sunday is starting to look favourable PPN wise

Am I allowed to use the M word

Marginality - must be a concern, no?

Broadly the models are drawing the same lines as well they did last time round when we had something broadly similar.

ARPEGE/Euro4 on the southern end of the range, and some of the globals much further north.

That time round it was more to the south BUT the Euro4 was way too far south (it stuck with almost to the end having no precip even within a 100 miles of the SW, in the end it did give some rain/sleet/snow to parts of the SW, even as far as east as here for a short time.

I'm a little cautious about Sunday though, only because the models are now strengthening the LP faster, which will have the effect of curving the band faster and limit how far north it will extend into the region.

• Like 1