Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion January 2021 onwards

Blessed Weather

Posted

I really don’t want to be that person but I think if anything white falls from the sky tonight, tomorrow or Wednesday it’s going to be way to wet to lay. 

Also Friday I think is already out of the question for most if not all of us. I think let it get mild over the next week or two and hope end of January beginning of February brings something. 

looking at the charts over the last few days I think the end of January could be interesting and potentially a more bitter east wind but long way off that yet and will probably change 1000 times before we get there lol 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
22 minutes ago, onepingonly said:

Typical...the precipitation finally arrives and it warms up 

And I bet we in the Triangle of Doom experience the very opposite: no sooner does the atmospheric profile become more conducive to 'wintriness', all precipitation miraculously disappears?!

Edited by General Cluster
  • Like 4

Posted

Let's hope this SSW goes in our favour and we get bitter easterly winds sourced from Siberia and outer Mongolia and not the flippen Med! 

Edited by SLEETY
  • Like 4

Posted
3 minutes ago, MAF said:

Actually Paul, Tromso not set to go below 0 for next few days, and that's most weather sites i have just looked at.

Mick yh I know Tromso can actually get stretches of +C Temps on stretches even in colder years, if the winds or a Low Pressure system north of scotland swings South Westerlies into the Fjords around the Tromso or Lofoten area then temps at Sea Level even so far north can be a sleety mess, incredible to think that far north but a reality of living on a windward facing coast unprotected from SSTs.

When we go up there we tend to go Inland to places like Abisko or Alta where they seem to have their own Micro Climate and LP Systems run out of steam - It is also higher in elevation and when we were there in 2018 the temps got down to -23c which froze the good wifes eye lashes (mwahahaha)

To give you an idea of how different the temps are, we left abisko on March 8th and the temp was -24c and when we reached Tromso it was -3c on the same day with not a cloud in the sky.

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

Mick yh I know Tromso can actually get stretches of +C Temps on stretches even in colder years, if the winds or a Low Pressure system north of scotland swings South Westerlies into the Fjords around the Tromso or Lofoten area then temps at Sea Level even so far north can be a sleety mess, incredible to think that far north but a reality of living on a windward facing coast unprotected from SSTs.

When we go up there we tend to go Inland to places like Abisko or Alta where they seem to have their own Micro Climate and LP Systems run out of steam - It is also higher in elevation and when we were there in 2018 the temps got down to -23c which froze the good wifes eye lashes (mwahahaha)

To give you an idea of how different the temps are, we left abisko on March 8th and the temp was -24c and when we reached Tromso it was -3c on the same day with not a cloud in the sky.

i imagine there must be quite a lot of lake effect snow round that way too.

Posted

The problem we all have atm is forecst DPs extremely marginal indeed some aread showing +2 both tomorrow and wednesday.

As Met4cast says very disappointing with the syoptics on show

Screenshot_20210104-115352_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20210104-115648_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

Today hasn't been good so what, after all this is what we expect what we don't expect was the fact that early Season we had a Snow Day and now we expect that ever day, with the Air from the North being brought Soth Easternly Daily this will bring Colder Air and for the First Time this Year and this could bring some Snaw of course, detail is key after all we knew in 2018 that it was going to Snaw and so it was a matter of when but that's not the Normal here it's a matter of where I expect it to be Showery and slow moving and I imagine for the first few Days the Coast will get the time when it's Cold Enough but after that ther could still be a few Days left where Central Area get the Cold Air from the Now South-Westernly Air and with a Northernly swinging through looking at the Charts at the Moment who knows.

image.thumb.png.9c2d1d8f5a62b2582c47144e39fa632d.pngimage.thumb.png.c5ec7814fa0af57acd2b78d115727978.pngimage.thumb.png.73ce833cd60f905de5c20873759e8534.pngimage.thumb.png.8e8b23db611aa7ed82a99fa1a9c2c55d.png

After that we are getting a High it seems which can refresh almost the Low and allow it to do something different this time.

image.thumb.png.08675f68a7c445b73c64b8c86d3033dd.png

Towards the end it's of course not very useful except as an outliner and at the moment it seem that this Low weakens in the North And South allowing Two Low's to come crashing through most likely one of them would happen but which is guess work however it does look like we'll have another time and perhaps the High being Weak in the South culd bring that Easternly Low and allow it to crash roght through but this will all change probably.The Southern Low does seem however to be Weaker bur who knows what will happen by that point.

image.thumb.png.5eaf51e53190da1020aed031d13e5a5b.png

• Like 1

Posted
26 minutes ago, MAF said:

Actually Paul, Tromso not set to go below 0 for next few days, and that's most weather sites i have just looked at.

I think you need to read his message again more carefully...

Posted
7 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

Its beautiful mate hoping to go back as soon as the lurgy clears off

IMG_9735.JPG

1551965195170.jpg

1551976199024.jpg

1551976201652.jpg

1552030008665.jpg

1552142956401.jpg

Lovely photos. When you plan Northern lights trips, do you look at activity and weather and book late, or just go for a week and hope for the best?

Posted
2 minutes ago, MAF said:

Sheldon, get back to your English revision   

Finished that ages ago just about to have Lunch(okay i'm suppose to be revising for Computer Science but I have been for the Past Like 25 Weeks)

Posted
5 minutes ago, wellington boot said:

I think you need to read his message again more carefully...

i have, and was merely pointing out the fluctuation of temps the place has. which he already knows having been there  

Posted
9 minutes ago, Sheldon Cooper said:

Today hasn't been good so what, after all this is what we expect what we don't expect was the fact that early Season we had a Snow Day and now we expect that ever day, with the Air from the North being brought Soth Easternly Daily this will bring Colder Air and for the First Time this Year and this could bring some Snaw of course, detail is key after all we knew in 2018 that it was going to Snaw and so it was a matter of when but that's not the Normal here it's a matter of where I expect it to be Showery and slow moving and I imagine for the first few Days the Coast will get the time when it's Cold Enough but after that ther could still be a few Days left where Central Area get the Cold Air from the Now South-Westernly Air and with a Northernly swinging through looking at the Charts at the Moment who knows.

Perhaps you should be concentrating your English revision on punctuation 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, wellington boot said:

Lovely photos. When you plan Northern lights trips, do you look at activity and weather and book late, or just go for a week and hope for the best?

I plan around Moon Phases and Solar Activity mainly, I have a database of over 100 locations dotted around Norway, Finland and Sweden and do it myself hiring a car, you would be surprised how easy it is to do on yourself, the road from Tromso to Abisko is snowploughed probably around 6 times a day and roads are rarely blocked. With Solar activity really low the last 3 or 4 years (Solar Minimum) there is still an arm/filament that explodes on a monthly basis and gives KP2-KP4 activity so its still been good. Obviously we are starting SC25 now so the next 4 or 5 years its gunna be bonanza time. If your ever interested I get groups of no more than 8 together and head up there, my strike rate is 100% so far so being into the weather helps with knowing where clear skies are likely to be for instance

• Like 3

Posted

If only we had a streamer like this back in the beast from the east a few years ago, now we do get a perfect one it's not cold enough

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, jright35 said:

Interesting read......

arctic-circle-temperature-wave-forecast-
WWW.SEVERE-WEATHER.EU

An unusually strong temperature wave is crawling into the Arctic circle, raising temperatures over 20°C above the long term normal

0FADBCB9-8EF6-49F8-A582-EE9B442EF426.jpeg

I knew it shouldn't have brought that Superheated Oven

Posted
2 minutes ago, bumpydogz said:

Perhaps you should be concentrating your English revision on punctuation 

I'm superstitious (and can't spell) unfortunatly that means sacrificing my punctiation.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
2 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Freezing level today 550M

6PM lowers to 300M

9-midnight lowers to ~ 200M

Some wintryness then after 9....

At least the snow has been getting below the cloudbase, these past few hours... But, alas, my 'observation' of sleetiness was a dud: my world-beating 'look at the window-pane test-and-trace app' says otherwise!

Posted
8 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

6PM lowers to 300M

It’s that bad Blue Bell Hill will even be rain ?!  No lamppost watching this week.

Posted
5 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

6PM lowers to 300M

At least for myself 30+ miles inland I'm hoping for that to wiggle itself down to 150m, then some decent showers overnight. If we can get a covering of snow on the ground around the region to cool the surface layer, and we get some late upgrades on uppers, maybe something can still be squeezed out of this week...

What a nuisance that we're scraping the barrel like this given such splendid synoptics at such a perfect time of year!