Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion January 2021 onwards

Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm spring days and summer thunderstorms

Totally spiffing day here in East Dene, its been warm enough to sit out in the garden with a brew in the sunshine, after a jolly frosty start. We now have totally clear skies and bright January Sunshine which feels warm on yer face. Take care and Good Health to you all.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything interesting!
36 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

wierdly we seen more snow in March in the last 10 years,so maybe not the time to write of snow chances yet

Still being mocked in the yorkshire thread I see,very strange why they care what we get here or not

Be sure to raise a toast to the offenders when they're celebrating breaching 25 degrees in July

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
24 minutes ago, North Downs Snowboarder said:

Latest satellite image from Aidan at the Met Office

I don't want to walk to capel to see better snow lol. I only got a covering of icing sugar that now wet bet still there in the shade.

Posted
28 minutes ago, North Downs Snowboarder said:

Latest satellite image from Aidan at the Met Office

Says it all. Some fascinating and weird distributions of snow. What on earth is that green patch to the west of London? What caused that? Oxford to Swindon way.  Either they didn’t get any snow or it melted quickly being low laying compared to the Chilterns and Cotswolds.

Edited by Southender
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Front of todays Express has a young girl throwing a snowball in Chislehurst, Kent but looking at the map surely they didn't get any? can anybody confirm this?

EskLHhqWMAE0350.jpg

Posted
2 minutes ago, Southender said:

Says it all. Some fascinating and weird distributions of snow. What on earth is that green patch to the west of London? What caused that? Oxford to Swindon way. 

It's really telling to see how snow didn't settle along the South and East Coasts of England, Northern France or Belgium either. The SSTs in the English Channel and Southern North Sea clearly are a problem at the moment.

• Like 1

Posted
43 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

Front of todays Express has a young girl throwing a snowball in Chislehurst, Kent but looking at the map surely they didn't get any? can anybody confirm this?

EskLHhqWMAE0350.jpg

I can guarantee Froze we did I am just up the road in Welling and we had about an hour and a half snow. Chislehurst is higher that here. That's a rather misleading chart as it shows snow depth mate but if the photo was taken when it was snowing before it melted!!!!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
19 minutes ago, Surrey said:

Thaw today.. But still a pretty good covering going to be very very icy again tonight! 

Pretty impressive although conditions are good for laying snow.. Minimum sun warmth, short days single digit maximums.. 

If it was March most of this would have probably gone yesterday afternoon.. 

IMG_20210125_154556.thumb.jpg.79b3e554d73b4c0b8dec367db68517df.jpg

Yep tomorrow's warm up is going to feel strange, are they sure about it?

23 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Yep tomorrow's warm up is going to feel strange, are they sure about it?

Yep definitely turning milder.. 

I love all types of weather being a weather nerd.. But it feels different to when I was younger and at school/college and care free.. Now I have a sense of worry lol!! 

Im glad we have some milder weather coming it means we can send plant orders again as today they were all frozen solid.. We moved some inside hoping they thaw out to be sent tomorrow! 

Edited by Surrey

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms in summer, cold/snow in winter

Whilst there was no decent snow to speak of in Kent yesterday it was certainly nice to see plenty of sun today! 

Over on the MOD thread the BFTE has showed up again on the GFS 12z. Only two weeks away so what could go wrong?  

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, sun and snow.

I’m no model expert, but the ass end of the latest GFS
image.thumb.png.6cd4164ab9851558a09fd34e2a4f80e8.png

No sleety muck on that bad boy.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow and ice days
4 hours ago, Paul Sherman said:

Probably got about 6 weeks left until what I call the cut off point for the SE around the 15th March before we start to see it very hard for sustained cold and snow to keep itself on the ground much more than a few hours before melting away in strong sunshine and with the next few weeks probably in the bin already a quick sum up of this winter for SE Essex and probably most of Kent and Coastal Sussex, Suffolk and Norfolk.

8 Ground or Air Frost

1 Graupel Shower for 5 minutes

Winter 19/20 and Winter 18/19 had hardly any frosts and no wintry precipitation as well so am quite confident now we will be staring 46 months of no snow cover in the face by the time Dec 2021 comes around and I can see why the Met Office are stating that snowy winters will become a rarity in the future but I would bring their timescales much further forward than 2040 looking at how things are rapidly changing for parts of the Uk. 

So happy some got deep enough snow to enjoy it yesterday and for it to still be on the ground today though as these will become ever rarer in years to come. Maybe time to move to a much more favourable country if its snow you are after in the coming decades.

Models yesterday also as others have stated were hopeless with the Stall Line some 100 miles further North than most stated, remember some as late as Friday had this system in the Channel, most had the stall line around the London area, none had the stall line across Rutland into the Midlands. 

Going to take a break from Model watching for the next few weeks and have enjoyed the banter on here again this year, will pop back in as the Spring and Summer warmth ramps up the convection and once the first Spanish Plume is forecasted am sure all the usual suspects will be on here then watching the Lightning maps in the Bay of Biscay.

Stay safe all and lets hope we all get let out soon

Great summary.

Hope we can persuade to stick around Paul. For what it’s worth I greatly value your input on here.

If it helps to keep you sticking with it for the next few weeks the latest GFS seems to be teasing us with a proper beasterly at the end. Wouldn’t want to miss that would you?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow and ice days
4 minutes ago, Lord Grogon said:

I’m no model expert, but the ass end of the latest GFS
image.thumb.png.6cd4164ab9851558a09fd34e2a4f80e8.png

No sleety muck on that bad boy.

With the -15 line slicing through the heart of the SE if that only delivers rain or sleet it really will be time to throw the towel in.

• Like 2

Posted
9 minutes ago, Polaris said:

Hi guys, 

Can anyone shine a light as to why the BBC have me down for sleet on Sunday. I thought it was turning mild from Wednesday? 

B3355D67-C289-4F79-8169-1C1CD4CD16FA.png

Mild Wednesday, Thursday, Friday. Cold again at the weekend. Current forecast highs are 5 or 6 but will probably end up nearer 2 or 3  as that seems to be the case that they over estimate max temps when it's cold, both BBC and Met Office automated forecasts. Today, for example, was supposed to reach a high of 4 here but only got to 2.

Edited by snowblind

Posted
17 minutes ago, snowblind said:

Mild Wednesday, Thursday, Friday. Cold again at the weekend. Current forecast highs are 5 or 6 but will probably end up nearer 2 or 3  as that seems to be the case that they over estimate max temps when it's cold, both BBC and Met Office automated forecasts. Today, for example, was supposed to reach a high of 4 here but only got to 2.

Yes I noticed BBC TV forecast showing 4-6c across our region for today. 

Didn’t get above 1c here and already now down to -2c 

Posted
2 hours ago, North Downs Snowboarder said:

It's really telling to see how snow didn't settle along the South and East Coasts of England, Northern France or Belgium either. The SSTs in the English Channel and Southern North Sea clearly are a problem at the moment.

Like all seas they are absorbing the heat of the global 1 to 1.5C rise and likely won't get down  to the minima of decades ago. Pattern for the extreme SE is late Feb / early March snow when the channel and in particular N Sea are maybe just low enough in temperature. Although they will slowly get warmer so as Paul Sherman said earlier, colder winters become rarer over time. And summers hotter too if that's your thing!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms
21 hours ago, jasonuk said:

Hmm,  its just another reason for me to have to wake up early on Saturday or Sunday  on my day off. I'm sure il be let down again, but it doesnt stop me waking up as always since i was a kid! Keep the faith mate!

Hello mate. I got fingers and toes crossed. If there is a chance I'll be up to watch it. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

A mild feeling day reaching 7c with barely a breeze, and felt pretty warm-ish when standing out in the sun, more of this please.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather
2 hours ago, Froze were the Days said:

EskLHhqWMAE0350.jpg

Evening all,

Hope I find yourselves and your Families, well.

Hi Tim, I think Chislehurst is right on the Eastern edge of that Map.

My Children live between Elmstead Woods and Chislehurst, around a Mile walk from Chislehurst Common.

Below, is an image from their back Garden:

image.thumb.png.ee8706ae7532f99a19809f29aa75e2e7.png

My Daughter tells me there was twice as much of a covering, at best and just enough to make a Snowball.

Regards,

Tom.  

P.S. Meanwhile here in Lee, just short of 3 Miles to the N.W., this was the scene during the falling Snow, in our Close:

image.thumb.png.2c95595037ec747d50b54c3fb6a00b2c.png

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 6