South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion January 2021 onwards

Blessed Weather

Posted

Who remembers this one then - Cant remember the year though

uk_d1_lg.gif

Edited by Paul Sherman
  • Like 5

Posted

just started with a wintry mix here, we’ll see if it can transition into anything a bit more promising

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

Properly snowing for the first time this winter. Massive snowflakes!

• Like 7

Posted
1 minute ago, Paul Sherman said:

uk_d1_lg.gif

Probably Jan 2010.

Was a very impressive event, I'm not sure what gave more snow as a max, that or the FEb 09 event.

Either way the Feb 09-Dec 10 period was a pretty outstanding period for snow, and I'd guess could go toe to toe with any such period of the 80s, though obviously having not lived through that period, maybe others could better validate that idea!

• Like 3

Hi Peeps

Hope you are all well. Just a bit of BREAKING NEWS for Sunday, just heard the BBC weather and they are now talking about potential disruptive snow for the Southeast on Sunday, but will update further tomorrow.

Sounds promising as long as this does not get downgraded most of us have a chance to see the first proper snow of winter. Fingers crossed this one materialises .

stay safe all 

regards

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
2 minutes ago, Zak M said:

Properly snowing for the first time this winter. Massive snowflakes!

Glad for you mate,it's about time the southerners got in on the action

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

uk_d1_lg.gif

January 5th in 2013 was a Tuesday - was that a good weather period?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, gales, all extreme weather really!

Just sleet here in St Neots, an improvement as technically I've seen some snow flakes finally .  Another ex member of the BBC snow watch/weather forums and been on and off under different user names here since about 04, where does the time go eh?  

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, lottiekent said:

January 5th in 2013 was a Tuesday - was that a good weather period?

It was definitely Tuesday 5th January 2010.

I think my current location was literally the sweetspot back then, alas I was in Essex then and we had to make do with about 2-3cms.

That event did have a few similarities in terms of evolution to what is coming up on Sunday, though the air was much colder back then.

EVen just 36hrs before the event 2-5cms was the expectation. Sweetspot ended up with nearly 30cms!!

Goes to show how things can shift about.

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 2

Posted
54 minutes ago, zubzero said:

Not sure what forum. But anyone remember. "Will it snow in Carlisle" themed post's. 

He’s a member on here, who also joined Met Monkey after BBC boards shut. He popped up on the mod thread the other week!  Called MildCarlisle

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, kold weather said:

It was definitely Tuesday 5th January 2010.

I think my current location was literally the sweetspot back then, alas I was in Essex then and we had to make do with about 2-3cms.

That event did have a few similarities in terms of evolution to what is coming up on Sunday, though the air was much colder back then.

That makes more sense! I didn’t go back that far on the calendar..

Fluctuating up and down around 3c here this evening, sharp shower a while back but only rain as expected.

Posted
14 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

uk_d1_lg.gif

Yeah I was in the bloody yellow zone

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
2 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

How do I tell my wife I’m in love with Harmonie...

A439D364-E0C4-4D1E-B2FF-4C7E7A15CE93.png

I'm not, looks like it's not snow here.

Posted
10 minutes ago, E17boy said:

Hi Peeps

Hope you are all well. Just a bit of BREAKING NEWS for Sunday, just heard the BBC weather and they are now talking about potential disruptive snow for the Southeast on Sunday, but will update further tomorrow.

Sounds promising as long as this does not get downgraded most of us have a chance to see the first proper snow of winter. Fingers crossed this one materialises .

stay safe all 

regards

1cm?

• Like 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

uk_d1_lg.gif

I also think this was Jan 2010.  Here in the Surrey Hills it was bonkers.  From recollection the red warning arrived a bit late in that it had eased off a touch by the time it was issued.  When it froze hard a day or 2 later I walked around the streets of Reigate in my mountaineering boots and crampons watching others fall on the ice as my steel points gripped hard.  I left the ice axe at home though as neighbourhood watch might have dobbed me in.  Sadly I've not used the crampons in anger since.  One day, hopefully....

• Like 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

I'm not, looks like it's not snow here.

It’s moving west to east and clears Kent 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, sun and snow.
25 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

uk_d1_lg.gif

Looks a bit Dec2009. The legendary Basingstoke snow event being the centre.

Posted
7 minutes ago, Frosty Winter said:

WRF 18z also looks great for most of the region on Sunday (UK specific charts haven’t been released yet).

46626E7D-9F1A-47C1-910B-7F926EDE3033.thumb.png.94da914643619a9c4be9f34c55a513ad.png0DE7CAE4-205C-423C-A235-96CCD82A5B62.thumb.png.9d24d68391de8acf52ff56d995af8273.png

Massively marginal for many on this model

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, sun and snow.
39 minutes ago, Lord Grogon said:

Looks a bit Dec2009. The legendary Basingstoke snow event being the centre.

Plus pretty much the whole country was bloomin’ cold that month. There’s a really great satellite  photo taken in Jan just after almost the whole country was covered in snow. 

Edited by Lord Grogon

Posted

Hi All,

Could not resist logging in after Paul has started reminiscing.. haha though I was late to become a member here (2009).

My knee which is never wrong tells me it will be snowing with laying snow in West London this weekend 

Hopefully I might even manage a storm chase post Covid but that looks to be a long long way away

Enjoy !!

• Like 4

Posted

This is an extract from a Surrey Council report on severe weather that suggests 5/6 Jan 2010 was when we had that red warning after which it froze hard:

'Appendix B, Summary of Weather Warnings issued by the MET Office for the period of December 2009 to January 2010

10 December 2009

Early advice was given of a change from the existing mild and wet conditions to wintry weather.

17-18 December 2009

Severe Weather Warnings issued to emergency responders two to three days ahead of heavy snow event in east/south-east England — 20 cm of snow forecast in the relevant areas.

21 December 2009

Severe Weather Warnings were issued for heavy snow (up to 10 cm) across central southern England — correct amounts forecast.

23 December 2009

Attention turned from snow to ice in the run up to Christmas. Severe Weather Warnings were issued for widespread ice across south/south-west england — rain fell with temperatures of -3 °C, causing widespread ice as forecast.

25-31 December 2009

Temporary respite across southern UK for Christmas/New Year period correctly predicted whilst warnings were issued for ice and heavy snow further north.

5-6 January 2010

Exceptional snow warning put out for southern areas, with 40 cm predicted in places — confirmed reports of 30-40 cm of level snow from Berkshire and Hampshire.

7-9 January 2010

Emphasis shifted to extreme temperatures on the following days, with temperatures predicted to be lower than -20 °C locally in Scotland and negative double figures locally in the south — the coldest temperatures of the winter were recorded, with -22.3 °C in the Scottish Highlands and parts of Oxfordshire recording a low of -18 °C.

10 January 2010

Initial warnings for snow across England and Wales overplayed, but forecasts and communications were modified as the situation developed — some media criticism but praise received from local planners for providing useful updates.'

Edited by abruzzi spartan
  • Like 2

Posted

Just worth noting that the 18z Euro4 has now also fallen in line with the rest of the models and shows the snow band across much of the south moving W-E.

So very good agreement tonight, still time for it to shift BUT this time we are seeing it upgrade in terms of the location as we move closer, rather than downgrade.

Snow amounts may well also be somewhat dependent on timing of the front, the models have shifted it back towards probably one of the worse times possible so any marginality may make things trickier in that regard.

• Like 2