Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion January 2021 onwards

Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
13 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

Still clear here so my 7pm estimate for Fog gone wrong. 

Temp 0.4c 

Dewpoint 0.1c

Wind from the North at 0.1mph

Strange how temps dont seem to be crashing here this evening.

It's no' easy forecasting fog, Paul? This time last night, Beccles was shrouded in a thickish, wet fog, at +2C; this morning, it was as clear as a bell and 0C; now, however, we have thick freezing fog and it's already down to -2C... Only God knows what tomorrow morning will be like!

Edited by General Cluster
  • Like 2

Posted

Haven't posted for a long time as dont really have any expertise to offer. However, my little boy is a year and a half and hasn't really seen any decent snow.  I keep reading about SSW, but the question is what influence will this realistically have? A cold but dry outlook or alot of PPN

Posted

A quick look at the poor motor outside tells me everything I need to know. It looks like the inside of a freezer.

F3BC884E-FFCD-4B48-9E94-3D817031F5B9.jpeg

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

Hit a max of 2 today in Locksbottom and now down to -1.9 as at 8pm.Clear here with hard frost already.could break our coldest night of winter here which is -2.7!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Cold Cold
1 hour ago, snowblind said:

Wow! Don't know how you've managed it. Only been two days for us and we are basically living in one room. Exciting times for you moving to Scotland.

Our house is very small, an old cottage, we burn the fire 24/7 we are biting old chairs at the moment!! Makes me sound like a dickens character!! It’s amazing how you can get used to it!! I did get my daughter (22 and normally at uni) an oil rad for her bedroom as she could see her breath!!!!

• Like 3

Posted
54 minutes ago, Surrey said:

Thick fog here in the Thames Valley.. Can barley see the end of the garden.. Its so quiet it's strange... Not even a drop of motorway sound.. Currently - 1 so hopefully a proper frost in morning with everything white! 

Indeed, The same here in SW 11. Quite impressive!

Thick fog here in Walthamstow and it's freezing cold. Had lovely sunshine today but was still cold. It's going to be an interesting week of weather watching coming up with a pool of cold air building up in Europe. Where we go in terms of our weather is still unclear after yesterday's BOOMS in the MOD thread people have come back to reality again, not a set of exciting output today unless you are looking into day 10. Still a lot to be resolved we still don't know where we will be heading after next week yet alone in the next 5 days. Watch this space.

hope you all stay safe and warm

regards

• Like 2

Posted

Yep

As E17Boy says everyone brought back down from the Booms of yesterday to a more sensible chatter in Mad today. Like I said yesterday I dont actually expect the real BOOOOOOOOOOOOM charts to start appearing until Friday next week or (15th Jan) for the 10-14 day timeframe meaning the period 25th onwards which I am sticking with looking at the Downwelling and how the charts are behaving at the moment.

Still lots to be positive about for a much better cold spell end of January and whilst the huge LP's form near Newfoundland over the next week or so and spin across the Atlantic its going to stop heights from wedging north. Am still favouring these systems to not gain much traction and fill in situ before spinning up towards Iceland meaning lots of dry weather for us (which we all need tbh) Its what happens around the 18-23rd Jan that interests me when I think the wheel will start to set in motion with a Murr Sausage coming into play and gaining enough height and angle to push all those lovely -12c to -16c uppers towards us from at that time a frigid Scandinavia

I am still VERY Hopeful for us guys but not for a few weeks

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 minute ago, Paul Sherman said:

Yep

As E17Boy says everyone brought back down from the Booms of yesterday to a more sensible chatter in Mad today. Like I said yesterday I dont actually expect the real BOOOOOOOOOOOOM charts to start appearing until Friday next week or (15th Jan) for the 10-14 day timeframe meaning the period 25th onwards which I am sticking with looking at the Downwelling and how the charts are behaving at the moment.

Still lots to be positive about for a much better cold spell end of January and whilst the huge LP's form near Newfoundland over the next week or so and spin across the Atlantic its going to stop heights from wedging north. Am still favouring these systems to not gain much traction and fill in situ before spinning up towards Iceland meaning lots of dry weather for us (which we all need tbh) Its what happens around the 18-23rd Jan that interests me when I think the wheel will start to set in motion with a Murr Sausage coming into play and gaining enough height and angle to push all those lovely -12c to -16c uppers towards us from at that time a frigid Scandinavia

And, Good Golly Miss Molly, the fog's gone again!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Clear and frosty here on the Riviera and down to -0.8c...greeeaaaatttttt!!

Max temp of 2.6c today and some sun.

Edited by Froze were the Days

Posted

Yh just stepped out for a ciggie and crystal clear here no sign of the freezing frogs

Temp -1.8c

Dewp -2.1c

So really starting to drop now hoping for some nice piccies in the morning

• Like 2

Posted

Some impressive temperature differences. +8c in the Scottish Western Isles and -4c at Stansted and a few other areas in EA/SE as the cold begins to filter away.

84F0905D-D76B-4AEF-B83E-FC55394260CC.jpeg

Edited by Southender

Posted

Our for a seafront walk this lunchtime and the sea was like a millpond - reached a high of 4c, now 0.6c.

Can see the “frost hollow” station uphill and inland is at -4c already.

Some pics from our walk earlier below..

244CDAD6-1EC2-4F04-9D9C-88A8837EBF55.jpeg

FFAF2116-D614-4875-B3D7-FE5C3274068C.jpeg

1A937BBD-73A2-48A5-A201-8139D7EA3A2C.jpeg

093831B6-4B53-4F38-9E37-33432D208D5D.jpeg

• Like 6

Posted

Strange evening here in Orpington. Under fin clear sky’s the temperature dropped -2.5 however around 8.00 the area was shrouded in fog and the temperature has climbed up -1.0

why is that? Why would freezing fog increase the air temperature?

• Like 2

Posted

A beautiful clear skies afternoon was followed by freezing fog this evening making for a beautiful park walk and then a dog in a hurry to get home from his evening trot around the block. 

IMG_20210109_200943.jpg

IMG_20210109_162906.jpg

• Like 3

Posted

What a cold night in Croydon. It looks like it’s actually snowing. Freezing fog and frost and any moisture in the air falling as ice. Love it. 

5640B038-621F-4597-8017-AA3CBFF4A575.jpeg

• Like 6

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
1 hour ago, Paul Sherman said:

Yep

Yep. Me too. Looks like an uptick in tropical AAM tendency which will hopefully reinforce the mid latitude and high latitude blocking pattern. Last third of the month is looking very promising for us here. Probably from the NE. I am getting as confident as I was ten years ago. When all models lead to cold at day ten then it is normally the route taken that needs to be decided, rather than the destination. 

Say hello to Lou and the girls from me.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
30 minutes ago, chionomaniac said:

Yep. Me too. Looks like an uptick in tropical AAM tendency which will hopefully reinforce the mid latitude and high latitude blocking pattern. Last third of the month is looking very promising for us here. Probably from the NE. I am getting as confident as I was ten years ago. When all models lead to cold at day ten then it is normally the route taken that needs to be decided, rather than the destination. 

Will do Ed

And once we can when safe to do so we will have a big BBQ for her 50th this year in the Summer and can share our snow depth photos from end of Jan 21 

Best to you and your girls as well mate

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
31 minutes ago, chionomaniac said:

Got to say really enjoyed from December following your posts re the ssw ( and previous years ) the fact the seasonal models went with usual La Niña background signals whilst ignoring what was actually happening in real time . GLOSEA update Monday would be interesting on seasonal trend.

I do have a nagging worry , which kind of ties in with the METO that we might end up with a north south divide . With much colder uppers in the northern part whilst we be stuck in Atlantic air / our nemesis the AH might just turn escasty into despair for us in SE. Hope I’m wrong and hope we get something decent last 2 weeks

• Like 3