Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2020/21 chat, ramps, moans and banter

Paul

Posted

I love watching people from the midlands complain about non event dry easterlies when 

1) It hasn't happened yet

2) It's an easterly,  obviously the further inland you go, negates your chances of showers

3) You're literally in the prime locations for frontal snow when the Atlantic comes back. 

4) It's really irritating. 

Edited by Eastbourneguy
  • Like 1

Posted
Just now, Battleground Snow said:

Gem starting to show powerful streamers setting up on Sunday and Monday now.

This is a good sign on a global model that far out.

Please could I see chart?

Posted
4 minutes ago, chionomaniac said:

Anyone want to bet that this east Europe block is more west and north come nearer the time?6AFFA9C8-6A04-4E15-B664-89B514C63A15.thumb.jpeg.5e7e4cc5b6f64455d39cc82e51707717.jpeg

I would hope so but knowing our luck probably not!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter, warm and sunny in summer
2 minutes ago, Hurricane Alley said:

Seems to be downgrading now. Think the peak was the models a few days back. Amazing how it has changed. We can hope for upgrades but once the models start downgrading then usually that’s the way it goes. Unfortunately not the first time it’s happened.

Not sure I agree. What's about to happen from late Saturday through to Wednesday hasn't changed a great deal from 2 days ago, and as has been repeated ad nauseum on here, once the cold is in place it's a bugger to shift, so all the models will more than likely be overly progressive.

Let's just enjoy the next few days, and we'll see what's to come by early next week.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!
17 minutes ago, tommyboy said:

So here's a question JH.....living in the South East (Kent), at what point can I expect to rely on a forecast? Basically can it ever be certain , or is it just a case of only believing what I see out of the window!!

You can’t rely on any forecast but Kent is looking great at the moment

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter
2 minutes ago, SnowLover87 said:

Turning into a damp raw event before Atlantic hits back.  Easterlies hardly materialise in UK.

All depends where you live. The latest runs suggest a decent spell for Eastern areas. 

Although to be taken purely as a guide at this stage the GFS for example has streamers and showers piling in from the North Sea from tomorrow afternoon/evening.  I think a lot of people will be happy. 

Things could change but as people have said,  let's allow the "cold" spell to start first. 

• Like 1

Posted

This forum always goes a bit mad when we get an event that heavily affects some of the country and does nothing elsewhere.

All models now agree the East and the South east are on for some decent snow Sunday onwards. 

METO are confident now and warnings are being boosted. 

If you’re out of the firing line perhaps a few days away from the models will be a good idea!

• Like 7

Posted
56 minutes ago, throwoff said:

This forum always goes a bit mad when we get an event that heavily affects some of the country and does nothing elsewhere.

All models now agree the East and the South east are on for some decent snow Sunday onwards. 

METO are confident now and warnings are being boosted. 

If you’re out of the firing line perhaps a few days away from the models will be a good idea!

Can you really blame people being disheartened? The over hyping from people and even “pros” is appalling. I thought 10D fantasy land was bad but even events a few days out people over hype it and everyone gets sucked in. We need to be a bit more realistic. 

• Like 4

Posted
17 minutes ago, CentralSouthernSnow said:

Can you really blame people being disheartened? The over hyping from people and even “pros” is appalling. I thought 10D fantasy land was bad but even events a few days out people over hype it and everyone gets sucked in. We need to be a bit more realistic. 

I can’t blame people for being downhearted but at the same time people like me in Kent are buzzing right now!

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, throwoff said:

I can’t blame people for being downhearted but at the same time people like me in Kent are buzzing right now!

Yeah To be honest I get you’re buzzing but if south west was in firing line and south east wasn’t you’d feel annoyed. It’s only normal 

• Like 1

Posted
31 minutes ago, CentralSouthernSnow said:

It’s only normal 

Check out the Scottish regionals. Banter aside the whole community are happy for those that see snow, including some that see little if any. They joke about it, not whine about it. I've had three days of constant rain further north they have blizzards. Good on them.

Posted
1 hour ago, CentralSouthernSnow said:

Exactly. Boring dry and cold over here, it seems. Maybe the pleasant warmth from S Europe will find its way here by next weekend.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

1987 was an epic spell as can be seen from this....but my memory of it here in Herts is one of being disappointed at getting only two inches at best while those to the east and to the south got an absolute dumping!

Got a feeling, though I don't foresee anything as epic as this was for next week, that many are going to experience that same sense of disappointment.... 

Posted
25 minutes ago, Timmytour said:

1987 was an epic spell as can be seen from this....but my memory of it here in Herts is one of being disappointed at getting only two inches at best while those to the east and to the south got an absolute dumping!

Got a feeling, though I don't foresee anything as epic as this was for next week, that many are going to experience that same sense of disappointment.... 

12th January 1987 saw the -20c 850hpa line very close to Kent coastline.

We had 20 inches of powder snow in Westerham Kent

So, absolutely no comparison next week!

I'm rather disappointed having just watched SE News Weather.

It looks a bit marginal with rain/snow mix mentioned in the forecast for Sunday night!

Also, only 1-3 cm expected for my area NW Kent (not in amber warning area)

I think we are too close to the less cold uppers until later on Monday morning. ☹️

Edited by snowblizzard

Posted
1 minute ago, Vadoseflame said:

If overnight runs are the same or upgrade on snow potential I expect to be in the amber warning as only 5 miles out side of it and maybe a red warning issued somewhere.. 

the warning will be updated tomorrow❄️

Where in Essex are you?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...
2 hours ago, Bristle boy said:

Exactly. Boring dry and cold over here, it seems. Maybe the pleasant warmth from S Europe will find its way here by next weekend.

Yay!  Bring it on!  Winter’s over in three weeks and two days anyway......  plus, we always get more snow in March than any other month!  

• Like 1

Posted

Can I get the holy grail for NW london, snow cover that completely covers the grass.  Not seen it in years.

Cant complain, last weeks snow was better than the 5 preceding years, even if it only lasted 12 hours before becoming a slush puppy