Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2020/21 chat, ramps, moans and banter

Paul

Posted

What the hells going on in the mod thread? I couldn't keep up as it was some of the quickest moderator deleting response I've ever seen there.

Edited by andy989
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 minute ago, andy989 said:

What the hells going on in the mod thread? I couldn't keep as it was some.of the quickest moderator deleting response I've ever seen there.

seen his FB profile, he looks like an adult? WTH, yeah though quick moderator deleting

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun, Deep Snow, Convective Goodness, Anvil Crawlers

We do what we need to do...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

For heaven's sake Steve grow up, 10 year old boy, where's the ignore button

He's quick to dish it out, but less able to take it. Shame really, but such is life.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Jason M said:

He's quick to dish it out, but less able to take it. Shame really, but such is life.

hope he is banned, absolute nonsense

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Team Jo said:

We do what we need to do...

Honestly it was so quick I don't think many saw it

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun, Deep Snow, Convective Goodness, Anvil Crawlers

There’s no room for personal attacks on here, from anyone, so appropriate action is taken when that happens.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

seen his FB profile, he looks like an adult? WTH, yeah though quick moderator deleting

I was under the impression he was a middle aged man    total implosion     should never grace this forum again  

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, weirpig said:

I was under the impression he was a middle aged man    total implosion     should never grace this forum again  

he will, moderators have favourites!

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

I think 78/79 was proper cold. I seem to remember a nasty cold spell around xmas 85. Yes early 87 was a real cold spell. Was it 94/ 95 as well. That was a prolonged spell of beast from the east? 

'94 was good, 2 good snow spells in Feb, not technically a beast, but as good as, don't remember 80's

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 hour ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Wish it was late February!

Hehe, part of me does, too. I do still enjoy seeing snow, though. Plenty of time for a decent cold spell to occur. Statistically more likely in the second half of winter, too

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frost, thunderstorms and sunny summer days.
2 hours ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Right there chap. When I was a kid we never seemed to get much snow. Apart from 78/79  and 81. As an old git these days i shiver at the thought of that Beast from the East and minus 5 max temps. Yuk. Frozen pipes. Frozen feet. Frozen slush. Frozen windscreen in the motor. Travel disruption. Trains not running. Cars abandoned. 2 duvets on the bed. Risk breaking your leg on horrible pavements  Roll on spring! 

Surely you must remember the other cold winters as well. Jan & Feb 85, Feb 86, and Jan87. I worked outside in all of them, and whilst it was a novelty for a while, the feeling of cold wet feet, frozen hands and biting winds soon made you feel differently about cold weather. It really was very miserable. 

Posted
9 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

Hehe, part of me does, too. I do still enjoy seeing snow, though. Plenty of time for a decent cold spell to occur. Statistically more likely in the second half of winter, too

I mean quarantine wise, want this to go as quick as possible, by late Feb, long way off I know, we may even have an end date possible

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
Just now, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

I mean quarantine wise, want this to go as quick as possible, by late Feb, long way off I know, we may even have an end date possible

Hope you’re right, I have a feeling it won’t be much better until early summer 

Posted
2 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Hope you’re right, I have a feeling it won’t be much better until early summer 

Aye June, non essential retail to open, hospitality too

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow
12 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

Born in 76, so almost moving into my old git territory(45 in May), and my memories of snowy winters began somewhere in the 1980s.

I vaguely remember snow in London during January before 1981, because we moved in late 1980. So my earliest memory of London snow was either January 1980, or 79. Not sure though, because looking at records 1980 was snowless in London. 

My first proper memory of feeling cold and getting frostbite was either 1986 or January 1987, and February 1991 was a classic cold snowy spell.

To anyone who born after 1985, I would say winter of 2008/09 produced the best London snow since 1991, and remember the heavy snow in early feb 2009. December 2010 was also another classic. 

Feb 1994 was still decent for snow, but not as good as others above.

Ok, long boring rant over.

You would have been 5 going on 6 for one of the best winters we've ever had!  I'd started working as a messenger in the City during 1981 and got told snow never settled.  It did in December 1981 and hung around from the 8th to 26th!  Then it came again just after NYD and hung around again!

On another note, I get a little miffed from newbies saying don't do this, don't do that it confuses the newbies on here.  One I saw recently in the modle thread was along the lines of  'don't post charts showing cold in two weeks time because it won't happen and it confuses newbies!'. From a self-confessed newbie!   abc!  People need to realise this is a forum that has been going many many years and kept going by people who post all year round not just when there's a hint of snow in the air.  Of course there are little in house jokes and references derived from such a long period of comradeship, not to mention talk between members that assumes a level of knowledge.  I don't see any need for the seasoned members to amend their posting norms.  They are the very reason there is a forum for the newbies to come onto at such a time. Those newbies who moan about what is being (and what also has been) posted are most likely to be the ones that would never stick around in any case. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
13 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

Born in 76, so almost moving into my old git territory(45 in May), and my memories of snowy winters began somewhere in the 1980s.

I vaguely remember snow in London during January before 1981, because we moved in late 1980. So my earliest memory of London snow was either January 1980, or 79. Not sure though, because looking at records 1980 was snowless in London. 

My first proper memory of feeling cold and getting frostbite was either 1986 or January 1987, and February 1991 was a classic cold snowy spell.

To anyone who born after 1985, I would say winter of 2008/09 produced the best London snow since 1991, and remember the heavy snow in early feb 2009. December 2010 was also another classic. 

Feb 1994 was still decent for snow, but not as good as others above.

Ok, long boring rant over.

I can vaguely remember 62/63, but the ones that really stick in my mind are the ones from the late 70s through the 80s mainly because I  had to work outside for 8 hours a day. 78/9, 81/2 and 87 were bl.. dy freezing. No question of staying off of work, had a mortgage to pay, and a young family to look after. 

I've always maintained, poncing around in it for a couple of hours is one thing, working in it is quite another. At 61, those days are thankfully gone now, still enjoy a good snowfall though, much better looking at it through my lounge window. 

• Like 3

Posted
3 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Yes, my allegiance from Cold to warmth usually changes 31st March, however this year it will be brought foreword to 31st Jan. From then Ill be looking for a quick introduction of Spring so people can get out and about. If were going to have a last blast of winter I'm hoping it will be the last week of Jan.

• Like 5