Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion January 2021 onwards

Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Cold Cold

I hate to be do despondent but what an awful night, if anything apart from rain fell it was very wet snow/sleet and had no chance, very wet here (Farnham), Surrey) all night, just rubbish temps after a hopeful start! 

if you have snow, enjoy it! X 

temp 5.9

dp 5.5 

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, snowspotter said:

It’s the early bird that catches the snow ! . To be precise I left house in dark set of on 10km round trip to Reigate Hill.

snow started here around 5:30 am and lasted I guess max 2.5 hours . Set off through Reigate Park then onwards uphill . Was great at top , windy and very cold . At least we got a snow fix . Got home at 9:30 missus still in bed sleeping . Pleased I went really enjoyed the morning

6EC06155-76FC-469F-A531-FD59C1E874B1.jpeg

39574F89-DC8F-449F-BD1D-4B2B2410F006.jpeg

85FD87F8-FDF6-42C2-9022-B49880E15D2C.jpeg

81F523C7-C58D-4414-9753-19A09B9CB7DA.jpeg

9CA0AD65-AC0D-442B-B08E-4CA76C19458C.jpeg

There should never been an amber warning.

• Like 1

Posted

bitter here still even after it’s moved through, i was expecting a rapid thaw and rise in temps but it seems to be going slowly. temp just below 1c minimal signs of melting except a slight drip from the neighbours gutter

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, TonyK said:

Full credit to the Met Office, not sure about other areas but for St Albans  they got the forecast pretty much spot on. 

definitely warranted the amber warning locally for the Norfolk area, treacherous road conditions especially as the snow somehow completely coated most of the roads gritted late last night 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

Massive bust for the likes of EURO4/HARMONIE, worth remembering that for future events, both of those models massively massively over-did the snowfall potential. 

UKV/AROME generally spot on when it came to accumulating snowfall based on reports here/Twitter. Higher ground generally across the SE with most seeing a period of transient (non accumulating) snowfall. 

I woke up about 6 and it was raining here, areas further east seemed to fair better, the front didn't slow down quite as much as models had expected.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Looks like some parts in the east of the region (away from direct coasts exposed to the southerly wind) got up to around 5/6cm according to reports.

Hard to judge how white this could have got given the speed the precipitation moved through as well as the intensity of it. Turns out it moved through a little quicker than expected. Probably a fair forecast, enough of a warning to cover central/eastern parts of East Anglia in the event there was more widespread disruption.

Posted
11 minutes ago, Valleyboy said:

There should never been an amber warning.

Don’t think there was down here . Met Office always cover worst case scenario. What I had is the best since 2018 which isn’t saying much ! 

Posted

Hi all,

Lovely to see some peeps in the region with snow!

woke up around 6am and it was sleeting with a temp of 3.1. Went back to sleep and I assume it just turned to rain here, like we have now. Temp currently 4.8.

Haven't had a covering of snow here since March 2013 (which was epic), aside from the beast in 2018 although that was more impressive here for the low temp, not for the amount of snowfall which was small.

Let's see what the rest of winter brings...

Posted

Been out for a coup!e of hours with my daughter this morning building snow men and having snowball fights. Similar amount to December 4th, about 3cms. All gone to slush now though. Was fun to get out in the snow for a bit.

Currently sleet and 0.8c.

Edited by snowblind

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Hot,Very cold.scared of thunder and lightning.

Not a bad lot for colchester.

3rd lane covered on a12 not in use.

Had 2 hrs of rain now but has shifted it much.

3 car prangs on a12 on a 3 mile stretch!

So eyes onto the next chance.

We are on start of Jan.

Plenty of winter left for those who didn't get a touch this time.x

20210116_092452.jpg

• Like 2

Posted

Well it was all about altitude. Where i live in lowland Maidstone , no snow accumulation. But i took a very early walk to the north downs (40mins) and it was  winter galore. 5cm on Boxley and Detling Downs. Problem was the snow suddenly stopped and turned to sluicing rain while i was still up in the hills. It was a soaking experience on the way home. Plus I slipped over and got  caked with mud

• Like 2

Posted
13 minutes ago, Binsey72 said:

So when is the next bit of snow excitement? Can’t see anything before Friday at least 

Probably February.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Seasonal

Starting to ease off here. Probably the 3-5 cm predicted. Not bad considering we are only 8 miles from the coast and just 11m asl

3B3A539F-941F-45C0-B10F-A0FE02FA7ED2.jpeg

AFBEC509-6D27-4854-9270-602A6687B9CE.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted

Some great pics of rain on here. Cheers. Always new there would never be any snow in the capital. Not disappointed in the slightest Expected nought. 

6c and drizzle here just now. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Cold.

No snow here now just rain... wish I was in Liverpool at the moment

0E598847-1977-4386-BC31-1B71DA92E472.png

Posted
50 minutes ago, Met4Cast said:

Massive bust for the likes of EURO4/HARMONIE, worth remembering that for future events, both of those models massively massively over-did the snowfall potential. 

UKV/AROME generally spot on when it came to accumulating snowfall based on reports here/Twitter. Higher ground generally across the SE with most seeing a period of transient (non accumulating) snowfall. 

I woke up about 6 and it was raining here, areas further east seemed to fair better, the front didn't slow down quite as much as models had expected.

its definitely not the first time those models have over played the snow - I’ve seen them do it many times before! Old news. I think the GFS needs credit where credit is due as it has generally got today spot on, and has done quite often when it comes to precip/snow over the seasons. I generally believe the GFS more than others for this reason.  All the charts have their moments but certainly NEVER take the Euro4/Harmonie snow forecast literally! 

Today was always going to be on a knife edge and unlikely to be decent with the warm front rattling through like that and mild uppers on its tail, it didn’t take me by surprise at all. I knew the likes of the meto/beeb were over-egging the potential big time. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything interesting!
32 minutes ago, Binsey72 said:

So when is the next bit of snow excitement? Can’t see anything before Friday at least 

Doubt we'll see anything more now for a fair while. Unless it's another slush fest.

Output looks decidedly wet for the foreseeable I think. Which is splendid news, as I think the garden needs it ?‍♀️