Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion January 2021 onwards

Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
3 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Again, have you had symptoms both times? I thought you couldn't catch it twice.

I thought that, too! Was a shock lol No symptoms this time, so I’m certainly questioning it. But after having 3 sets of tests over the last month, I refuse to spend any more money lining someone else’s pockets!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
47 minutes ago, snowrye said:

Such a let down, im indoors after doing my ribs in 4 weeks ago, still not ready to go back to work, there is none anyway, sitting on the sofa, looking out the french doors at the squirrels, thinking how fantastic it would be for it to be snowing outside, while im all warm inside, oh well, no doubt it will happen in march for 2 days

Ouch, you're so unlucky, or may be I'm just lucky.

I fell down some stairs a few years back, when my now 14 year old was about 1.5 years old, so I landed on my back, with her on top. Broke my ribs at the back, luckily not my actual spine thank God, but they only hurt me for about three days, and even then only when I was getting out of bed in the morning.

Posted
47 minutes ago, Mark wheeler said:

Harmonie going for snow tomorrow 

73629169-EC62-4104-BA57-F8D461B68ED0.png

The orange stripes equal sleet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

They seem to think that the Easternly by Friday will bring those -10oc 850hpa that we crave for, that GFS is still way off Feb 1991 and some special Years but still -6/-8 uppers 

image.thumb.png.d795d9c662f15c17aff23a43dd99ead3.png

image.png

Edited by Sheldon Cooper

Posted

Hey All, not posted here for such a long time. I tend to stick to live snow reports. Guess that shows how terrible it’s been the past couple of years.

We had a brief flurry on New Years Day but I’m starting to get concerned that it’s getting harder each passing year to get any kind of laying snow. March 18 was the last time and I don’t regard that as significant snow depths. 
Let’s hope I’m wrong and we get another shot down the line. Until Europe gets much colder though we are going to struggle 

Posted

Shame this rain wasn’t snow. We’d have a couple of inches by now. Hoping the rain is starting to tail off a bit now, can see some clearer skies to my ENE. Looks like a rinse and repeat tomorrow as well, maybe with the chance of a few wet flakes as 850’s and DP’s take a little tumble. 

Posted
1 minute ago, Sheldon Cooper said:

They seem to think that the Easternly by Friday will bring those -10oc 850hpa that we crave for, that GFS is still way off Feb 1991 and some special Years but still -8/-10 uppers

image.thumb.png.d795d9c662f15c17aff23a43dd99ead3.png

That doesn't show us with -10. More like -5 or -6.

Posted
1 minute ago, wellington boot said:

That doesn't show us with -10. More like -5 or -6.

I realised that and edited it I sent it off by accident without checking because my finger slipped.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive
5 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

The orange stripes equal sleet.

Oh well , Thanks I see some other stripes in there as well . I still live in hope .

Posted
2 minutes ago, Mark wheeler said:

Every one to the north downs

I hate it when they say that, as they always mean in northwest Kent, Dover is in the north downs too, they start here. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

Miserable day here in Locksbottom.current temperature 3.1 with a maximum of 3.3 about an hour ago.been steady moderate rain since 8.30 this morning.Just got back from taking the dog for a walk and both drowned rats when we got home lol.Good luck for hillier parts of North Downs tonight and early tomorrow morning.I look forward to another 24 hours of rain and if I am really lucky sleet!

Posted

Certainly a more Southernly Flow by Friday.

image.thumb.png.cb651a5d28396c24e932ff2e1e8796b6.pngimage.thumb.png.2e54d7d958b6cf19ca4eba323f15363d.pngimage.thumb.png.f4078af6eacdfcc14c9cc345b8118d01.pngimage.thumb.png.2a43903181a3c11add6deb2ecf82d580.pngimage.thumb.png.04c98c5db06c78207a5ea9baf5bf99b7.pngimage.thumb.png.fce0ffbf3804c60cb7a87727f89e90c1.png

DP never seems in our favour does it.

Early Morning tomorrow and for the rest of the Week heightened chances of 

image.thumb.png.7195214463fde69ea1c4797bbf31d0c2.pngimage.thumb.png.cbbb22cfee62c14bb1fa00272e2d16e2.png

Sleet

Better than nothing.

image.thumb.png.65ff757c841d2c3a13711ca5f976bba7.png

Edited by Sheldon Cooper
  • Like 2

Posted

Well I suppose the marginal live news is how fast the DP is dropping, also bodes well the low DP in North Sea and Continent. Tonight could be interesting for some. 

Posted
13 minutes ago, Sheldon Cooper said:

Certainly a more Southernly Flow by Friday.

Sleet

Better than nothing.

image.thumb.png.65ff757c841d2c3a13711ca5f976bba7.png

Hi Sheldon if you follow where the arrows are pointing you’ll see wind is coming from a cold northeasterly direction not southerly. And DPs are supportive for snow <0C if that verified we’d have a higher chance of seeing snow than next 48 hours.

78659ADE-46DD-4DC5-89BC-7A9AD520CA80.thumb.jpeg.3c861615670c5f1c1fbae0a5f54cc962.jpeg3CC19A6B-8BA8-4338-83F3-1F2C59FCFB0E.thumb.png.50abc87d9bd1de355761e108382da2e0.png

Edited by Daniel*
  • Like 2

Posted
Just now, Daniel* said:

Hi Sheldon if you follow where they arrows are pointing you’ll see wind is coming from a cold northeasterly direction not southerly. And DPs are supportive for snow <0C if that verified we’d have a higher chance of seeing snow than next 48 hours.

78659ADE-46DD-4DC5-89BC-7A9AD520CA80.thumb.jpeg.3c861615670c5f1c1fbae0a5f54cc962.jpeg3CC19A6B-8BA8-4338-83F3-1F2C59FCFB0E.thumb.png.50abc87d9bd1de355761e108382da2e0.png

Thanks, how does a low Dewpoint help that's why I never understood why Snow was on a Low Dewpoint and probably why half of the time I interpret charts wrong. 

Posted
Just now, Sheldon Cooper said:

Thanks, how does a low Dewpoint help that's why I never understood why Snow was on a Low Dewpoint and probably why half of the time I interpret charts wrong. 

All you need to know is for snow you want them 0C or lower in that case you would have no worries in that department you need more than sufficient dew points of course. 2m temp, 850hPa temp ect. The higher dew points are namely the problem we have. 

• Like 3

Posted

You need a dewpoint below freezing for snow. The correlation between dewpoint and air temp is via the relative humidity. 

If humidity is 100% - then air temp and dewpoint are the same. 

I think we tend to have lower dewpoint later in the season when the surrounding sea has cooled a bit, which supports snow falling at air temps above freezing (as lower humidity means the dewpoint is lower).

Lots of other factors with snowfall - but basically if dewpoint is above freezing it is a bust.

• Like 4

Posted
48 minutes ago, cookie27 said:

That's freezing rain not snow

I’d say snow is more likely than freezing rain. With air / ground temps above freezing...how is the rain going to freeze ?

• Like 3

Posted

When I was in South Korea in winter once, the car thermometer was 9C and it started snowing heavily. 

Mainly because the air in winter there is usually sourced from Siberia and is extremely dry. Evaporative cooling soon brought the air temp down close to freezing, but the snow started to fall at a temperature that could rarely happen in this country.

Also when temps fall below freezing - you do not get white frost there like we do here, as there is so little water vapour in the atmosphere

• Like 7