Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2020/21 chat, ramps, moans and banter

Paul

Posted
14 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

Week ahead forecast showing something a bit milder by the end of the week

130969658_Screenshot_2021-02-06WeatherfortheWeekAhead-BBCWeather.thumb.png.d1b073f59b708c07385daf8cd4f73246.png

Hmmmm hope so,   but I think this could change again ,  my bet is the cold will linger beyond the weekend ,  or even reload ,   it can be stubborn .   I wonder if the extreme cold in North America with spill into the atlantic and fire up the jet , the jet then bulldozing its way over the UK ,   One to watch ?  nothing suggests that at the moment though 

Posted
14 minutes ago, Gooddaysunshine said:

I’m new on here I made the mistake of venturing into the model thread. I’m now terrified! I know people like events that make history but there seems to be so much glee. I don’t understand it. 

Its because widespead heavy snow is 'rare'  in these so called warming times  ,  and for some people it all brings back memories of childhood playing in the snow ,  I was the same , but I have grown out of that ,   I dont mind fresh transient snow if I dont have to travel in it ,  its fun to watch ,  and then for it to vanish soon after       ,   lingering snow that turns grey and brown and then refreezes is vile , and it looks vile ,  it is what inevitably happens here,  cant for the life of me see the appeal  

• Like 2

Posted
40 minutes ago, Gooddaysunshine said:

I’m new on here I made the mistake of venturing into the model thread. I’m now terrified! I know people like events that make history but there seems to be so much glee. I don’t understand it. 

Arh, even angels fear to tread............it is wise to don a silver crucifix and a garland of garlic before entering

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry and sunny with a gentle breeze ?
21 minutes ago, IanR said:

Its because widespead heavy snow is 'rare'  in these so called warming times  ,  and for some people it all brings back memories of childhood playing in the snow ,  I was the same , but I have grown out of that ,   I dont mind fresh transient snow if I dont have to travel in it ,  its fun to watch ,  and then for it to vanish soon after       ,   lingering snow that turns grey and brown and then refreezes is vile , and it looks vile ,  it is what inevitably happens here,  cant for the life of me see the appeal  

Yes I walk to work and compacted snow that re-freezes is lethal! Can someone point me to the model thread that picks out the mild weather? Or maybe a Heralds of Spring thread!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
2 minutes ago, Gooddaysunshine said:

Yes I walk to work and compacted snow that re-freezes is lethal! Can someone point me to the model thread that picks out the mild weather? Or maybe a Heralds of Spring thread!

Why would anyone want mild now? normally it's wet, dark and grey, different a Feb 2019 but a one off event!

from late March, things change, me and most on here look for warmth, when it can be like summer

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, stainesbloke said:

No Brexit shortages here, this morning ?? ?? 

F726F557-3A46-4013-BEC4-23DCD8D5BE3F.jpeg

Have orange snow today in my city thanks to that Saharan dust.

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Why would anyone want mild now? normally it's wet, dark and grey, different a Feb 2019 but a one off event!

from late March, things change, me and most on here look for warmth, when it can be like summer

Well maybe not mild but not pipe busting weather! I look forward to the spring and summer weather chats.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heatwaves, hot weather, dry, mild, gale force winds
56 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Because I have a 100+ mile commute to work and I detest having to travel in icy/snowy conditions. It's incredibly dangerous. And no, I can't work from home because of my job type. 

Less than a month until it's officially spring. Thank goodness for that. Had enough of this. Would rather wet and mild the icy any day of the week. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and Sunny. I hate being cold.
2 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

I’d like it mild now because I don’t like cold weather. I cannot understand the obsessive behaviour in the model thread and the delight people take in record low temperatures that would cause severe discomfort at best and loss of life at worst, especially in the midst of a pandemic. 

• Like 7

Posted
1 hour ago, NPA said:

Because I have a 100+ mile commute to work and I detest having to travel in icy/snowy conditions. It's incredibly dangerous. And no, I can't work from home because of my job type. 

Less than a month until it's officially spring. Thank goodness for that. Had enough of this. Would rather wet and mild the icy any day of the week. 

Get some winter tyres

• Like 2

Posted
3 hours ago, Gooddaysunshine said:

How come? Is it cos you don’t like snow events? 

Posted
1 hour ago, NPA said:

You do know, this weather could last into March it’s looking extremely likely 

Posted
Just now, CentralSouthernSnow said:

I’m not keen on snow and really cold weather because of the disruption it causes. Some of the scenarios that were causing so much excitement on the model thread were a case of be careful what you wish for!

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, CentralSouthernSnow said:

please spare a thought for us poor g"ts that have to work outside, and parts of the body are frozen that you wouldent know could freeze,

snow is a right pain as it hinders work and getting to work more than anything else

• Like 3

Posted
5 minutes ago, Gooddaysunshine said:

I’m not keen on snow and really cold weather because of the disruption it causes. Some of the scenarios that were causing so much excitement on the model thread were a case of be careful what you wish for!

I would love it! But I guess it depends on what job you do. Currently I’m off work and I think a lot of us are at home so we wouldn’t mind it. The colder and snowier down south the better southwest hasn’t seen a snow flake yet 

Posted
12 minutes ago, Gooddaysunshine said:

yeah but just think how lucky you are! they are rare, agree from Spring though, bring on the warmth

Posted
7 minutes ago, CentralSouthernSnow said:

I would love it! But I guess it depends on what job you do. Currently I’m off work and I think a lot of us are at home so we wouldn’t mind it. The colder and snowier down south the better southwest hasn’t seen a snow flake yet 

Aye, furlough/lockdown quarantine sucks! no end in sight really, April at earliest

Posted
17 minutes ago, CentralSouthernSnow said:

You do know, this weather could last into March it’s looking extremely likely 

We shall see - things are so tempestuous, I'd be quite surprised if Atlantic doesn't fire up its magic and overpower this cold period... 

• Like 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, M1JWR said:

please spare a thought for us poor g"ts that have to work outside, and parts of the body are frozen that you wouldent know could freeze,

snow is a right pain as it hinders work and getting to work more than anything else

Hear hear!

Posted
21 minutes ago, Alexis said:

Get some winter tyres

They won't help on black ice will they now rather the weather to clear up and ensure infrastructure throughout country is kept clear of this snow and ice. Also they won't help against traffic and other individuals who are unable to drive appropriately in those conditions. 

Posted
31 minutes ago, Racer said:

I’d like it mild now because I don’t like cold weather. I cannot understand the obsessive behaviour in the model thread and the delight people take in record low temperatures that would cause severe discomfort at best and loss of life at worst, especially in the midst of a pandemic. 

And again, hear hear... 

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, NPA said:

We shall see - things are so tempestuous, I'd be quite surprised if Atlantic doesn't fire up its magic and overpower this cold period... 

it can’t until it moves into MJO 1 which won’t be till March. MJO 7+8 is scandi and Greenland blocking plus lag effect, more vortex disruption too! Spring I predict will likely be late-mid March onwards. 

Edited by CentralSouthernSnow

Posted
1 minute ago, CentralSouthernSnow said:

it can’t until it moves into MJO 1 which won’t be till March. MJO 7+8 is scandi and Greenland blocking plus lag effect, more vortex disruption too! Spring I predict will likely be late-mid March onwards. 

The best I can hope for is Sub-Zero temperatures with zero ice or snow in that case. But I won't be the only one who cannot wait for spring and summer in these groups without a doubt. Quite enjoyed the past few milder days. Things still likely to change and I can only hope the milder weather returns with full pomp!

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, NPA said:

The best I can hope for is Sub-Zero temperatures with zero ice or snow in that case. But I won't be the only one who cannot wait for spring and summer in these groups without a doubt. Quite enjoyed the past few milder days. Things still likely to change and I can only hope the milder weather returns with full pomp!

where are you anyway? if you are in the SE, go to regional and enjoy the snaw, agree though Spring can't come soon enough, bloody boring Quarantine