Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2020/21 chat, ramps, moans and banter

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
Just now, Sunny76 said:

I have a feeling it will turn colder at some point. Maybe we are finished with the snow for this year, but I wouldn’t rule out another cold spell of weather. 

Agree, still a good 4 weeks where significant cold and snow is possible. 

Posted
11 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Agree, still a good 4 weeks where significant cold and snow is possible. 

That’s right. But after March 20th, I’m craving the warm, hot weather and thunderstorms. 

The next thing after winter is the build up to the first thundery period for me. I really hope we get a severe widespread storm event this summer. Will be 40 years since the Daytime Darkness of August 1981.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
8 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

That’s right. But after March 20th, I’m craving the warm, hot weather and thunderstorms. 

The next thing after winter is the build up to the first thundery period for me. I really hope we get a severe widespread storm event this summer. Will be 40 years since the Daytime Darkness of August 1981.

Can't wait for the first plume with storms coming out of France over the channel

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
52 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

An unforgettable event! Fingers crossed for a decent thundery spring and summer. Lots of weather to get through, before then. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Amazing after the rather cold start to February it could end up being a mild month!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C
1 hour ago, Summer Sun said:

Hamburg could record its warmest February day on record today beating the old high of 17.2c

Incredible given how cold the Netherlands and Germany were just a week and 1/2 ago, Berlin looks set to do the same.

Posted

Another pathetic Winter coming to an end,all that chasing cold then when it actually arrived it only lasted a week,and wasnt that severe compared to previous cold -spells,before the mild weather finally broke through and will probably last weeks now.

If thats the best winter can offer now,then probably not worth chasing cold weather in the Winter anymore.

Signing out on another letdown for the vast majority of cold-weather fans away from high ground in the North and the Scottish Highlands where nobody can visit to enjoy the snow.

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, mcfcson said:

Is it just me or has the weather this year been 2018 esque? here's hoping this summer is also 2018 esque for my personal preference!

Not really, are you talking last 12 months. I guess there was a similarity or sorts back in Spring, 2020 spring started a month earlier than 2018 but we had a similar lengthy warm dry period, but came to an end in June. Autumn 2018 and 2020 not the same. Winter 18-19 quite different to this winter.

There has been similarities last 14 months with 1990, and start of 1991 I feel.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

I’m just glad we’re finally due a settled start to March. Of course early March is often unsettled but we haven’t had a settled start to the month since 2013.

Giveh the ridiculous decision to keep gyms closed until mid April, the drier and warmer the better for me personally to at least be able to workout outside.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Wow what a end to the European winter. Currently very warm conditions over here but the sunshine feels very nice. Cold weather in March is no good to anyone apart from the Ski resorts !  Not sure how your winter is going to pan out in terms of cold rankings for you guys but possibly the synoptics that seemed right for cold hardly delivered for many folk ? Here in Central Europe another mild one notched up with hardly any snowfall for lowlanders ! The cold block to the east hardly nowadays holds back the Atlantic warmth. ( re : failure of the last cold spell to prolong more than a few days .

C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow
39 minutes ago, carinthian said:

Wow what a end to the European winter. Currently very warm conditions over here but the sunshine feels very nice. Cold weather in March is no good to anyone apart from the Ski resorts !  Not sure how your winter is going to pan out in terms of cold rankings for you guys but possibly the synoptics that seemed right for cold hardly delivered for many folk ? Here in Central Europe another mild one notched up with hardly any snowfall for lowlanders ! The cold block to the east hardly nowadays holds back the Atlantic warmth. ( re : failure of the last cold spell to prolong more than a few days .

C

Indeed..,, for many who would usually go skiing in late February / March, the Covid lockdown might be a little bit of a blessing in disguise!  I see the temperatures in Ischgl where I've been the last two years out of three are 13C today and around 9C to 11C  with no snow for the rest of the week.  While I know that doesn't  necessarily impact that harshly on conditions further up the mountains, I'd feel mighty disappointed if I didn't see it snowing in my resort going at this time of the year!!   Even up top it's 3C today!  

Seems to be a notable decline in temps in a week or so, so perhaps the cold block has one more show of strength left in it......

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, carinthian said:

C

Some parts of C Europe have had more seasonal conditions than others. Had a decent 3-3.5 week cold spell here in the Czech Republic with significant snowfall (over 20cm lying in the last week) over most of that period. Lowest temperatures in Prague were around -15°C and quite a few ice days recorded, not too shabby. But otherwise, not a cold winter and feeling quite mild for much of it. 

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, stainesbloke said:

Some parts of C Europe have had more seasonal conditions than others. Had a decent 3-3.5 week cold spell here in the Czech Republic with significant snowfall (over 20cm lying in the last week) over most of that period. Lowest temperatures in Prague were around -15°C and quite a few ice days recorded, not too shabby. But otherwise, not a cold winter and feeling quite mild for much of it. 

Not even close to a three-week cold spell here (a week at best). The main thrust of the cold went to the north. Meanwhile it reached 16.5C here today.

Overall another lame winter but for personal reasons I'm looking forward to spring this year. It's been a trying winter to say the least. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots
On 22/02/2021 at 22:02, mcfcson said:

Is it just me or has the weather this year been 2018 esque? here's hoping this summer is also 2018 esque for my personal preference!

I'd say a mish-mash of 2018 and 2019 so far, except not quite the same extremes of temperature those winters had, with the cold of 2018 and the warmth of this time in 2019.

5 hours ago, Lance M said:

I'd say a mish-mash of 2018 and 2019 so far, except not quite the same extremes of temperature those winters had, with the cold of 2018 and the warmth of this time in 2019.

This is a fair interpretation in my opinion, we didn’t have the same bitterly easterlies we had in 2018 but pattern wise this winter has been pretty similar we’ve just not had the same extreme cold for a length of time, it tended to be short bursts of extreme cold and longer periods of colder than average although we have to remember it hit -23c on one night in Scotland. I’m worried about the March high pressure as a warm weather fan though, I feel like having a nice early spring might lead to a shocking summer but I don’t know if this is me just being pessimistic

Posted
14 hours ago, AderynCoch said:

Not even close to a three-week cold spell here (a week at best). The main thrust of the cold went to the north. Meanwhile it reached 16.5C here today.

Overall another lame winter but for personal reasons I'm looking forward to spring this year. It's been a trying winter to say the least. 

Remarkable how conditions have been so different across C Europe. Apart from the 3.5 week colder spell here, it’s been mainly quite mild. Am looking forward to spring too, and the longer days. Winter isn’t my favourite season but it’s more bearable here than it was in London.

Posted

It is nice to have sunshine but frosty nights as looks likely over the next few days. Not a fan of the very mild temps this week its abnormal and crazy, only in the UK is 18 degrees likely in feb !!. Still hoping for one last cold, snowy blast next month though.

• Like 1

Posted
25 minutes ago, SNOWING35 said:

It is nice to have sunshine but frosty nights as looks likely over the next few days. Not a fan of the very mild temps this week its abnormal and crazy, only in the UK is 18 degrees likely in feb !!. Still hoping for one last cold, snowy blast next month though.

Indeed it is.  I have felt my hayfever trying to come on the last few days!  Need another cold push before spring really kicks in!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos

And yet I don't think it's felt that warm due to the strength of the wind 

Posted
1 hour ago, SNOWING35 said:

Not a fan of the very mild temps this week its abnormal and crazy, only in the UK is 18 degrees likely in feb !!. 

Is it really ? Is it that far from the mean compared to the cold period we have just had? Plenty of years with spring like days at the end of February. Has been even warmer in France for the last few days, so just normal spring variations. We are only 4 weeks from the Equinox which means the sun strength is the equivalent to late October.

1 hour ago, Don said:

Indeed it is.  I have felt my hayfever trying to come on the last few days!  Need another cold push before spring really kicks in!

Eh ? What pollen is floating around at the moment ?

• Like 5