Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion January 2021 onwards

Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms!! (With the odd gale thrown in)
5 minutes ago, North Downs Snowboarder said:

Just took a look at the SW England thread - reports of snow around Bristol, Bath, the Salisbury Plain even coastal Weston-Super-Mare. So not just the higher ground of Dartmoor, Quantocks and Cotswolds. I don't want to jinx things, but timing of the precipitation could be in our favour as it could last well after 4pm.

And the dewpoints in that area are the same, or a degree higher than for most inland places in the SE, so it bodes well for us.

2 minutes ago, Sno' problem said:

Far more precipitation around than many models suggested, with dewpoints just over 0ºc in our region, there could well be a covering for some people this afternoon.

Dewpoint Screenshot 2021-01-31 .png

Radar Screenshot 2021-01-31 .png

Hope some people do get lucky but from the MET looks like most of it will be damp drizzly stuff. Does not feel too bad in Walthamstow today, but that is probably because I was tidying up outside and I didn't feel the cold. 

As far as the Longer term I am getting the feeling everything is getting washed away day by day. I sometimes wonder why people get so excited by f1 charts, I would not be surprised now if nothing comes out of this cold spell expected. In fact just imagine we end up with very mild weather. Things can stilll change and who knows what the weather gods have got in store, just takes me back a week ago what a different day it was with many snow reports from our region. 

Stay safe

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
1 minute ago, lassie23 said:

The beast has been slain , so they are saying in the MOD thread

Of course it has, as it never existed yet in the first place. Who knows what will happen this time next week, I'm thinking no one.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW! And a good thunderstorm

Precip edging closer as per radar, Temp 3.4C and DP -0.1C here, so I'm hoping it falls as snow. 

In Reading, 70m ASL

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
2 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Of course it has, as it never existed yet in the first place. Who knows what will happen this time next week, I'm thinking no one.

More of a puppy than a beast 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
1 minute ago, E17boy said:

Hope some people do get lucky but from the MET looks like most of it will be damp drizzly stuff. Does not feel too bad in Walthamstow today, but that is probably because I was tidying up outside and I didn't feel the cold. 

As far as the Longer term I am getting the feeling everything is getting washed away day by day. I sometimes wonder why people get so excited by f1 charts, I would not be surprised now if nothing comes out of this cold spell expected. In fact just imagine we end up with very mild weather. Things can stilll change and who knows what the weather gods have got in store, just takes me back a week ago what a different day it was with many snow reports from our region. 

Stay safe

Just so you know, fi for fantasy Island, although I always read it as fl for fantasy land, as they have a capital I after a small f 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms in summer, cold/snow in winter
6 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Exactly, no-one knows. Could be a 3 bites at the cherry scenario! We'll probably know for sure by this evening

Posted

yes quite a big setback for any cold spell with this mornings models with the GFS taking a step towards the ECM, which to be fair has never bought into any meaningful easterly regime

There is still lots model uncertainty, which means nothing is nailed on for certain and we still have a cold outlook on the UKMO model and a decent cold block to our east. I think the GFS para was still going cold as of the 00z, but that model is very much on its own.

If their was shift back towards a cold spell with the afternoon output, it certainly would not be the first time that had happened in recent weeks, but the reality is whilst you have one of the UKMO or ECM not on board, you cannot bank anything

Edited by Stu_London
  • Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Polaris said:

A lot of ppn on radar not making it to the ground in my area, folk in midland thread also confirming the same. 

Alot of the very weak returns are indeed not making it, but that line of heavier precip does appear to be making it. 

Currently I have a light very sleety mix. If it picks up any more it will probably turn to snow but none of it is going to settle here I don't think.

Still more than could have been expected today based on models even 24hrs ago!

And people are stressing over models 144hrs+ out....

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

Good afternoon Everybody, 

Short notice, been on and off rain here nothing much to report it is now a case of waiting, we might even have a week or two untill the Beast Begins If it begins. 

Xander

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

3°C cold rain here. Not even a hint of sleetiness 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle
6 minutes ago, chionomaniac said:

3°C cold rain here. Not even a hint of sleetiness 

Welcome to the South East And East Anglia Thread I'm your host Mr drizzly rain and beside me is my Co host mr cloudy. 

Edited by Hurricane Squad
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supercells n snow
19 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Alot of the very weak returns are indeed not making it, but that line of heavier precip does appear to be making it. 

Currently I have a light very sleety mix. If it picks up any more it will probably turn to snow but none of it is going to settle here I don't think.

Still more than could have been expected today based on models even 24hrs ago!

And people are stressing over models 144hrs+ out....

How high up are you in Liphook? I'm over Liss way just N of Petersfield only 70m ASL and it's been sleety rain for probably going on an hour now, slightly heavier over the last half hour but not what I'd actually define as "heavy." 

Wonder what it's like over Black Down Hill, Haslemere, 270m up. 

Also, there's a beautiful woodland out in the sticks 10 mins west of me, and the views from the top are amazing. 240m ASL there, wonder if it's snowing. Tempted to possibly drive over there in a while. 

Posted

Oh, snow now falling amongst the rain here. If things get a little heavier/snowier, I'll drive off to see what they're like 240m up. 

• Like 1

Posted

Big flakes now falling light-moderately amongst rain. Cannot see this settling though unless it packs a real punch. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Fog, Frost, Storms and Rain if it rains like it means it.

Sleety cold stuff in Fleet. OH just messaged to say light snow in Basingstoke.