Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion January 2021 onwards

Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
4 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

I think it would feel quite weird, like walking from a normal temp into a cold room, only other way you'd be able to walk between those temps. Except you're outside, and wouldn't expect it. It would definitely be noticeable though.

When I lived in Oklahoma, some of the cold fronts were insane. I remember one going through in the evening that dropped temperatures from the mid-20s to single figures in minutes. Cold fronts are fascinating things, and often bring some of the most exciting weather.

Meanwhile, hammering it down with rain here at the office, 9C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

Temp 3C

DP -2

Surprised at the cold

• Like 2

Posted

Don't worry kids....as a member of old Beeb Forum...Met Monkey etc and follower of Weather 40 years+....the patterns are looking good. Same sort of thing as late Jan and Dec 2009 and Dec 2010....Jan 2013. Proper cold/snow is coming...to South East too....just dont keep looking at each run. Towards end next week onwards...youll see.

Oh and as for cold fronts....remember in September went from 37c to 0c with snow in one day...wow!

• Like 4

Posted
48 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

No sleet here yet, to far South most likely.

Been sleety since it started, definite flakes mixed in with the rain atm. If the dew point was just 1c lower i’d be getting a good covering 

Posted

It’s currently 4°C colder than what MetO have me 9°C > 5°C absolutely tipping it down so now doubt evaporative cooling also helping wonder what this means for later.

• Like 3

Posted
6 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

It’s currently 4°C colder than what MetO have me 9°C > 5°C absolutely tipping it down so now doubt evaporative cooling also helping wonder what this means for later.

Interesting. UKV has pretty much all of London 8-9C at the moment.

Meanwhile, a site near Bletchley dropped 4C in half an hour. Such a sharp boundary.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

A chilly 2.3c here.

• Like 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Interesting. UKV has pretty much all of London 8-9C at the moment.

Meanwhile, a site near Bletchley dropped 4C in half an hour. Such a sharp boundary.

The wind swinged from east just before 1am here the MetO app had that happening at 5am.

4.6°C at the moment... some very heavy rain reached 10mm. 

Edited by Daniel*
  • Like 3

Posted

Temperature at 1.5c

Dewpoint 1c

Some juicy looking flakes falling in the rain/sleet/whatever it is thats currently still falling. Just need a slight drop in temperatures and i could get a sweet little dusting for the morning  

• Like 2

Posted

Really trying to transition into snow now, i’d say if the precip stays heavy enough then it might be able to fully change pretty soon

• Like 2

Posted

Much better overnight runs, and met saying chance of disruption due to snow Saturday. 

BTW what's happened to SM it says he doesn't exist anymore on the forum. WTF has happened, he be enjoying the chance of snow and the increasing chance of severe cold later on this month

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Frosty Mornings

Chucking it down on the drive in this morning , anymore rain I'm selling the car and buying a boat.

• Like 3

Posted

Looks like the medium term model output it now trending towards the battleground being a bit far north for our region to benefit, however these thing can and do trend south nearer the time, so one to keep an eye on. 

Nearer term, looks like the north of the region could do well today and tonight if the occlusion can just dig west a little. Not sure air temps will support settling snow away from elevated areas however.

Not sure what the fuss is about Saturday, can't really see the region getting anything. Perhaps the media forecasts are hedging against upgrades. Cold uppers and surface temps being eroded are notoriously difficult to model, so still a degree of uncertainty. 

• Like 1

Posted
47 minutes ago, Stu_London said:

Looks like the medium term model output it now trending towards the battleground being a bit far north for our region to benefit, however these thing can and do trend south nearer the time, so one to keep an eye on. 

Nearer term, looks like the north of the region could do well today and tonight if the occlusion can just dig west a little. Not sure air temps will support settling snow away from elevated areas however.

Not sure what the fuss is about Saturday, can't really see the region getting anything. Perhaps the media forecasts are hedging against upgrades. Cold uppers and surface temps being eroded are notoriously difficult to model, so still a degree of uncertainty. 

Indeed. A bit of front edge sleet/wet snow perhaps but it'll readily turn to rain. I certainly won't be getting up early for it!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Frosty Mornings

A quick look in the Yorkshire thread and they appear to be getting a good amount of snow , lets hope that moves South fairly quickly.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

5 degrees here in locksbottom.snow symbols from late last night have disappeared and have rain all the way now till 5pm with one hour of sleet.Saturday morning also downgraded but in weather terms still a long way out.Medium term models this morning look better for cold in these parts but as others have said marginality and elevation are the key factors.Need the trough currently modelled to move another 100-150 further south and east into E France and that would help.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Cold Cold

Morning all, it’s a warm one this morning, and tipping it down with rain!  And I forgot to put the bins out so just been out in the dark and got soaked!! 

temp 9.8

dp 9.3 

Farnham, Surrey 

Posted

Absolutely flooded on the back roads to Potters Bar. Never seen it this bad in my 20 year commute to work.

Posted

Morning all

Awful weather here in headcorn this morning heavy rain and flooding. 

Looks like I stick to my sofa and watching England in the cricket this morning 

Stay safe everyone 

Posted
Just now, Spraggyy said:

Morning all

Awful weather here in headcorn this morning heavy rain and flooding. 

Looks like I stick to my sofa and watching England in the cricket this morning 

Stay safe everyone 

Localised flooding in Tunbridge Wells when I ventured out to Tesco at 6am. Car was showing a temp of 10C - some weather stations to the north and east of Kent indicate temps of 4-5C - so quite close to the boundary.

Cricket going stonkingly - SL 81-5

• Like 1

Posted

Temp hasn’t moved overnight here, currently 5.1c DP 4.9c with wind from the east and 21mm of rain since midnight!

I thought the rain might be wrong, but the station a 5 minute walk from me is approaching 18mm so must be right. So for the second time this month, I’m left thinking,  if only it was a little colder! Imagine if I’d woken to 8” of snow ⛄

• Like 1