Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion January 2021 onwards

Blessed Weather

Posted

To add salt to the wounds for places that missed today the snow band on some early 12z models expected to slip more North to South away weakening meaning mostly London and C Southern England to get the scraps probably missing Essex Kent and Sussex. Non Winter 20/21 please end now. 

One thing we do get here though is beautiful Storm less summers...... Oh wait

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
29 minutes ago, SHM040519 said:

It snowed non-stop for 12 hours. Was fab. I work in Dover, when I got there, people were amazed when I showed them pictures! That freezing rain was horrible. I was going to Heathrow that day, that was an experience! 

The thing that really got me was, people were driving about on the ice all day, no problem, but as soon as they could see it, in the form of snow, people suddenly couldn't drive. It seems to me the main problem is panic.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: rubbish boring weather
9 minutes ago, Captain Shortwave said:

Proper 10/10 stuff now

IMG_2745.MOV

Lovely mate  Now if only you were in the south east id be more excited
Jealous Jason though!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
4 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

I'll wait with baited breath ...just been out with Scotty dog - utterly miserable. 2.5c

It was brief I'm afraid. At the moment it's sleety rain, mostly rain. 

But at least whilst staring longingly out of the window I did spot this heron (I think). 

heron-1.jpg

heron-2.jpg

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October

Just for balance to represent the  snowless Kent/S Essex/ Sussex crew- my walk in Jeskyns woodlands  today had some miniscule light graupel mixed with drizzle 

20210124_141024.jpg

20210124_140951.jpg

20210124_140954.jpg

20210124_140957.jpg

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: rubbish boring weather
6 minutes ago, lewis clark said:

Its starting to pivot right on top of us heavey rain still though gutted......

WWW.RAINTODAY.CO.UK

why not use the official Netweather Radar? just wondering!

Posted
6 minutes ago, surrey snowboy said:

Pleasantly surprised to measure 9cm here in Dorking. Makes up for last few years.

A few photos from earlier including rather cold sheep. 

DSC_0017.JPG

This pic is awesome - rarely do you see snow that heavy. ❄️ ❄️ ❄️ 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, heat, sunshine and thunderstorms. Anything severe.

Have loved seeing everyone’s snow photos and videos today but unfortunately it has been a bit of a non-event here where I live in south Cambridgeshire. Slightly gutted, especially as the radar had us under heavy snow for quite a few hours, but it never materialised. Currently have a bit of light sleet but it’s all a bit underwhelming.

Anyway, hope everyone who has snow today enjoys it whilst it lasts and for those of us who have missed out there’s still time before this winter is over to see something decent.❄️

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Definitely a total bust here. Been under radar ppn for 4-5 hours and literally nothing has fallen. I know they struggle under snow but mega disappointing. Glad people close by got a decent day out of it. If it wasn’t lockdown I’d have jumped in the car and driven 10 miles Just to enjoy.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms!! (With the odd gale thrown in)

I am really surprised to see that the central London area got more snow than most other places in our region. We had continuous heavy settling snow here for 2 hours, got a couple of inches of settling snow and there is only a slow melt going on at the moment.

The ppn seems to be starting to pivot now, with the centre of the pivot seemingly in the Oxfordshire area, so I reckon there will be more ppn to come after dark for our region. Hopefully there might be a few happier faces on the forum later on.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and severe weather events.
7 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

To add salt to the wounds for places that missed today the snow band on some early 12z models expected to slip more North to South away weakening meaning mostly London and C Southern England to get the scraps probably missing Essex Kent and Sussex. Non Winter 20/21 please end now. 

One thing we do get here though is beautiful Storm less summers...... Oh wait

Have to agree with you on that one Paul,seen lots of scenarios unfold this way over the years down here in West Sussex! Kind of knew it would rain here this morning! And as you mentioned not so many storms here either....! 

• Like 1

Posted

I can’t believe how far north is actually got, currently it’s northern extent is north of Derby!

Massive fail for the models again, nowhere was it forcast to get that far up. Some only just put it north of the M4

Posted
16 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

The thing that really got me was, people were driving about on the ice all day, no problem, but as soon as they could see it, in the form of snow, people suddenly couldn't drive. It seems to me the main problem is panic.

I got beeped today for stopping at a roundabout for three seconds to literally clean my driver side window so I could actually see what was coming! Some people are just idiots. 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Matty J said:

I can’t believe how far north is actually got, currently it’s northern extent is north of Derby!

Massive fail for the models again, nowhere was it forcast to get that far up. Some only just put it north of the M4

All round fail for the models. GFS was the closest. The so-called hi-res models were in chocolate fireguard country.

Absolute cannon fodder. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and severe weather events.
3 minutes ago, Surrey said:

Dorking 9cm.. Close to sweet spot for me.. 

Anyone been up box hill today or lives in the higher parts of Surrey hills? Gotta be a touch more up there! 

9cm in beare Green and Newdigate just down the road. 

• Like 1

Posted

The SE draw is killing the precipitation on the eastern flank, evaporating before it hits the ground drying out. Hence the radar returns but nothing falling. 

Edited by Nimbusman