Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion January 2021 onwards

Blessed Weather

Posted

A real NIMBY post and I'll be enthusiastic again tomorrow, but what a let down in Cambridge. Didn't snow all day when the radar said it was, now the radar says nothing and it's moderately raining. 5 miles west of Cambridge and there's 2-3inches! Not the first time that's happened - it was the same in one of the Feb 2009 falls if I recall...we were sent home from our city school in the rain and by the time the bus reached the villages it was 3 inches thick. I benefited that time - I've tasted my own medicine and it is bitter! 

Edited by ITSY
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, sun and snow.
5 minutes ago, ITSY said:

A real NIMBY post and I'll be enthusiastic again tomorrow, but what a let down in Cambridge. Didn't snow all day when the radar said it was, now the radar says nothing and it's moderately raining. 5 miles west of Cambridge and there's 2-3inches! Not the first time that's happened - it was the same in one of the Feb 2009 falls if I recall...we were sent home from our city school in the rain and by the time the bus reached the villages it was 3 inches thick. I benefited that time - I've tasted my own medicine and it is bitter! 

I suppose it’s a punishment for Cambridge now being the hottest place ever in the UK.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
8 minutes ago, ITSY said:

Up there with the most disappointing winter days I can ever remember! I don’t care if it snows or Scotland or Wales and it’s raining here.....but when all the forecasts said snow, and it snowed heavily 5 miles away I can’t really handle it!

Posted

well, earlier i mentioned that the met office had my area down for 4 hours of light snow from 10pm, thats been updated to light snow from10-11, 11-12 Heavy Snow, midnight to 1am light snow, and now not getting above freezing until midday.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Aaaand, it's now 2 hours' into the Great Netweather App's 9-hour-long snow-fest. And, yooou've guessed it: absolutely bloody nothing! Are apps not the greatest ever 21st Century con!?

Pathetic!

• Like 1

Posted

So the pivot point jackpot zone ended up being Peterborough to Derby. Lot further north than most of us expected.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October
12 minutes ago, Lord Grogon said:

I suppose it’s a punishment for Cambridge now being the hottest place ever in the UK.

Taken our title but same story for Gravesend I feel your pain! Didn't Cambridge have snow yesterday though?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

So, when's the next non event then

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms!! (With the odd gale thrown in)
26 minutes ago, Surrey said:

Front still got quite a lot of oomph init.. Its starting to slowly turn now and sink back south.. I wonder if we can squeeze a few more flakes out of it.. Although temperature here is very quickly heading towards freezing again so could be very tricky tomorrow morning 

There is plenty of energy left in that front, plus the shower activity in SW Wales is maintaining it's intensity as it moves inland. The sea temps are way higher that the DP now, so that should keep some energy flowing in off the Irish Sea and Bristol Channel to keep the conveyor moving along.

It's the movement of the pivot that we need to keep an eye on.

Edited by Sno' problem
  • Like 1

Posted
22 minutes ago, ITSY said:

We're halfway between Cambridge and Peterborough, and it's been snowing for hours, amazing the difference in a few miles! 

• Like 3

Posted
17 minutes ago, Uxbridge90 said:

Be interesting to see how much is left as it pushes back SE, could be a cm or 2 in it for places North of London.

Hope everyone enjoyed the snow and got away from the radar for a few hours!

Yup. Superb day. Epping Forest got smashed and was absolutely beautiful in the snow. 

• Like 2

Posted
16 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

Up there with the most disappointing winter days I can ever remember! I don’t care if it snows or Scotland or Wales and it’s raining here.....but when all the forecasts said snow, and it snowed heavily 5 miles away I can’t really handle it!

IMBY is the worst weather-geek cliche of all time. I mean, all weather is local, especially snow. Nothing wrong with wanting the snow near you. 

Sets my teeth on edge when I read that phrase “IMBYism”, very much hope you get snow in your back yard mate later in the winter. 

7 minutes ago, Sno' problem said:

There is plenty of energy left in that front, plus the shower activity in SW Wales is maintaining it's intensity as it moves inland. The sea temps are way higher that the DP now, so that should keep some energy flowing in off the Irish Sea and Bristol Channel to keep the conveyor moving along.

It's the movement of the pivot that we need to keep an eye on.

It's definitely on the move south.. Strange Amber from the met.. The places init like Nottingham are seeing the PPN die out but the warning runs for another 3 hrs.. 

You can see the northern edge slowly sinking south now.. Fingers crossed 

Edited by Surrey
  • Like 2

Posted

Snowed heavily for a two or three hours yet hardly anything has settled. Usually find that the sheer quantity overcomes wet surfaces.

Posted

The latest radar run shows the band intensifying slightly over the Cambs. West Suffolk area and there is a definite pivoting of the band Southward's ever so slightly. There is also a bit more energy coming in off the Dover Straights and Thames Estuary flowing into the band so, with temps dropping, keep watching the radar folks.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme.....
2 minutes ago, Downpour said:

IMBY is the worst weather-geek cliche of all time. I mean, all weather is local, especially snow. Nothing wrong with wanting the snow near you. 

Sets my teeth on edge when I read that phrase “IMBYism”, very much hope you get snow in your back yard mate later in the winter. 

Sorry I'm old school but what the hell is IMBY ?!

Posted

Very disappointing in Ely - the radar has been telling fibs all day - the odd flurry but nothing really, even now if you looked at the radar we should be getting a pounding but alas not a single flake is falling! Damn I never thought it would be this frustrating lol 

I don’t know what’s happened to the radar but it’s definitely gone a bit wonky... a strange one 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

A few flurries in and off here. Peterborough however has had a burying in comparison. Stuck right under the stalled front! Seeing loads of posts from fellow friends there. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Sno' problem said:

The latest radar run shows the band intensifying slightly over the Cambs. West Suffolk area and there is a definite pivoting of the band Southward's ever so slightly. There is also a bit more energy coming in off the Dover Straights and Thames Estuary flowing into the band so, with temps dropping, keep watching the radar folks.

Liking the PPN building south of the main front.. High res models do drop it south again I wonder if a few that haven't seen anything can get a surprise cm or 2

• Like 4

Posted
Just now, Surrey said:

Liking the PPN building south of the main front.. High res models do drop it south again I wonder if a few that haven't seen anything can get a surprise cm or 2

Undoubtedly there are a few surprises being thrown up. There is a lot more energy at this time  than any of the models suggested, so there may be a surprise for many of those who missed out earlier.

• Like 1