Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion January 2021 onwards

Blessed Weather

Posted
1 minute ago, Jamie M said:

I see that suggests the kitchen sink early Saturday then.

image.thumb.png.4f53b84c1eb73139a272e77bdc8f34fb.png image.thumb.png.095233147c137ceb73897a07abd3402b.png

I'm inside this one! but I suspect mostly for the ice risk reading the text.

• Thanks 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Jamie M said:

I see that suggests the kitchen sink early Saturday then.

image.thumb.png.4f53b84c1eb73139a272e77bdc8f34fb.png image.thumb.png.095233147c137ceb73897a07abd3402b.png

That will be mainly for the showers tonight, like I posted on the last page and shown by UKV. Will be hit and miss but anywhere inland with a bit of altitude could see a dusting tonight 

Posted
1 minute ago, Tim Bland said:

That will be mainly for the showers tonight, like I posted on the last page and shown by UKV. Will be hit and miss but anywhere inland with a bit of altitude could see a dusting tonight 

Beat me to it by a whisker!

Posted
10 minutes ago, Southender said:

METO getting trigger happy with the warnings again I see ??‍♂️

We are living in a very risk averse world. 

Just can't see it happening. No scientific reason. Its just that they are flip flopping all over the place, at 36 hours out. Seriously lads!

Sunny and 6c in SW London. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Another baffling, lazy "snow and ice" warning from the UKMO. Why are we being lumped in with a snow warning for Scotland?

Members of the public will just see "snow and ice warning" and interpret that as we'll be getting snow. Their warning system and page is a farce.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.

Sorry, can't post charts, but the WRF NMM 06z showing a few chances - maybe light snow/sleet Saturday night and Sunday afternoon into the early hours of Monday morning. 

Posted
23 minutes ago, snowblind said:

I'm just outside it

I know that feeling many a time something coming in from this direction doesn't make it up to me. Apart from when it is all rain.

The larger ice and snow warning is a good shout to me .. The reason being is there is the chance of showers making it quite far inland across that whole warning area.. most high res models have numerous shower chances and different points within that warning time.. 

If someone 5 miles away does catch a shower and then it freezes up overnight there is an ice risk.. The issue is it could fall as pretty much anything hail sleet snow or rain and minor/small geographical locations/ features will dictate what falls.

While someone who missed the shower asks what all the fuss is about .. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
11 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Another baffling, lazy "snow and ice" warning from the UKMO. Why are we being lumped in with a snow warning for Scotland?

Members of the public will just see "snow and ice warning" and interpret that as we'll be getting snow. Their warning system and page is a farce.

Yep, they could delineate areas on their maps with the different accumulations of snow in the general warning area for Saturday, i.e. 5-10cm high ground of Scotland, N. ireland and N England, then 1-3cm for the rest of the warning area, would make more clearer and quicker for joe public who don't want to click through to the text.

Posted
12 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Completely agree it is pure lazyness. 

They really cannot give a damn, why not split the UK into areas and load 4 maps on there warning page, its not hard to have a snapshot of Scotland with a yellow warning and then others for other areas and a more in depth discussion on it, I will offer to do it for them it they like as I am bored.com

1 minute ago, Paul Sherman said:

They really cannot give a damn, why not split the UK into areas and load 4 maps on there warning page, its not hard to have a snapshot of Scotland with a yellow warning and then others for other areas and a more in depth discussion on it, I will offer to do it for them it they like as I am bored.com

I see both yours and Nicks point.. Perhaps separating the warnings would give clearer advice.. Although I must admit not many joe public take much notice of the met office warnings. I would also assume that due to covid not many are in the office and data sorting etc etc is probably difficult at the moment. 

That said, the showers and bits to the West currently coming into western areas is due to move over our region later today so I guess thats why they want to cover it as it may/might/not lead to some minor accumulations in places and certainly a higher ice chance..

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

I prefer the old style where they used to do it on a county by county basis!

• Like 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, Surrey said:

The larger ice and snow warning is a good shout to me .. The reason being is there is the chance of showers making it quite far inland across that whole warning area.. most high res models have numerous shower chances and different points within that warning time.. 

If someone 5 miles away does catch a shower and then it freezes up overnight there is an ice risk.. The issue is it could fall as pretty much anything hail sleet snow or rain and minor/small geographical locations/ features will dictate what falls.

While someone who missed the shower asks what all the fuss is about .. 

But snow isn't going to be a hazard, it's just ice. Describing the SE as under threat of snow and ice is lazy and misleading.

Posted
1 minute ago, Surrey said:

Some high res do give a dusting in places but its thin and far between... Yes agree ice more a risk but you never know someone with some elevation might get lucky.. 

A dusting doesn't warrant a weather warning though. For the SE warning to say "travel may be disrupted by snowfall" is utterly wrong. 

• Like 2

Posted

According to the ensembles sun night / Monday morning is the highest chance of seeing snowfall in the London area

79CE9757-3CC8-4E84-94C6-D60058E236EA.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Jamie M said:

image.thumb.png.40be37678cef220a8a7319e52a3afae7.png

Not again

We now know where the MetO's chief forecaster gets his/her weather warning updates from......The Daisy Express 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
1 hour ago, Jamie M said:

image.thumb.png.40be37678cef220a8a7319e52a3afae7.png

Not again

They haven't left the coast off this time at least.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
1 hour ago, Wimbledon88 said:

We are living in a very risk averse world. 

Just can't see it happening. No scientific reason. Its just that they are flip flopping all over the place, at 36 hours out. Seriously lads!

Sunny and 6c in SW London. 

That means the uppers are cold, otherwise like other years recently, it would be sunny and twelve c or so.