Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion January 2021 onwards

Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

mm so NW says nothing snow wise for me, BBC says Sunday, MET 0 has heavy snow from 1pm today! 

which one do i go for?

oh and alexa still says a 'sunny weekend'

• Like 3

Posted
32 minutes ago, chionomaniac said:

I reckon that shows a mixture of rain, sleet and a wet snow slush fest for all southern coastal counties

I think for the south coast height is going to be absolutely vital. 

If you are right by the coast then I think its going to be a struggle, but if your on the South Downs then your going to stand a chance.

Still at least we now have near certainty that there will be a front coming through, and you need to be in it to win it as they say!

Posted

ICON the first out of the traps for the 06z models and the precip does a perfect pirouette around London

West And South of London get a hammering on this run

South Essex 0cm

Kent 2-5cm

Surrey 5-10cm

Berks 5-12cm

C London 1-3cm

These totals just based on this run though

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, SHM040519 said:

Warning cancelled by Met!

New one coming out changing shape probably

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Paul Sherman said:

If your talking screw zone this winter where places have hardly even seen a flake of snow falling and run the risk of not seeing any this side of February the following areas have been the unfortunate ones

South Essex, Kent, Coastal Suffolk, Parts of London.

Am just hoping those Cheshire Gap showers have at least a few snowflakes in daylight hours that some in the starved areas can see fall to the ground

Hi - You can add west Cambridgeshire to that list. Still not had any snow yet. I can’t even remember the last time we saw a snowflake. Met Office has been terrible for snow forecast here. Last night it just poured down, yet south Cambs saw some flakes. Very frustrating winter here so far. Oh well, we look to February again. No doubt our best chances will end up in late March/April - our snowiest months.

• Like 1

Posted
20 minutes ago, paget said:

I know I shouldn’t take them too literally but it worries me a bit that the bbc & Meto forecast shows snow tomorrow morning for us (hooray) but sleet by midday!  

temp -0.3 

dp -0.1 

(Farnham, Surrey) 

1030 forecast on BBC24 shows a real knife edge setup for down your way tomorrow morning, here in London its more sleety looking with some snow possible for a short while. doesn't look like much settling but even the sight of falling snow would do me now  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love hot sunshine and cold snowy weather

Met office warnings on and off like a... (fill in the rest for yourselves(!! 

Posted

Yeah Meto warnings broadly the same just added a bit in for when the system pulls away as a sleety mess and skies clearing overnight leading to an ice fest 

Posted

New MET warning looks a slight downgrade with wording of over 100m, I'm sure the other warning didn't have that.

Issued: 10:31 (UTC) on Sat 23 Jan 2021

An area of rain, sleet and snow will move into southeast England from the west on Sunday morning, lingering here for much of the day before gradually clearing Sunday night. 1-3 cm of snow is possible in places, mainly above 100 m, with icy stretches forming as this arrives - some persisting during the day or reforming as the precipitation clears during the evening.

Previous wording:
"Mainly 1-3 cm of snow accumulation for most parts, but possibly 5-10 cm over 100 m with a small possibility of 10-15 cm over high ground for example on "

Edited by Brocken Spectre

Posted

Interesting that GFS has the precipitation further north tomorrow - potentially impacting EA more, it’s looking interesting! I’ve generally relied on GFS over the years but all models seem to be very uncertain. It’s also looking good for EA this afternoon for some beefy snow showers which could well give some accumulations. 

I don’t think the meto and beeb warnings should be taken too literally at this stage but for sure some places will see snow, some in the warning area and dare I say potentially some not currently in the warning area! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
6 minutes ago, Jamie M said:

image.thumb.png.d60e4f5ae16c32988337ae8e2f9f9541.png

Monumental caking of ice here

1-3 cm of snow over 100m.....cosmic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, gales, all extreme weather really!
9 minutes ago, icy toes said:

Hi - You can add west Cambridgeshire to that list. Still not had any snow yet. I can’t even remember the last time we saw a snowflake. Met Office has been terrible for snow forecast here. Last night it just poured down, yet south Cambs saw some flakes. Very frustrating winter here so far. Oh well, we look to February again. No doubt our best chances will end up in late March/April - our snowiest months.

Not the greatest of locations for weather here is it, everything interesting seems to just skirt around the edge whilst nearby get the storms/snow. 3 years here and it's so consistent I've been trying to work out if it's a topographical feature somehow but it's so flat here i cant see how. Very odd, in my 30 years of following the weather it's quite an anomaly. And soooooo frustrating. Had sleet last night though- steps forward....

And for the 100th time we are just on the edge of a warning again. Is it Spring yet?

Edited by James1979

Posted

Interesting to look at the met office weather forecast that is on the site. Especially as they feed the 3hr model update into there (and for 6hrs range 1hr updates)

Looks like the area of snow is more restricted than 90% of the models with my location E-W basically being the snow line. Go north of that and its snow, south and its sleet or even rain by the south coast.

I can see why the Met Office have gone for a slightly more conservative wording for the SE on their latest update.

Luckily it is one of the more 'milder' solutions I've seen over the last few hours of model watching, though its a perfectly valid thing to happen.

• Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, Frostbite1980 said:

1-3 cm of snow over 100m.....cosmic

Don’t get too drawn in these warnings will be chopped and changed before tomorrow....nothing is set in stone 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Hot,Very cold.scared of thunder and lightning.

Wonder where this will end up today?

Screenshot_20210123-104237_Netweather Radar.jpg

Posted
1 hour ago, E17boy said:

Morning Peeps

Hope your all well and safe anyone got any idea of how NE London is looking for tomorrow,s snow.

I am trying to hold my excitement

Epping Forest looking good so far. Elevation and lack of UHI effect should improve snow retention. It usually gets 2-3cm more than E17. Head for west facing slope at High Beach. 

But, we shall see...

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Floatylight said:

Wonder where this will end up today?

Screenshot_20210123-104237_Netweather Radar.jpg

Well The charts seem to think it’s headed for my neck of the woods in Cambridgeshire - we shall see! Could be some surprises from This today in my opinion ... esp for snow starved Cambridgeshire! 

• Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, Matty88 said:

Don’t get too drawn in these warnings will be chopped and changed before tomorrow....nothing is set in stone 

Exactly... will probably end up 1-2cm above 150m

• Like 2