Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2020/21 chat, ramps, moans and banter

Paul

Posted
1 hour ago, snowblizzard said:

Similar here in SE (Kent)

But, quite often best snowfalls have been from heavy convective showers especially Thames streamers! ❄️❄️❄️❄️

Stop it I'm salivating 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Sometimes less is more...all models do is get your hopes up, GFS is the biggest culprit. I yearn for the Ceefax days or Sunday farmers week forecast when you're hanging on the outlook wording or what was around the corner come Thursday or Friday or the following weekend.

This winter to date has been really disheartening...not much of an Atlantic but still see loads of rain and since Xmas haven't seen one snowflake where I live, and as for that dud Easterly a week or so back, sign of the times.

• Like 3

Posted
6 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

Sometimes less is more...all models do is get your hopes up, GFS is the biggest culprit. I yearn for the Ceefax days or Sunday farmers week forecast when you're hanging on the outlook wording or what was around the corner come Thursday or Friday or the following weekend.

This winter to date has been really disheartening...not much of an Atlantic but still see loads of rain and since Xmas haven't seen one snowflake where I live, and as for that dud Easterly a week or so back, sign of the times.

Yes, but we don't really know what effect the ssw downwelling is having 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold
3 minutes ago, Snowfish2 said:

It’s a displacement SSW so it’s effects are not good for us. If it were a split then maybe better synoptics.

So now we have the jigsaw pieces in the wrong places for a proper wintry spell away from northern regions.

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Snowfish2 said:

Hopefully zero and all UK gets a swift return to mild, so peeps can still get to vaccine hubs. Much more important than a bit of snow. Hopefully, an early warm Spring beckons.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold
9 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

Hopefully zero and all UK gets a swift return to mild, so peeps can still get to vaccine hubs. Much more important than a bit of snow. Hopefully, an early warm Spring beckons.

We had more chances before then when the dreaded SSW struck

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.
3 hours ago, Snowfish2 said:

Can't see anything remotely white or snowy for us south easterners. It's crazy how on such a small island where u live makes such a huge difference....  

You South easterners think you have it bad, try living in the south west! Things have certainly changed over the decades with our climate that's for sure as I've lived  in North Somerset all my life & I can remember so many times as a kid walking to and from school in the snow in the 80s, having schools closed due to deep snow or closing early because heavy snow was forecast.

The classic battleground between cold & mild can really deliver down here but that's the problem, in recent decades the whole pattern has shifted further north & east to the point where in most situations you can draw a perfect arc over the south west of the uk, covering parts of wales & into central southern england where we get rain & everywhere else is seeing snow. 

Posted

Frustrating outlook at the moment as the trend is going the wrong way...the 'nailed on Greenland Block' is nothing more than a small wedge of high anomaly heights and the 'top 10 winters' has delivered me 2 frosts!  Shame SM lost the plot, looks like he called it correct!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
51 minutes ago, prolongedSnowLover said:

We had more chances before then when the dreaded SSW struck

Looks like 2 dud SSW displacements running including the Jan 2019 failure...so much for 66% in our favour. Not over yet but not looking good, had a feeling when we had the cold spell (still chilly now) 25th-10th that would be about it.

• Like 1

Posted

Looking out my window.... drab cold drizzle, then looking a the latest 06z chart - depressing!! I don't like the way the charts are going, 1 good cold run vs 2 mild runs. 

On the flip side we may even get a 15c by the end of Jan if it goes the mild way - the spring daffodils will be sprouting up !! 

And if I see any more 'boooom' phrases on the model forum with a picture of a rubbish looking chart I'm gonna go mad! 

• Like 4

Posted

So much for it all being nailed on, a lot of the people shouting Easterly, Boom, Frigid cold coming it ain’t!!!

The problem is people on the MT are getting excited over charts 10 days out, the charts have been promising 10 days out since November but still no frigid cold 

• Like 7

Posted
11 minutes ago, Penicuikblizzard said:

So much for it all being nailed on, a lot of the people shouting Easterly, Boom, Frigid cold coming it ain’t!!!

The problem is people on the MT are getting excited over charts 10 days out, the charts have been promising 10 days out since November but still no frigid cold 

Totally agree. Have given up going in the model thread now, it's literally like a classroom of squabbling five year old boys. They all need to get out more.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 minute ago, Mac_SE said:

Totally agree. Have given up going in the model thread now, it's literally like a classroom of squabbling five year old boys. They all need to get out more.

difficult in quarantine!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

For once I'm in two minds about a cold snowy spell because of the vaccine situation, but I'd say a change to mild and wet wouldn't be ideal either as snow lovers wouldn't get their snow and the transport of the vaccine could be hindered by flooding, which is already a recurring issue in some places after the wet October and December.  As Covid-19 thrives on high humidity, probably the optimal scenario from a Covid-19 point of view would be a dry spell with low humidity, like on 8-20 February 2008 or mid to late February 2019.

Regardless of the vaccine issues, it remains no less frustrating to be down here near the English Riviera while many other places are getting snow, but I did see a bit of the white stuff over Christmas and may also be moving to a snowier part of the country by next winter.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
  • Like 1

Posted

I live in the stormless, snowless black-hole of Calcutta also known as North Hampshire.

This Winter so far (at the half way mark) has been another dud. Some cold days with a couple of frosts, but a 5 minute wet snowfall which melted on impact with my soaking wet patio was as good as it got.

Fully looking for spring now - really need the sun to make an appearance for any early signs to start emerging.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter, warm and sunny in summer

I'm so model jaded right now. Proper cold is always 10 days away, and even if the background signals and/or synoptics are primed to deliver snow and ice to the UK, whatever can throw a spanner in the works will throw a spanner in the works.

I mean even Spain gets more snow than us!

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, Azazel said:

I live in the stormless, snowless black-hole of Calcutta also known as North Hampshire.

This Winter so far (at the half way mark) has been another dud. Some cold days with a couple of frosts, but a 5 minute wet snowfall which melted on impact with my soaking wet patio was as good as it got.

Fully looking for spring now - really need the sun to make an appearance for any early signs to start emerging.

can't come soon enough, willing these quarantine days by

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WHITE GOLD
1 hour ago, KTtom said:

Frustrating outlook at the moment as the trend is going the wrong way...the 'nailed on Greenland Block' is nothing more than a small wedge of high anomaly heights and the 'top 10 winters' has delivered me 2 frosts!  Shame SM lost the plot, looks like he called it correct!

What happened to SM?

Posted
1 minute ago, Fozfoster said:

What happened to SM?

Good riddance too! no more flying teddies, see Midlands thread, few pages ago now

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow
1 minute ago, Fozfoster said:

What happened to SM?

I think he saw the writing on the wall with the potential for the SSW a good week or so and called it.  Got despondent with  knowing that yet another nondescript winter was in store  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, Fozfoster said:

What happened to SM?

Yes, he was having a dissagreement on the chances of a Greenland high forming, for once SM was trying to convince a couple of the newer members why it wasnt going to happen...then he lost his cool somewhat (thats a conservative description )

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Why are people writing this Winter off already. Last I heard February is a Winter month and it doesn't start for over 2 weeks yet. Then it's 4 weeks long before we reach meteorological Spring, add another 3 weeks until astronomical Spring (remember 2013 and 2018). This gives us at least another 9 to 10 weeks potentially for a proper cold and snowy spell. Keep the faith peeps, nobody can promise you there won't be any proper Winter in all that time.

• Like 2