Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion January 2021 onwards

Blessed Weather

Posted
Just now, Jason M said:

I was never hopeful with this one. These systems either drop into France or if they come north it’s because the system is deeper than expected and a deeper low = warm sector which for Essex and Kent means more cold rain. I’ve lost count of the number of times over the last few years where I’ve watched the rain fall knowing that 20 miles away it’s snowing.

sadly, looking at the charts I suspect this won’t be the last time this happens this winter. 

Tbh I remember living in Maidstone in the 80s and even then if it was from the west we'd get a few rapid inches but then rain and almost immediate thaw. NE shower train off north sea and east Europe fed cold uppers and you'd just watch it build up and up. That can still happen, but N Sea about 1 to 1.5C warmer than it ever has been so we now need really cold air

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Some proper heavy falls now.

@mb018538 I am shocked there isn’t any in your location as apart from the light stuff earlier the radar has been spot on here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love hot sunshine and cold snowy weather

Gonna make no bones about it totally hacked off, went out for a walk and it was the most miserable ever cold crappy rain &howling wind. Arrived home to find WhatsApp messages from family in Beds with snow pics galore. Still I refuse to be bitter amd twisted old witch and say l am happy for all you have snow enjoy it! ❄️ 

• Like 7

Posted
1 minute ago, Jason M said:

I was never hopeful with this one. These systems either drop into France or if they come north it’s because the system is deeper than expected and a deeper low = warm sector which for Essex and Kent means more cold rain. I’ve lost count of the number of times over the last few years where I’ve watched the rain fall knowing that 20 miles away it’s snowing.

sadly, looking at the charts I suspect this won’t be the last time this happens this winter. 

Hope something pops up soon everything is the 10days away charts ect ect just waiting for the next boom charts to arrive in the mod chat.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
2 minutes ago, Hurricane Squad said:

The pivot and some backnuilding is expected. 

Thank you. I will delay hoping for spring in a huff a little longer then! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
3 minutes ago, James1979 said:

Madness, its still hammering down here (4cm so think we won't be cut off!) and I'm just up the road. maybe I'm in the sweet spot for a change, really shocked and sorry so many are getting nothing or rain!! Fingers crossed for you all.

C90E2EA5-2D5C-4EE8-9235-CFEC27C2ECFB.thumb.jpeg.5e0db709fb51a82f379f10b04698f25c.jpeg

To miss out by about 8 miles would be a sickener. Cambourne is covered.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

Pretty good event here (N17) with about 3cm at Walthamstow marshes. We outdid the forecast, which was showing light snow and sleet!

Looks like the snow comes back down between 9pm-1am, albeit lighter and patchier it seems.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Surprises
Just now, bluebell said:

Gonna make no bones about it totally hacked off, went out for a walk and it was the most miserable ever cold crappy rain &howling wind. Arrived home to find WhatsApp messages from family in Beds with snow pics galore. Still I refuse to be bitter amd twisted old witch and say l am happy for all you have snow enjoy it! ❄️ 

snovid.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards,Hot Thundery nights.
3 minutes ago, James1979 said:

Madness, its still hammering down here (4cm so think we won't be cut off!) and I'm just up the road. maybe I'm in the sweet spot for a change, really shocked and sorry so many are getting nothing or rain!! Fingers crossed for you all.

Nice one mate as  you’ve missed out there quite a few times

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything exciting.

Can’t make it up everyone else gets snow we get rain well fed up.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

and to add insult to injury it is now raining...this winter will go down as one of the most frustrating of recent times.

• Like 4

Posted

Epsom downs 10 min drive much better up there than Sutton 

mostly melting as it’s raining on off 

at least we had a few cm this year first since March 2018 

D6B66DAC-09FF-4759-ABC8-66E20B649B9B.jpeg

6B7623B7-9481-418F-94D9-EE119F698128.jpeg

338216F1-32E3-43C2-B5DB-E91B2C1BB5B1.jpeg

85B24D7B-35EE-4D7A-BB1A-2600721D1871.jpeg

0B0D4444-C75C-4E32-A3A9-186131302B6E.jpeg

CEED25FE-A9D8-4473-9B97-19E214BBF0CD.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted

St Neots in Cambs for a change in the sweet spot. 
been hammering it down for a couple of hours, huge flakes, good couple of inches I’d say

• Like 2

Still coming down here in Walthamstow some large flakes as well but non of it settling now. The covering we did have fast disappearing now . As some of the others have said we really need the Beast from the East here to have proper lying snow. Who knows what February may hold but at least can't say this winter will go without seeing a flake.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, gales, all extreme weather really!
7 minutes ago, 80sWeather said:

Nice one mate as  you’ve missed out there quite a few times

Cheers buddy, made my weather year already tbh and my little boy has seen and been out in his first snowfall too so great day. I guess its swings and roundabouts over time but does feel like an eternity! Hope you and others get in on the action!

Edited by James1979
  • Like 1

Posted

You can clearly see the the string SE breeze shearing away at the front on the NE edge of the front hence the rain reports. Still hopeful for seeing something white later for us further north in the region as the front pivots and starts heading SE again ?? Impressive scenes out west  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny; chilly and sunny; thunderstorms; extreme

20210124_124626.jpg

20210124_124034.jpg

20210124_121657.jpg

Lots of fun at Newlands Corner !

Edited by fluid dynamic
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards,Hot Thundery nights.
1 minute ago, James1979 said:

Cheers buddy, made my weather year already tbh and my little boy has seen and been out in his first snowfall too so great day. I guess its swings and roundabouts over time but does feel like an eternity!

Same here my boy’s 11 so was very young the last time he saw massive flakes like this.

Also you having a few cm’s already bodes well for here.

Posted

Great little event here. Currently have 5cm, albeit a thaw had already set in by the time i got home to measure. Harrow on the Hill appeared to have a little more. Roads where pretty bad for a while with lots of cars and buses stuck.  More than I expected really and a great little boost with everything else going on

20210124_125058.jpg

20210124_123914.jpg

20210124_123543.jpg

20210124_122730.jpg

20210124_121147.jpg

• Like 6

Posted

son got very excited as we had a brief few mins of heavier snowfall after a graupel shower, all easing off now though, just a cpl of hours of heavy stuff will be fab though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
12 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

and to add insult to injury it is now raining...this winter will go down as one of the most frustrating of recent times.

The sun's just come out, here . . . another 'snow event' that never was?!

• Like 3