South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion January 2021 onwards

Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!
33 minutes ago, lambgregg1977 said:

Look out my window and NOTHING. Bone dry

Screenshot_20210105-093842_Weather&Radar.jpg

That Radar app looks a bit vague. 

Id recommend the Met Office App. The radar is better.

6BBE008B-D3A6-4D75-9B72-EF42901EEB18.thumb.png.3dfe76d652df52d8080a1fee7b73ba92.png

Blues and green for anything meaningful (you can actually see lol) 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Persistent Heavy Snow

Overnight Thursday in to early Friday, Snow is due to cross the SE from the North. The temps will easily support it at around 0c to -2c. 

You'll have to get up early to see it or you'll miss it though. 

Mind you with our luck lately, it will fizzle out before it even gets here. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Persistent Heavy Snow
3 minutes ago, chris55 said:

That Radar app looks a bit vague. 

Id recommend the Met Office App. The radar is better.

6BBE008B-D3A6-4D75-9B72-EF42901EEB18.thumb.png.3dfe76d652df52d8080a1fee7b73ba92.png

Blues and green for anything meaningful (you can actually see lol) 

I'll give that a bash, cheers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
1 hour ago, Met4Cast said:

Some said London/SE England would see snowfall "without a shadow of a doubt". Some said it was 'unavoidable" and that this week would be "the wintriest of the winter".

I think early December was more wintry in this region than this current spell, at least we had some frosts! A few flakes mixed in with rain/isolated wet snow does not = a wintry week in my opinion. 

Yucky.

There are some reports of snow look above your post, do those people were right.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & cold (love it) any extremes.
1 hour ago, Steve Murr said:

Bit of moderate snow here

Ignore pepper pig in the background

That’s where Peppa Pig lives ? Should be ok for snow later as it always looks really hilly on Peppa pig

Posted
6 minutes ago, Crackerjack said:

That’s where Peppa Pig lives ? Should be ok for snow later as it always looks really hilly on Peppa pig

so, not only can i not see any snow here, i can't see peppa pig either  

• Like 2

Posted

Seems to be an endless stream of moderate rain showers again today with a few very wet snowy blobs mixed in during the heavier bursts. I'm just east of Ipswich so probably too close to the sea to get anything better from this weather. Shame really. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

Things are looking up

My Mum tested negative for Covid-19

Plus we still have a chance

6z runs bring back the Easternly for a while.

image.thumb.png.58eaa41cc15234dddf7083f0304bebdd.png

Plus look at that Jet Stream

image.thumb.png.75404e578b8d8d427f0f9ac099ef55a1.png

By Saturday GFS going for another chance.

image.thumb.png.a58b69ee9d381cfde9b5690b47fea332.png

Earlier than that though it's saying areas of Snow mixed in but mostly Sleet for our area but we'd be happy with 1 flake of snow.

image.thumb.png.0ac53efefd45b6b688af395ad6c05917.png

Closer to noew and it's still ramping and looking quite good.

image.thumb.png.68015f7f0e3d7675df820db1fd729b05.png

So all things considered a good run so far.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything interesting!

Well it's still cold but noticeably less windy. Not seen too much in the way of rain, a couple of heavy bursts in Chelmsford over the past couple of days, otherwise just light showers and a persistent irritating drizzle. 

Imagine we'd have only seen a couple of cms if it were snow up here anyway! Perhaps too much N of E, which is often an issue for us here when it is snowing?

Kind of relieved the frenzy has come to an end now, expectations are back to normal, and we can look to the end of Jan for something decent out of winter. 

Posted

Yes the rain is definitely more sleety than yesterday's. Oh the excitement of the winters of today 

Edited by andreas
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, frost and snow

Just had a read through the stratosphere thread, seems some of the hype about the SSW has gone down a notch now. 

The SSW is happening, but whether it actually does anything for us at the surface doesn't seem to sound so promising now.

One day there will be some good news surely.....

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle
1 minute ago, NewEra21 said:

Just had a read through the stratosphere thread, seems some of the hype about the SSW has gone down a notch now. 

The SSW is happening, but whether it actually does anything for us at the surface doesn't seem to sound so promising now.

No there isn't.

Posted

Well we had a patchy frost here in Ely this morning despite the wind !

Still looks to me like Thursday into Friday is our (EA) best chance of seeing any snow from the South bound front but nothing too significant - our best hopes are with this for now. As my earlier thoughts - the streamers and showers have so far led to nothing!

It also looks as though tonight's showers may be more wintry in nature so could produce some sprinklings here and there inland... one to watch. 

Posted

6 minutes ago, NewEra21 said:

Its at this point I close my eyes, put my hands over my ears and shout la la la la

Edited by dallas
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm spring days and summer thunderstorms

At last yes some breaks in this dreary cloudsheet.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Still light snow here in Caterham on the hill on and and off, like it has all morning, not settling though, with current temp of 1.8C and DP of 0.9C.

• Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, NewEra21 said:

The truth is that nobody really knows yet. I think you are seeing some people who marched their troops up the hill now wandering how they might gracefully sneak away under the cover of darkness in the hope that nobody has noticed.  For some people that means posting less on the forum for a few days, whereas with those with Twitter accounts they need to start finding impressive sounding reasons why its all gone pear shaped.

The funny thing is that the weather gods will probably wait until this process is complete and then unleash a full on beast. At that point all the usual suspects will pop up and say they were right all along . That doesn't just apply to this forum either as I think their are a good few people in twitter land who have gone way OTT and are looking to get their excuses in early.

I think the risk of a genuine easterly (and not one sourced from the Med) remains a real possibility, its just not the 'near' certainty that some have claimed which has fueled the completely insane and unjustified levels of ramping in the last few weeks. Making predictions is fine and life would be boring if nobody did and I sure wouldn't criticize anyone for sticking there neck out but its when personal ego gets involved the trouble starts as then they start having a go at others for stating different views. For me, make the prediction and if its wrong live with it as no one will think less of someone for that (especially as there is not one person in the world can be certain about what's 10 days away let alone 2 months away).

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course

Just endless 2c drearyness here. We got a slight sniff of snow and now were are desperately clawing at any slight chance. Let's face it, if we hadn't been wound up by the hysterical outpourings of the MOD thread, this thread would have been far quieter!

However, on a positive note, it is good to be sharing our weather hopes and disappointments, and other life experiences to fill the gaps between outputs, especially now we are all locked down

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Just another wet day here to add to the many...but it's upgraded rain, the cold 2.0 kind, please weather gods bring us some dry and sunny weather in these most miserable of times. I'm giving on any real cold.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and very warm (not hot!)
16 hours ago, Easily sled said:

It’s been a damp squib washout today, however I have just been for a walk and it is markedly colder than this morning, although am sure the wind chill made it feel worse, could be some sleet later at best. Still not seeing any proper snow for ‘us’ in the upcoming period, marginality is not really our friend. Here’s hoping for a better 2nd half of Jan, hope the SSW plays ball.....

Suns out here in TW13 with not even a sign of rain/sleet/cold rain/snow (although radars have showed me under precipitation for the last 3 hours), less than 2 weeks ago the models had been buried in the white stuff by now, the basil brush charts were looking incredible in the mad thread back then.   I'm trying to remain hopeful/positive but it is starting to feel like Déjà Vu for us in the SE.  Can any experienced members shine any bright lights on the next week?  

Posted

All rain here now at 190m asl on the Surrey North Downs, temp and dp rising wrong side of marginal now, what a damp squib!

Last chance for a few flakes Thursday night / Friday morning, though models vary quite a bit. 

overview_20210105_06_073.thumb.jpg.37acb69dad038e86008c1378bf4ddb18.jpg

• Like 1

Posted

6z GFS has some nice cold pools setting up in FI that would be useful if we could get the air sourced from the right direction.

Sadly, no sign of any such synoptics