Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2020/21 chat, ramps, moans and banter

Paul

Posted
17 minutes ago, Fozfoster said:

What happened to SM?

Only this 

In all seriousness there was a arguement between him and a other user over a "Greenland" high that was modelled personally 

Knowing it was the pub run it was quite heated leading to SM "leaving"

This is unfortunately the state of the MOD thread as it can be a unsetting if not toxic place to be hence I rarely post there 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Well here in Bingley west yorks weve had our 3rd snowfall of the winter so far.

Doesn't look like deep cold anytime soon though.

• Like 1

Posted

lets get to march,seen more snow in last 10 years in march,then winter and SM was correct no greenland highand still waitinf for this nailed-on cold spell,really only decent snow on high ground

Edited by SLEETY
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

Can we please have a sunny month this year? 8.4 hours of sun half-way through the month is a joke!

Edited by B87
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

I've just remembered that, as I looked forward in hope at what was being modelled a few days ago, there was always a nagging feeling in my mind that the Narnia type scenes  I was imagining would never materialize. It stemmed from the walking regime I had embarked upon in late November and my constant forgetfulness to take with me some secateurs to get a bit of holly for decorations. In my mind I had determined that the best places to get the holly were those where there were plentiful berries to accompany them.  But I had noticed that the berries were not as extensive as I had always imagined tradition demanded precedes a harsh winter, and, what's more, the number that remained was slowly but steadily dwindling.

It came to mind as I saw the models steer away from the dream scenarios....  In future I resolve to temper my excitement until I see that all the models and  John Holmes are in agreement  AND there is a plentiful supply of berries!   

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
20 minutes ago, B87 said:

Can we please have a sunny month this year? 8.4 hours of sun half-way through the month is a joke!

It’s so poor and depressing. Still raining here in Cambridge, pretty much non stop since yesterday morning. Even when it settled down a bit it wasn’t very sunny. Just a bit sick of it to be honest. For a non zonal winter it’s just been awful.

• Like 3

Posted
17 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

It’s so poor and depressing. Still raining here in Cambridge, pretty much non stop since yesterday morning. Even when it settled down a bit it wasn’t very sunny. Just a bit sick of it to be honest. For a non zonal winter it’s just been awful.

We have had 1 sunny month here since last May; September 2020.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
2 hours ago, B87 said:

That is an hour more than we had the entire month in December 1992

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, joggs said:

Well here in Bingley west yorks weve had our 3rd snowfall of the winter so far.

Doesn't look like deep cold anytime soon though.

Yes no complaints here ,roads have been gridlocked all day,i think this time last year all we had by now were a handful of frosts!

• Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, hillbilly said:

That is an hour more than we had the entire month in December 1992

Cloudiest January here was 1996 with 25.3 hours, so it looks like we are well on our way to beating that. Cloudiest December (and month overall) was 2010 with 18.5 hours.

Posted
10 minutes ago, B87 said:

Cloudiest January here was 1996 with 25.3 hours, so it looks like we are well on our way to beating that. Cloudiest December (and month overall) was 2010 with 18.5 hours.

January 1996 was the dullest January here in recent times at 10 hours

The dullest month was December 1918 at 2.8 hours

Strange how a number of very dull months are also followed by anothe dull month albeit not so bad.

December 1914 and January 1915 had 24 hours in total!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny
4 hours ago, B87 said:

That's crazy, it has felt very dull but didn't realise we've had that little sunshine! 

It's been a decent winter for some but a bloody awful winter for others. London's winter only seems to exist in FI nowadays.

Posted
3 minutes ago, Cavehill Snow said:

After the cut & thrust of winter is over, it would be great if you were able to do an educational post regarding how to interpret the newly available ECMWF charts to which you refer in the attached post.

So from outside view reading post over last couple days on models it’s gunna be next winter now for snow especially for us southerners so frustrating really thought we were on on to something couple weeks ago when we had dusting Down here 

Posted

Just watched the nationwide bbc weather after the 10pm news and their graphics showed widespread snow earlier today - all over the east & south east of England. The temperature at that time in my part of Hertfordshire was 5.1c and it rained all day.

Ever since MeteoGroup took over the BBC weather forecasts, ‘a daily express effect’ has been evident in their predictions / observations no matter what time of year it is, their forecasts are the least accurate out there from what I can see.

Edited by Arch Stanton
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow

Still waiting for the first snow of winter in Guildford.

Lowest temperature only -2.7 deg.C so far after only -2.5 deg.C. last winter.

For a non-zonal type winter, this is utter cr*p and outdoes that awful 2005/2006 winter which was full of easterly promise and never delivered. 

Even January 1984 with its north biased snow brought some dregs down here, unlike this pathetic excuse for a 'winter'. Waste of time. 

Virtually no thunder last year and now yet another winter from Hell. If we can't get the snow here then at least a boring mild dry set up would be welcome so I can enjoy some cycling and not be reminded of the snow fest winter up north after all the thunderstorms the north enjoyed last year.

• Like 1

Posted

Even though it's only mid January i'm already thinking of Spring, if we can't get any snow then Winter can just sod off, looking at soaking wet tarmac just doesn't do it for me, it's so depressing what with COVID, lockdown and everything a bit of snow would be very welcome and would lift the SAD somewhat I believe but NOOOOO, can't have that can we?. Roll on Spring and hopefully a Summer like 2018 once again, we deserve at least that after all we have been through with this scummy virus.

• Like 3

Posted

Forget about todays Iceland.

Go back to the Bejam.

I sniff a very cold winter with warm temps and Atlantic pushing into very very cold air. 

Proper winter  coming up. 

The man from del monty says know 

This boy from Chepstow says yeh ❄️

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

A lot to be positive about this morning with upgrades in the model output and Fergie's tweet favouring much colder outbreaks from the end of next week into February. 

I would wager on some very tasty, wintry charts to start appearing in the next few days which will bring the whole of the country into the mix, not just the north.

Edited by John88B
  • Like 1

Posted

Winter index for my area is up to 76 as we are halfway through the meteorological winter.

I reckon it has been the wintriest first half of winter since 2010-11 and that winter was more or less over by this stage. 

Edited by Weather-history

Posted

Day ten, Day ten, Day ten.

at least the models are supporting the Corona Virus fight. The amount of lost vaccination on yesterdays snow shows just how much the current modelling is likely for the best.

certainly an interesting time 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006
Just now, Klippieboo10 said:

Day ten, Day ten, Day ten.

at least the models are supporting the Corona Virus fight. The amount of lost vaccination on yesterdays snow shows just how much the current modelling is likely for the best.

certainly an interesting time 

That is true.

We are not looking for day 10 changes though, we need them at day 4 / 5.

I feel this has actually counted down ok, the problem is it has been gradually downgraded as it has come closer. If what we are looking at now had been at day 10, we would have probably downgraded to mild and very wet.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything below 0c or above 20c. Also love a good thunderstorm!

I'll say the best January we've had recently apart from 2010 is 2017. Then it was very dry, very sunny, frosty and a couple of snow events (in Kent anyway).

It's now been 11 years since we've had a proper cold spell in January.

Echoing what others have said, what an awful month this is turning out to be, what with covid etc as well.

I'm not hoping for snow fest, but something a bit sunnier!

Edited by Bradley in Kent
More text

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything interesting - mostly storms or snow
5 minutes ago, Paul said:

Meanwhile, tonight and through Saturday there'll be some more snow for some. A rapid melt follows, but the UKV 6z brings lying snow into some of those parts who have yet to see any yet this winter. Just don't blink or you may miss it..

Prec type:
pt-anim.gif

Snow accumulation:
sd-amim.gif

I'll believe it when I see it. I expect it'll stall over the west and dump over those who've already been plenty dumped on, or it'll just be rain.

I have no basis for this but my own cynicism.

• Like 1