Jump to content
Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Winter 2020/21 chat, ramps, moans and banter


Recommended Posts

26 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

June and July 2020 both had hot days, but June only had two at the start of June, which was the end of the long warm sunny spell since April, although May 2020 was when the warmer weather really kicked in. The early April to early June sunny spell was the best period for weather, then we had a few weeks of poorer weather until the last week of June, heatwave lasted for a few days. 30-32c was reached, then we had to wait until the last day of July to get the heat back.

It turned very hot from the last day of July, and the first two weeks of August were hot and sunny, with thundery periods and quite a few thunderstorms  on and off. The rest of August was cooler and cloudy.

On the whole 2020 seemed like a better summer compared to 2019, but in the main it was on the poor side.

I agree with this, of course we had the august heatwave too but like you said it was short bursts of nice weather followed by drawn out dull and boring weather. Better than 2019 though which had the hottest day but that was pretty much it from what I remember. I wonder how 2021 is going to play out, I do feel like we’re gonna have some hot days it’s almost a certainty now but whether we have a prolonged spell of heat I’m unsure. The last winter we had that was sort of similar to this (2017/18) resulted in a summer that was amazing. I hope from my perspective we get the same again.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
  • Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lordy, lordy, an agent provocateur

Another day, another 2 degree rain. I lost count of them. It's an absolute joke. 20 years ago this would have been all snow.   What a waste. So frustrating after a frustrating year and on to

Given that euphoria brought on by too much 'sniffing the coffee' has now become an art form, a quick reminder that counselling is still available, Mon-Frid, at the 'nailed on' clinic

Posted Images

Posted
  • Location: Broxbourne, Herts
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow
  • Location: Broxbourne, Herts
    14 hours ago, MATTWOLVES said:

    Yes Damian there was a further warming event that occurred on the 1st of February and this i think is causing some trop uncertainty...this maybe one of the reasons the met are still hinting at colder conditions come March.And yes you are correct regarding March 2013, also a year where a major strat event occurred during January! I myself do not think the Vortex will fully recover after the blows its taken this Winter and not to forget we are getting close to the time it naturally begins to break down anyway..so to sum up the chances of cold remain better than a 50/50 chance for me.

     

    Is it possible that March 2013 - a once in a 50 year cold March which still registers as the coldest month we've had in the last ten years - is going to be the new January 1947?   

    I mean in the sense that when we've had a nondescript winter and temps are getting into the teens during January, up pop the posts about "don't forget January 1947"  (i know I've been guilty of it in the past!). So now when it looks like winter is drifting away from us, we look to any sign of cold in FI and remind everyone of March 2013?

    Of course it's possible, but I remember January and February 2013 having longer periods of what March 2013 eventually bought us, than we have had this year.

    I don't think winter is over in terms of snaps.  But I wouldn't anticipate getting anything more than two or three day cold snaps. I certainly can't imagine March producing something as potent in terms of wintry weather as it did in 2013 when neither January nor February were able to sustain for more than a few days.

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Sedgley 225metres above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heatwaves and electrical storms, and fidgid Arctic type winters
  • Location: Sedgley 225metres above sea level
    58 minutes ago, Timmytour said:

    Is it possible that March 2013 - a once in a 50 year cold March which still registers as the coldest month we've had in the last ten years - is going to be the new January 1947?   

    I mean in the sense that when we've had a nondescript winter and temps are getting into the teens during January, up pop the posts about "don't forget January 1947"  (i know I've been guilty of it in the past!). So now when it looks like winter is drifting away from us, we look to any sign of cold in FI and remind everyone of March 2013?

    Of course it's possible, but I remember January and February 2013 having longer periods of what March 2013 eventually bought us, than we have had this year.

    I don't think winter is over in terms of snaps.  But I wouldn't anticipate getting anything more than two or three day cold snaps. I certainly can't imagine March producing something as potent in terms of wintry weather as it did in 2013 when neither January nor February were able to sustain for more than a few days.

    People keep saying its a once in a 50 year event,or once in a 100 year event!! How do you actually know that's the case until 100 years have passed! OK 47 and 63 have been the best part of a generation now.. but we don't know thats the case with events like 2010 or 2013 yet. Greater extremes around the globe could bring us just about anything at anytime...and neither you nor me knows for sure how the conditions will pan out for the next several weeks...if we did we would stop following the charts and posting on here because at the end of the day...there would simply be know point! Just because we are entering March does not rule out significant cold,neither does it guarantee it...I've never ever used 47 or 63 as any kind of benchmark for our Winters...I've pointed out March 2013 for the simple reason its just as likely to turn out cold as mild. I don't think for one moment it will be equalled or surpassed this year,but it still serves as a timely reminder we can get significant cold in this month...The main reason I've pointing this out is due to the battering the strat as taken since January,and the fact we had a 3rd warming in early Feb...which could increase the cold outbreak risk in early March...just like the early Jan event brought much colder conditions 4 weeks later. It may not pan out that way for obvious reasons,but there's still a chance it does.

    • Like 3
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: chellaston, derby
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
  • Location: chellaston, derby
    27 minutes ago, PolarWarsaw said:

    Absolutely fantastic, I'm over the moon to see the record breaking warmth has become an almost 'cold spell' like downgrade, to nothingness. We do not want 20c to become part of February in our future climate.

    There is a time and place to see 18-20c and that's the middle of May right to the end of August. Although that started in March last summer/most years now and seems to end into October! You fair weather 'mild fans' - really get to enjoy the weather you want for the vast majority of the year - spoilt! All bar a handful of days of the year are 'mild' enough not to be cold.  I just want the 'envelope' shortening for 20c to be possible in our climate/year. Much like I'm sure most people don't want to see Frost on their gardens in August - warmth in February/March/April needs to feel very limited or else you run the risk of losing traditional seasonal feels and certain parts of the year feel like a meteorological chore. 

    For me personally, my enthusiasm from a young age for the weather came from being able to enjoy 4 different seasons. Variety, changing weather and not getting stuck into 'patterns' for more than a few days. Since the last 10+ or so years seem to want our climate to become an extension of summer and autumn - that dampens my interest in following something that's been a hobby for as long as I can remember. Praying for dry, warm, mild weather isn't such a bad thing, but when that happens every day for months and people still spend their time moaning it's not hot enough, or dry enough, or it might rain in 5 days for half an hour. It's just a celebration of 'non weather', nothing to discuss, nothing to be excited or interested in, no analysis - just boredom. It's no surprise that this thread is virtually complete silence from April to October. The above, is, in sporting terms, similar to declaring yourself the worlds biggest lover of football - only to be happy when your team draws 0-0 in every single game for a league season.

    No signs of a cold shot at the moment, or indeed anything particularly mild from the models. I wouldn't be surprised to see some spring like weather in between periods of frost and cold, not especially wet. With how weak the vortex is this year, I can see us staying benign and chilly right out to near May before a quick flip to a very hot and dry Summer.

    PS - I understand the need this year to be able to get out of your house with some warmer weather and everything that's going on with Covid. However, I will say;

    1) Covid restrictions aren't going to change much for months to come yet - regardless of it feeling a little milder. So don't apply positive slant towards warmer weather being a way out of these restrictions. 

    2) If you are going to let a bit of rain/wind/chill stop you going for fresh walks, running or just generally being out doors - then not being able to do that, clearly isn't THAT important enough to you, to spend time moaning about missing it on the internet. Stick a jacket on, or trainers with extra grip, an extra layer on, walk when you can't run. Come on now folks, let's 'get a grip' as a nation. 

    What a strange perspective... record breaking warmth? that was never really a serious proposition. Im not sure where your "almost cold spell" has come from either. The outlook might not be AS mild as some previous runs had suggested, but its still mild as the current output suggests.

    There was a time when this thread was very quiet April-October, but now its full of decent, sober, insightful posts which IMHO is far better than the clammer for snow.

    We have had a cold winter, personally im now enjoying this milder weather its nice to get out without having to dress for freezing cold. Warmth in Spring after a cold winter is great! loved last Spring..

    Funny, when i first joined here some 16-7 years ago, there was a fashionable saying - the large teapot - because deep cold/snow events since the mid 90's until the mid 00s had become rare. Id suggest the last 11 years have seen some quite remarkable cold spells...

     

    • Like 2
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Kent,Ashford
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but despise Winter
  • Location: Kent,Ashford
    53 minutes ago, PolarWarsaw said:

    There is a time and place to see 18-20c and that's the middle of May right to the end of August. 

    That's based where u live though, you live in the midlands whilst some of us live in the southeast, 18-20c in middle of MAY is quite cool tbh, that's more close to the middle of April here in the southeast so I don't agree with that as different areas of the UK experience a different  type of average temperatures.

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Cleeve, North Somerset
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
  • Location: Cleeve, North Somerset

    Grey, wet and mild. Must admit, I can totally understand the preference for this versus bitterly cold sunshine... 😏

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: chellaston, derby
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
  • Location: chellaston, derby
    12 minutes ago, MP-R said:

    Grey, wet and mild. Must admit, I can totally understand the preference for this versus bitterly cold sunshine... 😏

    lol.. try bright, dry, mild..... then youll get the liking for mild at this time of the year!.

     

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Brentwood, Essex
  • Location: Brentwood, Essex

    I feel like globally, this is going to have been a cold to very cold winter for the northern hemisphere. Seen Greece lately? Or how places in the US even as far south as Houston are having lows of -9C, snowstorms? 

    Edited by qwertyK
    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Cleeve, North Somerset
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
  • Location: Cleeve, North Somerset
    23 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

    lol.. try bright, dry, mild..... then youll get the liking for mild at this time of the year!.

     

    Seemingly as rare as a worthy easterly unfortunately.

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

    Such is the end of the cold spell that my local ice cream man has begun making rounds again (stops in October).

    He's done quite well out of lockdowns.

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Near Walsall, West Midlands
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, cool in summer
  • Location: Near Walsall, West Midlands

    Mild and damp out there now, which is very unpleasant IMO.  I'm missing the snow already but it looks like I'll have to wait for December now at the earliest.

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Shoreham-by-sea, West Sussex
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
  • Location: Shoreham-by-sea, West Sussex
    10 minutes ago, Simon M said:

    Mild and damp out there now, which is very unpleasant IMO.  I'm missing the snow already but it looks like I'll have to wait for December now at the earliest.

    At least you actually had some snow in the first place!

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Near Walsall, West Midlands
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, cool in summer
  • Location: Near Walsall, West Midlands
    6 minutes ago, Freeze said:

    At least you actually had some snow in the first place!

    That's very true, but that makes the longing for snow to return even stronger.

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Dudley
  • Location: Dudley
    4 hours ago, MP-R said:

    Grey, wet and mild. Must admit, I can totally understand the preference for this versus bitterly cold sunshine... 😏

    Well it's better than grey wet and cold which is what it has been like for most of the winter. It's just wet but 5 or 6 degrees warmer.

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Ludgershall, Wiltshire
  • Location: Ludgershall, Wiltshire
    1 hour ago, Simon M said:

    That's very true, but that makes the longing for snow to return even stronger.

    Move down south and that won't be so much of a problem! 😉

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Cleeve, North Somerset
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
  • Location: Cleeve, North Somerset
    1 hour ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

    Well it's better than grey wet and cold which is what it has been like for most of the winter. It's just wet but 5 or 6 degrees warmer.

    Perhaps the only minor consolation but there haven’t been many of those days here this winter. Wet has almost always coincided with mild.

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Staines, UK or Prague, Czech Republic
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
  • Location: Staines, UK or Prague, Czech Republic

    The milder air reached Prague yesterday with a maximum temperature of 7°C recorded. So the snow here has all but thawed now, with just a few patches remaining. Amazing how quickly the cold air was shunted away. 

    Edited by stainesbloke
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: just south of Doncaster, Sth Yorks
  • Location: just south of Doncaster, Sth Yorks
    12 hours ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

    Well it's better than grey wet and cold which is what it has been like for most of the winter. It's just wet but 5 or 6 degrees warmer.

    No idea where you are, please put your town in your avatar then we know why you feel so bad?

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Andover, Hampshire
  • Location: Andover, Hampshire

    The weather is absolutely foul right now but I still don’t want a boring easterly back - not until like July anyway.

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Andover, Hampshire
  • Location: Andover, Hampshire
    17 hours ago, PolarWarsaw said:

    Praying for dry, warm, mild weather isn't such a bad thing, but when that happens every day for months and people still spend their time moaning it's not hot enough, or dry enough, or it might rain in 5 days for half an hour. It's just a celebration of 'non weather', nothing to discuss, nothing to be excited or interested in, no analysis - just boredom. It's no surprise that this thread is virtually complete silence from April to October. 

    Lol - you just described exactly how you ‘cold fans’ are all winter long.

    ’wahhh it’s not cold enough, wahhh mArGinAL, wahhh those 850s are too high, wahhh the cold spell is still 240 hours away but I’m going to look for charts 90000 hours away to complain about a potential breakdown of the cold which hasn’t even happened yet’ 

    And let’s be honest, this site has a strange, ingrained bias towards cold weather and always has - so much so you get ‘cold fans’ coming into the summer threads during summer to just snipe and troll. It’s one of the most bizarre things I’ve ever seen. 

    I would be quite happy with 20+ degrees all year long apart from maybe a week around Christmas to make it feel seasonal.

    Some of us simply do not like the cold. It’s time to understand that. 

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: chellaston, derby
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
  • Location: chellaston, derby
    19 hours ago, mushymanrob said:

    What a strange perspective... record breaking warmth? that was never really a serious proposition. Im not sure where your "almost cold spell" has come from either. The outlook might not be AS mild as some previous runs had suggested, but its still mild as the current output suggests.

    There was a time when this thread was very quiet April-October, but now its full of decent, sober, insightful posts which IMHO is far better than the clammer for snow.

    We have had a cold winter, personally im now enjoying this milder weather its nice to get out without having to dress for freezing cold. Warmth in Spring after a cold winter is great! loved last Spring..

    Funny, when i first joined here some 16-7 years ago, there was a fashionable saying - the large teapot - because deep cold/snow events since the mid 90's until the mid 00s had become rare. Id suggest the last 11 years have seen some quite remarkable cold spells...

     

    the saying m0durn w1nta is on swear filter?

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Near Walsall, West Midlands
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, cool in summer
  • Location: Near Walsall, West Midlands
    6 hours ago, Azazel said:

    Lol - you just described exactly how you ‘cold fans’ are all winter long.

    ’wahhh it’s not cold enough, wahhh mArGinAL, wahhh those 850s are too high, wahhh the cold spell is still 240 hours away but I’m going to look for charts 90000 hours away to complain about a potential breakdown of the cold which hasn’t even happened yet’ 

    And let’s be honest, this site has a strange, ingrained bias towards cold weather and always has - so much so you get ‘cold fans’ coming into the summer threads during summer to just snipe and troll. It’s one of the most bizarre things I’ve ever seen. 

    I would be quite happy with 20+ degrees all year long apart from maybe a week around Christmas to make it feel seasonal.

    Some of us simply do not like the cold. It’s time to understand that. 

    And some of us like the cold and hate the heat.

     

    It's time to understand that.

     

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Andover, Hampshire
  • Location: Andover, Hampshire
    21 minutes ago, Simon M said:

    And some of us like the cold and hate the heat.

     

    It's time to understand that.

     

    I do lad - you won't find me sniping at people who enjoy the cold in the winter - but you will find plenty who revel in the misery of others when its cool/rainy in the summer.

     

    Nice try though.

    • Like 2
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: London
  • Location: London
    1 hour ago, Azazel said:

    I do lad - you won't find me sniping at people who enjoy the cold in the winter - but you will find plenty who revel in the misery of others when its cool/rainy in the summer.

     

    Nice try though.

    You will always find me reveling in the misery of when Jona Lewie comes on Azazel's radio and plays this little ditty. No not the festive one! lol

     

    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now
    • Sunshine & showers today, wet & windy Saturday, warmer but blustery Sunday

      Showers developing across northern and eastern areas today, wet and windy for many on Saturday, sunshine & blustery showers on Sunday, but it will be warmer, perhaps reaching 20C in the southeast. Read the full update here

      Netweather forecasts
      Netweather forecasts
      Latest weather updates from Netweather

      Good news for gardeners: Frost-free from this weekend - Plus some more rain

      Some good news for gardeners and farmers alike, it looks like most will see the back of the frosts that have been a feature of many nights since late March from this weekend. While it stays unsettled with further rain or showers. View the full blog here

      Nick F
      Nick F
      Latest weather updates from Netweather

      UK Storm and Severe Convective Forecast

      UK Severe Convective & Storm Forecast - Issued 2021-05-06 08:50:36 Valid: 06/05/2021 0600 - 06/05/2021 THUNDERSTORM WATCH - THURS 06 MAY 2021 Click here for the full forecast

      Nick F
      Nick F
      Latest weather updates from Netweather
    • Recently Browsing   0 members

      No registered users viewing this page.

    ×
    ×
    • Create New...