Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion January 2021 onwards

Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow
10 minutes ago, TSNWK said:

To increase chances then maybe a run up to poll hill garden center for opening at 9:00. The 600ft of elevation could be the difference.. only last week there was covering up there whilst down in Orpington nothing. 

Also chartwell and toys hill.. had a lovely walk there last Saturday.   Decent covering.

Yep the snow line was about 480 ft round here last week.I looked up Knockholt village and didn’t realise the highest point up there was 762ft!!-thats 450ft higher than me in Locksbottom so no wonder they do well when it’s marginal.Would love to live up there but can’t persuade the missus to go!

Posted

Looks like the dog (6mth old lab puppy) will get its first taste of snow tomorrow morning. Round the park or a charge down Crown Hill ?  The agony of choice. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
20 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

That map shows perfectly the Influence of that bloody Sea around us, need the breeze to come from the west really or from the south west where the colder clearer weather is. As Southender says its too cloudy here

The Thames estuary seems to do more bad than anything good! Ruins storms in summer and often melts snow, unless you’ve got -10 uppers or below! Same as the wash up this end, always more of our foe rather than friend! Luckily I’m now living on the jaw of it, where the sea breeze and influence is felt less, and we get the most out of warmth and benefit from the micro low pressure from the Norfolk heat island effect in stagnant heat patterns. 

Good luck though, hope them dew points keep going down or you see a switch in wind direction. We all locally know the best ones! A Northerly here always spells game over. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Cold Cold

It’s getting really cold here! (Farnham, Surrey) 

temp -1.2 

Dp -2.1 

Im not expecting anything though!

Think I maybe recorded my coldest temp here on my weather station now.. I'm not sure I lost the last set of data as we had to re connect it through a new wireless access point as the router we had was messing up... Difficult when the shed garage and house all have Internet lol!!! 

DP - 2.2 temp - 2 

I am quite rural as well there is not much but fields in my little village.. 

Posted

Promising update from Essex Weather Centre along lines of 2-8cm of snow affecting all parts of Essex.  Then turning to rain. On twitter for the full quote 

sorry if this has been said in the pages before. 

• Like 1

Posted
24 minutes ago, chionomaniac said:

No. I live a little further south in Hayward’s Heath now

Give or take then. Makes me feel a little better about all your great stuff in the MOD thread now, now I now you’re not getting any either In the nicest way, of course...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Cloudy, Warm (Not Hot) Winter: Thundersnow

Going back a couple of pages, the bird in the picture looks very much like a buzzard to me.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Oh snow, got to be close second frosty mornings, all white and glistening,
58 minutes ago, NYCSnow said:

Not sure what to expect here in fairly low lying Surbiton which always seems to miss out, but after the dross so far this winter will be happy with a dusting! Alarm set for 6am just in case! 

mines set for 6am also 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Frosty Mornings

Quick weather related question , is it possible to get a half decent home weather station for say, £150

Posted
3 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

I asked on Twitter too big to be a red kite, apparently others agreeing it’s an eagle. @Hurricane Debby

It looks bloody huge. Like a pterodactyl.  Thank god I’m holed up in Essex where a barn owl or rogue pigeon is the nearest threat. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and hot in summer
4 minutes ago, Carol Frost said:

Going back a couple of pages, the bird in the picture looks very much like a buzzard to me.

I agree 

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Met4Cast said:

You need to check the dew points - Surface temperatures will be okay but dew points will rapidly increase above freezing as the front moves through

They also need to check the day / date for the chart as that was for this afternoon (15th) and not tomorrow 

• Like 1

Posted

Seems like temps are below freezing here now in Bromley, already pretty frosty - let’s hope for no rain before the snow ❄️ Still a lot of me expects to wake up to a rainy mess...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Cold Cold
16 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

I asked on Twitter too big to be a red kite, apparently others agreeing it’s an eagle. @Hurricane Debby

Wow, I must say the wings look like an eagles  I’ve seen golden eagles and sea eagles in Scotland! What a sight, they are enormous! These are photos I took of a sea eagle, amazing sight! X

2DA56688-1ADD-4502-A45A-FB56C6E84330.jpeg

2BBECFDC-A51C-489C-BE4E-BB7A2AE6F7FE.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
19 minutes ago, Carol Frost said:

Posted

Croydon gritters will be deployed during the early hours tomorrow image.png.974213ac26614e9442a6eb721fda40f7.png image.png.8309625aa8964d5f4d70d020c7376ad9.pngimage.png.8309625aa8964d5f4d70d020c7376ad9.pngimage.png.8309625aa8964d5f4d70d020c7376ad9.png  

Edited by yamkin
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
52 minutes ago, cookie27 said:

Pretty cold there too

Screenshot_20210115_200151_com.android.chrome.jpg

48 minutes ago, Kentspur said:

Northern France forecast subzero even sunny Spain too still haha

Screenshot_20210115-142808_BBC Weather.jpg

Screenshot_20210115-142726_BBC Weather.jpg

Hmmm. Barely below freezing. For best chances you would want to see closer to -5°C over France before the channel modifies the air.

• Thanks 1