Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2020/21 chat, ramps, moans and banter

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
9 hours ago, YellowSnow said:

It doesn’t look like January is going to produce the goods now, well nothing severe anyway. That leaves February where the sun’s getting stronger and the days longer, and to be honest when it gets to March I’d rather have something a bit more springlike. It’s been a winter that’s promised a lot but delivered little here....

Remember the old proverb; "as the days get longer - the cold gets stronger " I don't think that applies in the 21st century though 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
1 minute ago, Azazel said:

I can’t remember what the sun looks like. I swear it’s been overcast and dreary here for weeks now.

Pure filth.

I hear you. It’s actually sunny today, and I fully intend to make the most of it!

I don’t usually mind winter too much, but I’ve really had enough now. 6 weeks today and it’ll be a distant memory for another 9 months. Chilly, sopping wet and disappointing. Probably the worst kind of winter you can get in the UK.

• Like 3

Posted
33 minutes ago, D.V.R said:

Remember the old proverb; "as the days get longer - the cold gets stronger " I don't think that applies in the 21st century though 

I’m glad someone mentioned that. It’s one of the silliest sayings about! I think hundreds of years of CET data would disprove that in an instant!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Its been a far better winter than most of the 2010's. A bit of a dump of the white stuff, nice chill to the morning air at times, nothing to cold, not bad at all. Its nearly a season. Fingers crossed Spring stays unsprung till at least late March for a change!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
4 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

I’m glad someone mentioned that. It’s one of the silliest sayings about! I think hundreds of years of CET data would disprove that in an instant!

But average temps do continue to fall, for something like six weeks, following the solstice...

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes
8 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

The saying is correct surely, as the days get longer from around Xmas in December, and January and February are on average colder months than December. 

Edited by John88B
  • Like 4

Posted
10 minutes ago, John88B said:

The saying is correct surely, as the days get longer from around Xmas in December, and January and February are on average colder months than December. 

Ok - partially true for a few weeks then

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything below 0c or above 20c. Also love a good thunderstorm!

I know we're encouraged to talk about Climate Change in the relevant threads, but it really has shown it's face this winter. The amount of 2C rainy days, lack of sun and even frost has been somewhat depressing given the lack of Atlantic influence. You know even just 20 years ago these synoptics would have delivered the goods (apart from yesterday, that would have always turned to rain eventually!)

On the flipside, the other 3 seasons will continue to get better especially for the South East. We'll just have to accept that for our comfortable and convenient lifestyles, we will have to endure about 12 weeks of dark and wet tripe before enjoying the remaining 40 weeks again! 

Not too long now before spring!

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frost, thunderstorms and sunny summer days.
1 hour ago, D.V.R said:

Broadly speaking that proverb is true as there’s always a lag in the seasons in response to the sun. In truth though to us humans, February can feel more springlike. If you get a sunny day in Feb you can feel the heat from the sun on your skin, that coupled with much longer day length, it makes the month just a little more bearable. As you were though, we’ll have to wait and see what a 21st century globally warmed February is like.

• Like 3

Posted
9 hours ago, Josh Rubio said:

Next week greets Wales and the North West with three days of weather warnings. A yellow weather warning is in force from Monday to Wednesday for rain. 

3 days of solid rain here, the fields are already water logged. Going to be a lot of flooding 

• Like 2

Posted

I think winter 2020/21 has been an improvement on the last two, in terms of more colder days. The only disappointing factor has been the lack of snow for London, and quite a few dull overcast days. But there’s been a decent mix of cold dry sunny and cold dry cloudy days. The damp and windy weather hasn’t featured too much.

On another note, I’m so gutted we couldn’t go to Latvia for our usual family meet up during the late December/early January period. Last year we didn’t get any snow when we were there, which was a first, but this year it’s like

image.jpeg

Edited by Sunny76
Added too many pictures
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

I think winter 2020/21 has been an improvement on the last two, in terms of more colder days. The only disappointing factor has been the lack of snow for London, and quite a few dull overcast days.

That's a huge understatement. It's been about as bad as it can possibly get here in terms of sunshine. Cold days are usually sunny, but not this year!

• Like 1

Posted
17 minutes ago, prolongedSnowLover said:

Looks like Daffodil weather soon with +10s becoming more and more likely as the SSW fizzles out like an inflated balloon.

8C1BE511-E94A-487D-A247-5949B2B7DEFF.png

Yes indeed, just watched the BBC forecast for the week ahead. Mild in the South East and not too much rain. Then when the cold weather spreads to all parts we are still at +7C. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

I evidently live in a different country to most people on here - were bracing for a winter storm next week. Central belt to get pasted with snow off a Firth of Forth streamer then?

Would be sea level Glasgow’s third decent lying snow event in as many weeks.

Posted
47 minutes ago, Glaswegianblizzard said:

I evidently live in a different country to most people on here - were bracing for a winter storm next week. Central belt to get pasted with snow off a Firth of Forth streamer then?

Would be sea level Glasgow’s third decent lying snow event in as many weeks.

Indeed you are living in a different country. Nitto snow in my corner of England for 3 years. I understand that Scotland is always more likely to get snow than Southern England, hope you enjoy it. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

All this talk/tweets about the 'nuts' SSW ongoing warmings/displacements/possible splits and what do we have to show for it in our neck of the woods over the last week or so since the strat to trop process around 5th January?...answer very little certainly if you live in the south or east, and now the emphasise for some reason or another has shifted to February as it does most years (that makes a change)...and no doubt more hype. Sometimes I feel I'm reading the Express on here. 

Edited by Froze were the Days
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
10 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

All this talk/tweets about the 'nuts' SSW ongoing warmings/displacements/possible splits and what do we have to show for it in our neck of the woods over the last week or so since the strat to trop process around 5th January?...answer very little certainly if you live in the south or east, and now the emphasise for some reason or another has shifted to February as it does most years (that makes a change)...and no doubt more hype. Sometimes I feel I'm reading the Express on here. 

I've read tweets from the usual suspects for the past three years about blah blah looking good for cold in Europe and the UK and in London we have had five minutes of snow in all the time lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold
26 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

I’ve given up with this winter already. The NH profile just doesn’t look conducive to cold weather for southern Britain with the lows too far north and too much of the Iberian highs. Positive NAO or west based negative NAO has been the story of the winter.

• Like 2

Posted
8 hours ago, prolongedSnowLover said:

Days are getting longer and soon enough daffodils will be out.

RIP winter 2020/21

Yes, there are some daffodils out near me too, even during a colder than average January!

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Froze were the Days said:

I’m afraid because most of what you’re reading on here is hope casting or even dream casting without any real scientific backup. We can all hope for certain things in life but it doesn’t mean we’re going to get them. Personally I’d love a nice prolonged warm dry spell, but I doubt I’ll get one of those either. 

• Like 2

Posted
57 minutes ago, Eastbourneguy said:

Okay GFS, interest peaked once more. Off to the garden path I go.

There’s only one way this is going to go. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, gales, all extreme weather really!
6 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

I think winter 2020/21 has been an improvement on the last two, in terms of more colder days. The only disappointing factor has been the lack of snow for London, and quite a few dull overcast days. But there’s been a decent mix of cold dry sunny and cold dry cloudy days. The damp and windy weather hasn’t featured too much.

On another note, I’m so gutted we couldn’t go to Latvia for our usual family meet up during the late December/early January period. Last year we didn’t get any snow when we were there, which was a first, but this year it’s like

image.jpeg

Went there for my stag do right in the middle of the Beast from East days, needed more than a beer jacket out and about, never experience such intense cold before or since! Amazing.