Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2020/21 chat, ramps, moans and banter

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

I thought some might find this interesting. It highlights the effects of the north sea on snow around the Tyne. Looks like 4 to 9km inland was required for snow to settle

NS_Snow.thumb.jpg.f5a5b8fd9aae3f510b0d2ba911f465e2.jpg

EDIT: I should add that the image is from the 9th

Edited by BornFromTheVoid
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Starting to look like a right mess on the models to get to the promised land...the 'clean' evolutions were never going to be...

DeterminedFemaleBuck-mobile.jpg
GFYCAT.COM

Watch and share Tropic Thunder GIFs on Gfycat

Edited by Froze were the Days
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

I think there needs to be a "strongly disagree" button that people can hit on a post instead of everyone disagreeing with it quoting it to say they disagree with it!

The bizarre comment about having to wait for the 19/20th for the cold spell to begin - which I thought everyone was always suggesting as the timeframe anyway with just a hint of something in the interim - is rightly attracting a few "what are you talking about?" responses that might be better expressed in the push of such a button!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow upon snow upon SNOW!!!

Wanted to put this in the model discussion thread but don’t think the MODS would allow hahaha!

oldskool breakdown of the 63’ snowmageddon Boxing Day onwards...

quite comical how the ‘weather experts’ at the time broke it down...

they ended by saying the route cause for the epic winter weather could be blamed on... the Hawaiians

D54D22BC-AE0A-44F9-8A9F-779F3AE88504.png

B0BD268F-948C-4F5F-B41F-0D14003017A6.png

D47155C8-88C8-4BCD-87CF-00D4E8DAAD7A.png

F78DA126-D52E-4E80-81B6-B9D9DBA05149.png

AD83D328-8D6A-4657-9119-8C22755CFD1E.png

62D8331C-C759-423C-AC1E-AFAD5F1D8537.png

BF74EA7D-4D92-425F-A9EF-2BAB7CAD969E.png

53CEB678-CBED-4309-965B-8F9DBAD5638C.png

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, BornFromTheVoid said:

I thought some might find this interesting. It highlights the effects of the north sea on snow around the Tyne. Looks like 4 to 9km inland was required for snow to settle

NS_Snow.thumb.jpg.f5a5b8fd9aae3f510b0d2ba911f465e2.jpg

And a bit of altitude. I live in Whickham where we had around 4" in total, around 170m ASL. At 5am I took my wife to work and, 1 mile away at around 130m ASL (top of Dunston Bank) there was a slushy covering. I'm pretty much bottom left of that map

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frost, thunderstorms and sunny summer days.
1 hour ago, Froze were the Days said:

Starting to look like a right mess on the models to get to the promised land...the 'clean' evolutions were never going to be...

DeterminedFemaleBuck-mobile.jpg
GFYCAT.COM

Watch and share Tropic Thunder GIFs on Gfycat

I’m not paying too much attention to each model run at the moment. They are so incredibly different each time that I think almost anything could happen from uncle Barty to auntie Arctic. One thing it definitely isn’t is “Nailed”. ??‍♂️??‍♂️

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow (Mostly)

Like just before Christmas, there is a cold trend emerging. Not saying or knowledgeable enough to say deep cold snowy nirvana but the cold features keep appearing.

GFS 6Z At 213 image.thumb.png.e698ca76ae1366dd6aa311e102f86c74.png image.thumb.png.175f90eacdd954ebe9b9299e7d907ee9.png

Ensembles - control on the colder side further out into January:

image.thumb.png.1ad9f8d8a96f7c912442cfd1b5d31ce3.png

Still more options on the table compared to previous years! Still game on for cold hunters! ❄️

• Like 2

Posted

Met office credibility on the line in their latest long range update  , regarding next cold_ spell, going  for snow risk mainly north of the country and hills, let's see how this plays out, even though they never mention when they get it wrong. 

19 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

Met office credibility on the line in their latest long range update  , regarding next cold_ spell, going  for snow risk mainly north of the country and hills, let's see how this plays out, even though they never mention when they get it wrong. 

It doesn't contradict what the publicly available stuff is showing IMO... repeated attacks from the south-west that may or not manage to push north.

Posted

I thought my desire for snow was high, but the Model thread: good grief, a different level entirely.

Pretty sure that thread's desperation for the white stuff is a cast-iron snow shield all by itself 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun in summer, Snow in Winter
13 minutes ago, Mac_SE said:

I thought my desire for snow was high, but the Model thread: good grief, a different level entirely.

Pretty sure that thread's desperation for the white stuff is a cast-iron snow shield all by itself 

I agree . Heres the12z Op for Monday. All the real cold is draining to SE Europe the same as it always seems to. 

This already contradicts both Judah Cohen ( AER ) and Gavins (  Weatheroutlook ) views.

So for day 6 there is virtually nothing of wintriness in the UK at all.  So where is the excitement ?  

image.png

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, SLEETY said:

Sadly, I think they are going to right. My own sense is that in small increments we in the south are are slowly seeing things get watered down. Heights too strong over Iberia so the cold can't get south. Could still be wrong of course as we are talking 8/9/10 days away but the trend isn't good. Its a subtle trend but its there. 

We do have some chance of snow IMHO, which is better than the last spell when realistically down here it was always close to zero for anything more than a bit of slush. I'm not that enthused though tbh as at present I'm seeing a bog standard winter cold spell and nothing more than that for much of the south. Potential for plenty of snow oop north though.

• Like 2

Posted
49 minutes ago, Shunter said:

I agree . Heres the12z Op for Monday. All the real cold is draining to SE Europe the same as it always seems to. 

This already contradicts both Judah Cohen ( AER ) and Gavins (  Weatheroutlook ) views.

So for day 6 there is virtually nothing of wintriness in the UK at all.  So where is the excitement ?  

image.png

From Gavsweathervids latest video – here – it's day 7/8 after the second low pushes west to east around the 19th/20th that people are getting excited about, namely a Greenland high, -10 isotherm across the country, Channel lows, north-east winds: the whole kaboodle. Some definite model agreement in the trends, but hey, we've been here many, many times before only for it to never verify. However, this time around, it does look like a much stronger signal for something akin to proper winter in the UK. We shall see.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Believe me there are no -10 850 uppers anywhere to be seen on the last couple of GFS runs over the UK and is trending in the wrong direction and ECM looks like showing marginality at best for the south if we get near the day 8-10 scenario - further north the better. As for Judah Cohen the amount of times he's been wrong regarding European weather...

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
1 hour ago, Froze were the Days said:

Believe me there are no -10 850 uppers anywhere to be seen on the last couple of GFS runs over the UK and is trending in the wrong direction and ECM looks like showing marginality at best for the south if we get near the day 8-10 scenario - further north the better. As for Judah Cohen the amount of times he's been wrong regarding European weather...

Sorry that's not true there are runs that hit -10 and these are on the south coast.

A massive kick in the face if ecm comes off, because yet AGAIN we miss the main crux of the cold and it ends up a marginal mess for the majority. I would suggest it's one of the more sensible options however given it's a very similar synoptic to a type that we have seen twice this winter thus far and nothing major has changed to suddenly warrant us heading into the freezer in the next 10/14 days..no I do not believe we are not seeing the effects of the SSW yet - that will come later in some way shape or form. Ecm delivers really well for those who happen to live in the mountains, but for the many not the few it is, yet again, really rather rubbish! And I cannot be the only one who is getting incredibly bored with having to pray that evaporative cooling is on our side, let's be real the majority of us want to go into the freezer 09/10 style and this ain't it. Some were recently touting a 'historic January', uhh where, what so drastically changed?!

• Like 2

Posted

It seems the situation is as unchanged as has always been this winter. Decent synoptics, but the air for the majority just isn’t cold enough. I’ve heard the sequel to ‘The Day After Tomorrow’ is gonna be ‘Day 10, maybe Day 12’. 

Better than 12 degree south-westerlies I suppose. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow
31 minutes ago, WxHerts said:

A massive kick in the face if ecm comes off, because yet AGAIN we miss the main crux of the cold and it ends up a marginal mess for the majority. I would suggest it's one of the more sensible options however given it's a very similar synoptic to a type that we have seen twice this winter thus far and nothing major has changed to suddenly warrant us heading into the freezer in the next 10/14 days..no I do not believe we are not seeing the effects of the SSW yet - that will come later in some way shape or form. Ecm delivers really well for those who happen to live in the mountains, but for the many not the few it is, yet again, really rather rubbish! And I cannot be the only one who is getting incredibly bored with having to pray that evaporative cooling is on our side, let's be real the majority of us want to go into the freezer 09/10 style and this ain't it. Some were recently touting a 'historic January', uhh where, what so drastically changed?!

Climate change innit. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
55 minutes ago, Gustywind said:

True, I still remember plenty of moaning back in Dec 2010!

There was a lot more moaning in 2011,12,14,15,16,17,19

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot n cold
4 minutes ago, Malcolm Edwards said:

That interesting regarding gulls moving inland. I too have noticed some rare birds appearing here in marazion. Sign of things to come? 

They just know Cornwall will be lovely and mild for em'

• Like 1

Posted

Here is why "get the cold in first" is such a pointless cliché.

I've finally had something resembling winter these past few days - three ice days on the bounce with - 8C this morning (bone dry, of course). Guess what happened when the precipitation arrived this afternoon? About five minutes of snow followed by drip, drip, drip. It's barely above freezing even now but that's seemingly enough to turn a potentially good snow event into a damp squib.

The next few days are looking better for snow but given my atrocious luck at the moment I can’t possibly rule out things going wrong again. It's almost like snow isn't allowed here anymore.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frost, thunderstorms and sunny summer days.

The way we’re going at the moment, by the time this SSW has any effect on our weather I’ll be laying on the beach in my budgie smugglers with a Cornetto in my hand.

• Like 1