Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2020/21 chat, ramps, moans and banter

Paul

Posted
11 minutes ago, Don said:

In the past, getting exceptional temps would have had to have followed a prolonged warm dry period. 

Let's not forget that very abnormal heat spike at the end of July 2020, think we got to 37c in Heathrow. After what was a cool month, it was very unexpected.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Frigid said:

Let's not forget that very abnormal heat spike at the end of July 2020, think we got to 37c in Heathrow. After what was a cool month, it was very unexpected.

Exactly and that was the point I was making in my previous post, it's so easy to get exceptionally high temps now in an otherwise cool month.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Don said:

Exactly and that was the point I was making in my previous post, it's so easy to get exceptionally high temps now in an otherwise cool month.

What we need is exceptional heat for 28 days with a couple of cool ones. The 2 cool ones usually Saturday and Sunday !

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

What we need is exceptional heat for 28 days with a couple of cool ones. The 2 cool ones usually Saturday and Sunday !

One day you could be in luck......

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
46 minutes ago, Don said:

Well, we had the hottest temperature on record at 38.7C in Cambridge during July 2019 and the third hottest temperature in August last year.  What really concerns me though, is last summer was pretty mediocre overall and we still easily achieved temps in the upper 30's literally overnight!  In the past, getting exceptional temps would have had to have followed a prolonged warm dry period.  Now we are looking at temps possibly exceeding 20C next week and this does not sit comfortably with me!

True, it’s weird having 20°C in February, especially 2 years on the trot. Though are we really getting to 20°C next week, or is this just more hyping? I’ve not seen anything to suggest more than 15°C

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

15 °C would do me, especially if there was some sunshine and not too much wind. For me, the worst possible weather at this time of year is what we had here (Worcs) yesterday: 5 °C and gloomy, drizzly rain. In terms of our usual conditions here, that's about as seasonal as it gets -- so I don't necessarily share the objection to "unseasonal" weather that some have. Yes, some proper cold and snow is enjoyable, and I've enjoyed the decent snowfalls we've had in this part of the word this time. But if we can't have that, I'd rather have a springlike feel in 15 °C in February than a murky, chilly 5°C any day.

• Like 2

Posted

18C max next week (which is still exceptional), there’s no way we will get 24C like I’ve seen some posts saying. We were about to go into the coldest weather we’ve ever seen a week ago remember (according to some models)

Edited by Summer18

Posted
29 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

True, it’s weird having 20°C in February, especially 2 years on the trot. Though are we really getting to 20°C next week, or is this just more hyping? I’ve not seen anything to suggest more than 15°C

Nothing set in stone yet and it could still downgrade, but it wouldn't surprise me if 20C is breached somewhere next week.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 hour ago, Frigid said:

I will never understand how people can enjoy heatwaves in this country, maybe if you had A.C it would be tolerable but the vast majority don't. UK houses retain heat so in the peak of summer during a 30c day it's unbearable, especially at night. A 20 - 25c summer day is pleasant, how it should be in this country.

Doesn’t bother me personally, I love the warm evenings. I just have a cool shower at bedtime and stick a fan on in the bedroom, all good. Most heatwaves rarely last long enough to be a drama in the UK, especially away from the SE. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
10 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Doesn’t bother me personally, I love the warm evenings. I just have a cool shower at bedtime and stick a fan on in the bedroom, all good. Most heatwaves rarely last long enough to be a drama in the UK, especially away from the SE. 

In the UK maybe, but on N-W the drama gets drawn out before it's even arrived and long after it's finished... 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, MP-R said:

In the UK maybe, but on N-W the drama gets drawn out before it's even arrived and long after it's finished... 

I know!! Makes me laugh, so much hot air on here probably adding to climate change If only incessant whining was an Olympic sport.....(I’d definitely get a medal in crap summers)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms - of the severe kind

talking of extremes, i still remember a mid-december night about 3 years ago. the typical very mild setup, long drawn southerly from Africa. very moist air, it was cloudy day/night with a lot of misty drizzle. One night minimum was 17c. I was beside myself with frustration. Cold air fan on, hard to sleep. bad enough on a summers night, but in mid-December !!

following day, the temp did not move, stayed at 17c

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All seasons veteran of the 1981 winter

Roll on a warm spring now and a decent summer...

I've had enough cold and snowy days to be happy about this year

I'm now looking for mild charts.

• Like 1

Posted
36 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

I know!! Makes me laugh, so much hot air on here probably adding to climate change If only incessant whining was an Olympic sport.....(I’d definitely get a medal in crap summers)

You'd think the CAPE levels would be off the charts with the amount of hot air that comes from this forum during heatwaves lol.

• Like 1

Posted
20 minutes ago, stevofunnelcl said:

talking of extremes, i still remember a mid-december night about 3 years ago. the typical very mild setup, long drawn southerly from Africa. very moist air, it was cloudy day/night with a lot of misty drizzle. One night minimum was 17c. I was beside myself with frustration. Cold air fan on, hard to sleep. bad enough on a summers night, but in mid-December !!

following day, the temp did not move, stayed at 17c

Almost certainly December 2015. Possibly the most bizarre December I've ever experienced - Christmas party drinks in central Bristol, stood outside in the bar's outdoor area in a light jacket at midnight. Bonkers.

• Like 2

Posted

Rain pretty much every day for the rest of time according to my weather app - I thought high pressure was meant to be paying a visit?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
10 hours ago, Frigid said:

I will never understand how people can enjoy heatwaves in this country, maybe if you had A.C it would be tolerable but the vast majority don't. UK houses retain heat so in the peak of summer during a 30c day it's unbearable, especially at night. A 20 - 25c summer day is pleasant, how it should be in this country.

As someone who has built houses, you're right about them being  unsuited to heatwaves etc. Architects are now obsessed with insulation, it's stuffed in everywhere, in the cavities, under the floor slab, in the roof space. Once upon a time we used to build chiminies, not only did they  remove fumes and smoke, they also provided ventilation, What with triple glazing etc people wonder why they get too hot, and can't sleep! The wall cavities not only prevent the ingress of damp, they, also facilitate air circulation

Our previous house was built  in 1910, our current one in 1983, the older one was much more comfortable to sleep in by a country mile. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
19 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Oh just checked the model thread - the warm settled spell is off.

Such a grotty little climate. 

it'll be back, we are in different times now, quarantin', late March to mid June was different to normal, Nov was much drier than average with most rain coming at night, January was different to normal, cold with snow, February been different, cold, dry with all rain this week coming at night

• Like 1

Posted
7 hours ago, MP-R said:

You'd think the CAPE levels would be off the charts with the amount of hot air that comes from this forum during heatwaves lol.

Why are people taking about heatwaves in mid February, anyway?! Am I missing something?

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, 78/79 said:

As someone who has built houses, you're right about them being  unsuited to heatwaves etc. Architects are now obsessed with insulation, it's stuffed in everywhere, in the cavities, under the floor slab, in the roof space. Once upon a time we used to build chiminies, not only did they  remove fumes and smoke, they also provided ventilation, What with triple glazing etc people wonder why they get too hot, and can't sleep! The wall cavities not only prevent the ingress of damp, they, also facilitate air circulation

Our previous house was built  in 1910, our current one in 1983, the older one was much more comfortable to sleep in by a country mile. 

For sure.

We have a new-build with our bedroom being in the "loft space" - it is absolutely unbearable in the summer during a heatwave and absolutely frigid in the winter also - most comfortable sleeping conditions are in spring and autumn lol.

Having said that I still love me some summer heat.

• Like 3

Posted

To be honest, I have enjoyed this winter more than the last two, despite the fact we didn’t get much snow in London, it was still cold or very cold at times.

I can’t wait for the warmer weather and hot temps during the summer. It makes me laugh when I hear people already moaning about the heat, or those those who can’t handle anything above 25c. Yes 30c is sometimes a little humid and uncomfortable in the summer, especially in the urban areas, but I won’t moan about it.

Hot weather never lasts that long.

If you hate summer, you are clearly overweight, or have some underlying illness. If more people looked after their health and keep fit, the hot weather wouldn’t be an issue. 

These are the same individuals who love to laugh at folk like myself that feel cold at 10c. 

• Like 3

Posted
8 hours ago, MP-R said:

The folk up there enjoy year round slate grey skies and 13-15c summers. Not for thanks.

Send them back to 1987

Posted
8 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

lol, no the ones who moan about the heat are far more tiresome. 

‘tropical nights, it’s the hottest year on record, this heat is worrying, we will bake to death by 2030, it’s unbearable’ 

Give it a rest, and let the heat lovers enjoy a decent summer.

• Like 2