Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion January 2021 onwards

Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything interesting!

Poxy morning here in Chelmsford, windy and yet more rain. Cat sorely regretting his decision to wake me up at 1 am to go out. 

Not many analogies left to describe the current conditions. Not even an otter's pocket does it justice. 

Not even that fussed on talk of easterlies at the moment. I'm craving warm dry weather, and a walk round the park with the kids in the sunshine. Somebody hit the fast forward button please! 

• Like 2

The problem being in the valley is ground water and the update last night from the environment agency is not good.. 

Groundwater flooding in Egham

Flooding is possible - be prepared

Groundwater levels have responded to the recent rainfall across the area and have risen at our observation borehole in Bray in the Egham area. Groundwater levels are above normal for this time of year and have now reached a level where communities may be affected within the next few days by flooding from groundwater. We expect levels to rise over the weekend and into next week in response to rainfall forecast across the area. Low-lying land and roads will therefore be at risk of flooding. Due to the nature of groundwater behaviour, this situation could continue for several weeks or longer. We are continuing to monitor groundwater levels and will update this message tomorrow, 30/01/2021, or as the situation changes.

Several weeks!? 

• Like 2

Posted

Dry, windy start here, definately feeling that easterly breeze, unfortunately looks like the rain is about to reach us, which we just dont want or need, the flood waters have receeded enough to be able to walk through with wellies on, any more rain and up they will rise again

Posted

Judging by the radar the rain is approximately 20-25 miles further north than forcast. Also I really wasn't the temperature to have dropped so quickly once it started raining.  Now 1.8c but I am right on the northern extent of the front in north Essex 

Edited by fine wine

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, frost and snow

Rain now turned to snow here just outside Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk. Fairly big flakes now coming down.

Edited by NewEra21
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.

@General Cluster If you're awake, can you have a look to see if it's snowing in your area 

lastsnowradar_uk.gif

Edited by D.V.R
deleted image
  • Like 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, D.V.R said:

@General Cluster If you're awake, can you have a look to see if it's snowing in your area 

lastsnowradar_uk.gif

A few flakes blowing in the wind but it's not really doing much of anything at the moment rain or snow in this part of North Essex.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny in the summer, cold and snowy in the winter
11 minutes ago, fine wine said:

And just like that the rain has turned to snow in Essex, 6 miles north of Halstead 

Still rain, 6 miles south of Halstead 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warmth, sun, blue sky, and the odd bit of snow on a weekend would do nicely

Radar has been showing snow here in Mid Norfolk for the last hour but bone dry and windy, obviously disappearing before it hits the ground, happened last week as well, so bloody annoying.

Posted

So yet again - GFS wins with the precip band position? Seems that way...

Currently grey, windy and cold with some drizzle in the air in Ely, Cambs. Snow unlikely to settle much today where it does fall? I would be surprised , unless under the heaviest PPN... never the less, flakes will be nice where they fall! 

Posted
1 hour ago, Surrey said:

8mm now total just this morning.. 

Stuck under that really heavy rain to the west of London.. 

Fear for people around our local river the Bourne.. Its above the flood line now I'm excepting a few severe flood warnings to kick in soon around the south east.. 

Well these are my local 'get to higher ground ' alerts, maybe if you find really high ground you might see some sleet fantastic everyones a winner.... 

Middle River Medway

Flooding is possible - be prepared

Flooding of roads and low lying land is expected from 3pm this afternoon until tomorrow morning, 31 January 2021. We expect flooding to affect Tonbridge playing fields, together with low lying land and roads from Tonbridge th Middle River Medwayrough Tudeley and East Peckham.

River Bourne from Hadlow to East Peckham

Flooding of roads and low lying land is expected from midday until midnight today, 30 January 2021 close to the rivers, particularly on and around the River Bourne at Hadlow and Little Mill. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards,Hot Thundery nights.
12 hours ago, Tim Bland said:

I don’t think ECM will be far off, it’s rarely wrong at 12hrs out 

4DA6B5AD-1C3C-4C03-AF50-E53BFF1179A0.jpeg

Rain/wet snow/sleet mush with freezing wind in Cambourne 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.

Does it ever stop raining.
Considering we dont have a zonal train of lows raging over us, I have never known as much rain to fall and for it often to be just above it being cold enough to snow a lot of the time.

Just imagine if the last few weeks was cold enough for it to be snow.

I dont care if the cold comes and we dont get much snow just so it stops raining.

Never mind wait till April when we get a month of no rain and we get the please dont use much water there could be a water shortage......

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
2 hours ago, Surrey said:

Weather station has recorded in the last 4 days 42mm of rain for my location.. 6mm so far this morning.. 

Not overly a massive amount but when you have high rivers already and saturated ground river levels etc can go up and down quite quickly.. 

I think some serious flooding is an inevitability, unfortunately. 

Not much better here in Prague, been lashing it down with rain and sleet for the last two days as temperatures have been just on the wrong side of marginal. Though heavy rain has suddenly turned to heavy snow this morning, and it’s now 0°C ?? I would like to see some nice winter sunshine soon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather
40 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

Is there a freeze on the way from Scandinavia next weekend

Morning all,

Hope I find yourself and your Families, well.

Tipping it down here, in S.E. London.

Hi Lassie,

The extended outlook from MeteoGroup last Night was fairly bullish about some Wintry Weather arriving from the E/NE.

But as Tim (Froze were the Days) mentioned, there were quite a few "coulds", in the Forecast.

I thought what was pretty significant though, was the Met Office update, as we go into February.

The Meto are normally very reticent about using the "S" word but it was mentioned quite  a few times, in Yesterday's update.

There aren't many Posters in the Model Thread, that I take notice of. The exceptions being our own Nick F, Nick S. and Singularity.

Was a bit concerned to read Singularity's comments, last Night.

He was suggesting that Models had picked up a signal for the Polar Jet Stream to strengthen, which would inhibit the chances of Scandinavian height rises.

Having viewed the 00z Runs, it does seem that the overnight runs, have indeed lost their appetite for this scenario.

And way out in "la la land", the American Model (G.F.S.), suggests that the Purple Venom, will be reorganising close to Greenland, with any height rises, confined to the U.K.:

image.thumb.png.ab26181df647ef247b27602ec64d9626.png

If I were be allowed to "cherry pick", one of the 00z runs, the award would have to go to the GEM Model. This for Sun.7th Feb (t192):

image.thumb.png.fbb4a556cee5f6069de8fe244e14f26b.png

As a Member suggested on the Model Thread, "BANK" the 00z run of the Canadian Model.

Some reports of Snow at elevation in the Midlands Thread, ocurring now .

But for us South-Easterners, it looks to be a "Cold Rain" event, with a bit of Wintriness probably confined to the Chilterns.

With a colder Night to come Tonight, we may have a little more chance of a bit of the "white gold", Tomorrow.

So, as we enter the Final 3rd of the "Match", Lassie's O.F.I. (October Fog Index), still holding the lead but let's hope Winter can equalise and take this Season, into Extra Time!!

Right, I have the Final Day of my Horse Racing Competition to "host" and I see that our Lassie has posted up his Selections and I need to get over to the Lounge Thread, "toute de suite."

Hope you all enjoy, whatever falls from your Sky, Today!! Stay safe and take care.

Regards,

Tom.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Posted
32 minutes ago, D.V.R said:

lastsnowradar_uk.gif

Living only a few miles south west of GC, I can say, it is not snowing, nor raining, although the radar has us under light rain currently. The strong easterly is keeping it at bay at the moment.

Edited by Blazerblue

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

The precipitation has turned wintry now, a sleety mix.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
4 minutes ago, TomSE12 said:

Morning all,

Hope I find yourself and your Families, well.

Tipping it down here, in S.E. London.

Hi Lassie,

The extended outlook from MeteoGroup last Night was fairly bullish about some Wintry Weather arriving from the E/NE.

But as Tim (Froze were the Days) mentioned, there were quite a few "coulds", in the Forecast.

I thought what was pretty significant though, was the Met Office update, as we go into February.

The Meto are normally very reticent about using the "S" word but it was mentioned quite  a few times, in Yesterday's update.

There aren't many Posters in the Model Thread, that I take notice of. The exceptions being our own Nick F, Nick S. and Singularity.

Was a bit concerned to read Singularity's comments, last Night.

He was suggesting that Models had picked up a signal for the Polar Jet Stream to strengthen, which would inhibit the chances of Scandinavian height rises.

Having viewed the 00z Runs, it does seem that the overnight runs, have indeed lost their appetite for this scenario.

And way out in "la la land", the American Model (G.F.S.), suggests that the Purple Venom, will be reorganising close to Greenland, with any height rises, confined to the U.K.:

image.thumb.png.ab26181df647ef247b27602ec64d9626.png

If I were be allowed to "cherry pick", one of the 00z runs, the award would have to go to the GEM Model. This for Sun.7th Feb (t192):

image.thumb.png.fbb4a556cee5f6069de8fe244e14f26b.png

As a Member suggested on the Model Thread, "BANK" the 00z run of the Canadian Model.

Some reports of Snow at elevation in the Midlands Thread, ocurring now .

But for us South-Easterners, it looks to be a "Cold Rain" event, with a bit of Wintriness probably confined to the Chilterns.

With a colder Night to come Tonight, we may have a little more chance of a bit of the "white gold", Tomorrow.

So, as we enter the Final 3rd of the "Match", Lassie's O.F.I. (October Fog Index), still holding the lead but let's hope Winter can equalise and take this Season, into Extra Time!!

Right, I have the Final Day of my Horse Racing Competition to "host" and I see that our Lassie has posted up his Selections and I need to get over to the Lounge Thread, "toute de suite."

Hope you all enjoy, whatever falls from your Sky, Today!! Stay safe and take care.

Regards,

Tom.  

Thanks for your detailed response Tom, much appreciated.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything below 0c or above 20c. Also love a good thunderstorm!

I'm genuinely intrigued to see what the weather stats will be for Jan. Maybe it's because I'm at home and noticing the weather more, but at 26 I've never known such an awful month weather wise.

Even in stormy spells like Feb 2020 or Dec 2013, you had blustery sunnier days between each depression!