Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2020/21 chat, ramps, moans and banter

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frost, thunderstorms and sunny summer days.
19 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

The winter of rain 2.0 the cold variety...in the weeks ahead looks like going back to the traditional stuff. My God this month has been depressing!

Made all the worse by being locked down and indoors. How much worse can it get

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, davehsug said:

So true, and whilst I'm ranting, I'd like to ban every post that begins, I think or I believe, without offering any explanation as to why. What they really mean is I want. 

That feels better.

I feel your pain and so glad you got it off your chest

• Like 3

Posted
20 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

The winter of rain 2.0 the cold variety...in the weeks ahead looks like going back to the traditional stuff. My God this month has been depressing!

Yes in this far south eastern corner winter has surely once again flattered to deceive despite promising medium term model output throughout December and early January . Even the promised snow failed to materialise here this morning although I understand a couple of spots in east Kent got a dusting. Looking forward it just looks very wet with a southern tracking jet not far enough south to provide any real wintry stuff in southers areas but far enough south for endless more depressing cold rain.  

• Like 1

Posted

I dislike November and December weatherwise with a passion, lack of daylight, wind and rain..January, maybe something exceptional in the cold variety, but this year, im just saying to myself...just 2 week, just 2 weeks, get into Feb and you can get the best of both worlds, cold, snow and even some warmth, but above all, on a sunny day, the gloom lifts, literally. And when thensun does come out, it actually dries things out!

Edited by KTtom
  • Like 2

Posted
9 hours ago, DCee said:

In ten to twenty years the relentless flooding of the UK (more so the South) will be driving people out of the UK. How much so remains unclear, depends how UK acts beforehand.

Me and the missus would like nothing more than to relocate to the Lake District. Have to say the prospect of sweeping out raw sewage every winter (and some summers) is putting us off a bit. 

It’s got to be said that it at least ‘feels’ like a proper winter this year, despite the lack of decent white stuff. It’s been fairly....cold. 

Posted

Well i for one am looking forward to the mild weather next week, beats this cold rain we have had just lately, lets hope the milder/warmer weather can give us hope that an early spring is just around the corner.

• Like 4

Back to wrist-slitting in the model thread this evening... writing off the rest of the month based on the GEFS of all things etc etc. Could go either way, still could despite momentum going in the wrong direction. The fact that people STILL trust the models beyond 5 days, especially when there's a SSW to factor in, is maddening! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
3 minutes ago, sparky1972 said:

Well i for one am looking forward to the mild weather next week, beats this cold rain we have had just lately, lets hope the milder/warmer weather can give us hope that an early spring is just around the corner.

doubt it'll by dry! just warmer rain, Tue/Wed look bad

11 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

doubt it'll by dry! just warmer rain, Tue/Wed look bad

Yes, in this case milder means wetter! Some eye-opening totals for the northwest/west in particular from Mon-Wed next week. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

A very cold start to February is pretty much inevitable.

Why?

Because that's the weather I need for the final week of January for the sake of a CET estimate I made. In that situation, the conditions I require always seem to turn up at the start of the following month instead .

• Like 1

Posted

Understandably there is dissapointment today that many forecasted snow for areas turned out to be heavy rain - places just a few miles from me within the London area had no snow at all! Personally, I'm happy with what we got here in southern Essex - first signfiicant snow event since 2019, and it's probably not significant by northern standards, buty consdiering the only snow we got last year was a morning of snow/sleet which did not settle, i'm quite happy to see an inch or two of snow on the ground, and that nice crunching sound you get wearing boots as you walk through it. Hopefully we get more snow - this winter IMO is the best we've had since 2018, quite a lot of snow - and for europe as a whole, some places are ridiculously cold. Lows in Minsk, Belarus of -24C - a whole SIXTEEN DEGREES below average. eastern europe pretty cold, central spain very cold and snowy - snow in paris today too. Makes up for the absolutely, abysmal "winter" we had last year where cities like Berlin failed to record a single day where tempreatures reached freezing, and Moscow had to bring in fake snow for December. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

SOON BE SPRING!!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
5 hours ago, daz_4 said:

We are in the middle of a painful remainder of how winters in Central Europe should look like. First proper cold spell in three years. 15 cm of powder in the middle of my city. It has been snowing since Tuesday. Monday morning will be very cold here in eastern part of Czechia. And then it will be all blown away in matter of hours.

Not sure what magical flip are some expecting. Models are trending milder and milder, January is a closed case. 

Nice to see the snow this week, had snow falling here for over a week, but much of it melted somewhat in the daytimes as temperatures rose just above freezing. Proper winter this weekend with ice days. Then next week, back to rain and wind, with 5°C, vile. Models are trending milder for now, but things are very uncertain and we have all of February (and Smarch) to get through yet....

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 minute ago, Eskimo said:

SOON BE SPRING!!

wishful thinking, can it be good riddance lockdown?

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Nice to see the snow this week, had snow falling here for over a week, but much of it melted somewhat in the daytimes as temperatures rose just above freezing. Proper winter this weekend with ice days. Then next week, back to rain and wind, with 5°C, vile. Models are trending milder for now, but things are very uncertain and we have all of February (and Smarch) to get through yet....

It doesn’t look like January is going to produce the goods now, well nothing severe anyway. That leaves February where the sun’s getting stronger and the days longer, and to be honest when it gets to March I’d rather have something a bit more springlike. It’s been a winter that’s promised a lot but delivered little here....

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
26 minutes ago, YellowSnow said:

It doesn’t look like January is going to produce the goods now, well nothing severe anyway. That leaves February where the sun’s getting stronger and the days longer, and to be honest when it gets to March I’d rather have something a bit more springlike. It’s been a winter that’s promised a lot but delivered little here....

The weather has a habit of surprising us, though. It’s mid January, far too early to be writing winter off, imho (even the rest of this month). The sun doesn’t make a lot of difference in February, it’s still weak and it’s the most likely winter month to get cold and snow. I do also look for springlike conditions in March but the first half can deliver wintry conditions, even in the south. 

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

The weather has a habit of surprising us, though. It’s mid January, far too early to be writing winter off, imho (even the rest of this month). The sun doesn’t make a lot of difference in February, it’s still weak and it’s the most likely winter month to get cold and snow. I do also look for springlike conditions in March but the first half can deliver wintry conditions, even in the south. 

The only thing I like about snow in March is it can be lying deeply in the morning and gone by lunchtime.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots
11 hours ago, Freeze said:

I cannot wait for spanish plume season!

Only 3 months to go until it 'begins', going by what 2018 showed is possible in late April!

It'd be nice to actually have a plume season this year. The last two or three have been absolutely dire!

Edited by Lance M
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather
11 hours ago, Freeze said:

I cannot wait for spanish plume season!

Amen to that!

• Like 3

Posted
35 minutes ago, YellowSnow said:

The only thing I like about snow in March is it can be lying deeply in the morning and gone by lunchtime.

Whilst that can be the case, lying snow can last in March as it did in 2013 and 2018.  I think April is the more likely candidate to have deep snow in the morning and gone by lunchtime with 2008 being a good example.  Also, if the rest of winter does not deliver, I would be more than happy with a snowy March, but each to their own.

Edited by Don
  • Like 1

Posted
8 hours ago, YellowSnow said:

Fair enough. Though the saying ‘beggars can’t be choosers’ springs to mind, it is the UK, after all. Hardly a country renowned for snow (especially the south). March 2018 was fun and I lived 7 miles from Heathrow at the time.