Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion January 2021 onwards

Blessed Weather

Posted
31 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

How do I tell my wife I’m in love with Harmonie...

A439D364-E0C4-4D1E-B2FF-4C7E7A15CE93.png

Just use the obliviate charm if she finds out  

I wonder what the spell for snow is? And if to much use of it, could cause hot headedness

Edited by zubzero

Posted

rain and snow mix for almost an hour here now, really trying it’s hardest to turn but not quite managing

temp 1c dp 0.4c

Posted
50 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

Who remembers this one then - Cant remember the year though

uk_d1_lg.gif

I remember both Red warnings during 2010 & 2013

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
1 hour ago, Mark wheeler said:

Been a member on here for years now . Must be about 2005 I think . I was a member on metcheck but then found my way to here and never looked back . Seen some great people come and go . John pike is one name that springs to mind . 

What happened to John Pike ? I remember his detailed forecasts from the fax charts every night !

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love hot sunshine and cold snowy weather
5 minutes ago, simonhall6 said:

What happened to John Pike ? I remember his detailed forecasts from the fax charts every night !

I believe he  set up his own forum, can’t remember the name. It wasnt long after there was some bust up, it was a shame because I think that was when snowangel from MK left and coast from Eastbourne left. I remember it all being quite sociable there was even a face to face meet set up somewhere in MK! 

• Like 6

Posted
23 minutes ago, simonhall6 said:

John Pike is doing very well. I've been subscribed to his site since 2014. A very good website 

Edited by yamkin
  • Like 6

Posted
12 minutes ago, simonhall6 said:

He made his own forum many of ‘originals’ from SE leapt over. Sad really. 

and oh what a brilliant winter 2009/2010 was I was glued to those MetO warnings like a excitable puppy  I much preferred the old format, it’s when I first laid my eyes on this site by chance I didn’t sign up till 2013 I only signed up because during the January in midst of cold spell the regionals were only accessible to members only, and of course I wanted to who was seeing snow, I didn’t really have any attention of becoming a member and now look at me over 10,000 posts. I used to only look at CEEFAX and bbc weather site beforehand I’d get excited if I saw a snow symbol , following such a terrible run it gave some assurance to me winters like that are still possible in a warming world, best winter I’ve experienced by far. 

Edited by Daniel*
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
1 hour ago, Paul Sherman said:

uk_d1_lg.gif

Jan 5th/6th 2010. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards,Hot Thundery nights.
1 hour ago, Paul Sherman said:

uk_d1_lg.gif

Unbelievable winter Dec 09 Jan 10 and Dec 2010 all the snow events missed where I was living in Huntingdon at the time and ended up bone dry. 

Posted
5 minutes ago, danm said:

Jan 5th/6th 2010. 

Only Dan C, could make it seem like your everyday UK weather forecast.

Posted
4 minutes ago, 80sWeather said:

Unbelievable winter Dec 09 Jan 10 and Dec 2010 all the snow events missed where I was living in Huntingdon at the time and ended up bone dry. 

Shows how hit and miss snow can be. I was in Cambourne, where u are now at that time had some of the best snowfalls I've seen in this area.

Posted
9 minutes ago, 80sWeather said:

There’s no way you didn’t get any snow, you only have to look at satellite images like this from early January 2010 the entire country was covered.

A0EB0421-D6FF-4E41-94EB-F3E54BEB0E10.thumb.jpeg.b503ec262a456a86d70e3d43aa761dd2.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, zubzero said:

Shows how hit and miss snow can be. I was in Cambourne, where u are now at that time had some of the best snowfalls I've seen in this area.

Really, was it the Dec 09 event?

Posted
1 minute ago, 80sWeather said:

Really, was it the Dec 09 event?

09 was about 10-15 cm I think. Dec 16-17 2010 was about a foot

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

They just gritted here, confused why so late, the rain that fell earlier has already iced up in places.

• Like 2

Posted

Two hours of a rain/snow mix has finally transitioned into a light snow with heavier precip incoming again, might finish with a dusting if it can start to settle  

• Like 6

Posted
1 hour ago, Chiltern_Blizzard said:

2010? I lived in chesham at the time and it was c. -20 one night. Coldest place in the UK. Lying snow for weeks and over a foot in places. 

Lived in Rickmansworth at the time. One evening I only just managed to get the last Met Line train that made it through at about 8pm from work. Remember the 15 minute walk from the station taking around 40 minutes though about 8 inches of snow and with banging tunes on the headphones to assist my mission.

Lowest reading on my car thermometer in Dec 10 was -19C

Also one night at the sports club there I was running the club for a party and it really set in during the evening. Had to wait until about 3am until people could get there to pick up the bar staff. In the end drove home in about 5-6 inches of pure driven powder snow. Forgot to put my lights as the reflection of the snow was so bright, I could see everything perfect, till I got to my road and the street lights were off and it suddenly got very dark. Very nearly stacked it about 5 times on the way home - the Prius was ok in a straight line, not so good at corners. 

Happy days. 

• Like 1

Posted
14 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

There’s no way you didn’t get any snow, you only have to look at satellite images like this from early January 2010 the entire country was covered.

A0EB0421-D6FF-4E41-94EB-F3E54BEB0E10.thumb.jpeg.b503ec262a456a86d70e3d43aa761dd2.jpeg

I do remember that that area got pretty low levels of snowfall, I think they ended up with maybe 1-2cms at most? Enough to tun the ground white but not much to get that excited by.

I know down here in Essex we were white also but it was very modest indeed compared to vast parts of the country, I personally ended up with maybe 2-3cms I think here, and we were in a better location than some parts of EA where the bands pivot meant they got the dregs of the dying front when it came through, which you can actually see nicely on the map as it was clearing eastwards.

I can't speak for the other events, December 2010 probably was centered too far south for them to get much. Feb 09 was a widespread streamer event so they may well have missed out there as well given wind direction may have set the streamers up to the north and south as they usually do.

So they may well have got 3-5cms from 3 events, whilst Guildford for example probably ended up with 60-80cms from those 3 events. So to be fair can't blame them for feeling short changed!

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 2

Posted
Just now, Daniel* said:

Trust me I remember all of this in detail as it was so frustrating.
Dec 09 we had a dusting that lasted through till Jan 2010 it was literally a covering comparable to a frost. Living near the edge of the fens is one of the worst places for any precipitation. Huntingdon is under the clouds on that satellite picture and had negligible amounts of snow.

Posted
8 minutes ago, kold weather said:

I do remember that that area got the most pitiful snowfall you could imagine, I think they ended up with maybe 1-2cms at most?

I know down here in Essex we were white but it was very modest indeed compared to vast parts of the country, ended up with maybe 2-3cms I think here, and we were in a better location than some parts of EA where the bands pivot meant they got the dregs of the dying front when it came through, which you can actually see nicely on the map as it was clearing eastwards.

I can't speak for the other events, December 2010 probably was centered too far south for them to get much. Feb 09 was a widespread streamer event so they may well have missed out there as well.

So they may well have got 3-5cms from 3 events, whilst Guildford for example probably ended up with 60-80cms from those 3 events. So to be fair can't blame them for feeling short changed!

Spot on mate, I remember watching the heavy snow reports from further South on Dec 17 but it just fizzled out by the time it reached the A14 

However Feb 09 was very good in regards to when fronts kept coming up from the South after the initial Easterly when parts of the SE got buried.

Edited by 80sWeather
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: greenhithe, kent (nr bluewater) 51.45216 n 0.25966 e
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter hot in summer
  • Location: greenhithe, kent (nr bluewater) 51.45216 n 0.25966 e
5 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

They just gritted here, confused why so late, the rain that fell earlier has already iced up in places.

the gritters said that they were going yo do south west and ne from 1800 and do the rest from 2300

they have also put a alert out for snow and ice for tonight

• Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, 80sWeather said:

Trust me I remember all of this in detail as it was so frustrating.
Dec 09 we had a dusting that lasted through till Jan 2010 it was literally a covering comparable to a frost. Living near the edge of the fens is one of the worst places for any precipitation. Huntingdon is under the clouds on that satellite picture and had negligible amounts of snow.

You are right 80s was very hit n miss in this area. I remember talking to an old poster "weatherwise" at the time from Bedford and was crazy at the time, how many times the Bedford Huntington area missed out and Camboune got lucky even Cambridge see no where near as much was very localised in this area