Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2020/21 chat, ramps, moans and banter

Paul

Posted
4 hours ago, Daniel* said:

What are you an Eskimo? The south of England doesn’t experience a U.K. summer you can’t lump 4 corners of country together the summers they experience in Scotland, are very different to down here, as a child during summer we would frequently stay in Hampshire I know what your summers are like and they’re good. Your expectations are far too high when normal is actually pretty decent. We have plenty of months of good useable weather. 

I'll be happy if we get another summer 2018, or 2013 even. 2019 was poor, and 2020 went downhill in June. 

I'm now at the point where i get tired of the darkness of winter and cold weather. I want the warmth soon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
7 hours ago, Timmytour said:

Hi John

I think the second part of your quote in italics is actually the first part of your response but it had me a bit confused at first!!!

Not trying to compare winter 1947 with March 2013, but use them as examples of how people have hopes of things developing.....so for example I'm sure many were hoping the recent cold spell would develop into another 1947....ie a winter that came late but stayed around until well into March.  Now that, for the most part (or maybe the most people) winter has been fairly disappointing for those who love prolonged bouts of cold and snow, March 2013 is put forward as an example of the kind of month we can get when the "real Winter" months have been disappointing.   My point is that both will happen again  (essentially 1947 did in 62/63 with an earlier start) but maybe not for another generation.  

I completely get what you say about the returns. More than most, these are the kind of statistics an insurance company will use to try an ensure it charges enough premium over the number of years it will appear to have made a profit, to cover the occasional year when it has to pay out on everything! 

Have to agree with you there Timmytour.There have been some very good examples of very cold and snowy periods late in the season and my Gran often used the phrase “Ne'er cast a clout 'til May be out”.Yes 2013 and 2018 have shown us what March can do and had the set up this season only been slightly different it may not have been another 1947 but could have resembled 1986.In fact in our area it did indeed remind me of 1986 in part as the high ground got a reasonable cover of snow but little in the valleys,just not quite the amounts and lacking real cold and longevity.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold

edit: just saw paul's comment and leaving it at that

Edited by Atmogenic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

So we've got SE winds today. Bit like last Saturday when we got a few snow grains here. 

Today its almost mild in the strong winds. I think we can happily put Winter to bed here now, it will take a miracle to give us cold again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
29 minutes ago, philglossop said:

So we've got SE winds today. Bit like last Saturday when we got a few snow grains here. 

Today its almost mild in the strong winds. I think we can happily put Winter to bed here now, it will take a miracle to give us cold again.

Agreed! Going by the models, we may actually a benign and potentially springlike start to March for once. Will probably all change but I’d take that over yet another half hearted cold spell.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool, cold, snow and blizzards.

Awful weather today.  Whether you prefer it mild (yuck) or cold this kind of weather isn't much use to anyone, especially on a Saturday.

• Like 1

Posted
19 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

I'll be happy if we get another summer 2018, or 2013 even. 2019 was poor, and 2020 went downhill in June. 

I'm now at the point where i get tired of the darkness of winter and cold weather. I want the warmth soon.

Already looking forward to the 21st June, not long now...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow
37 minutes ago, philglossop said:

I'd normally want to muster a vigorous defence at seeing such a remark, but I'm inclined to think, contrary to what I hope.... that we are looking at a sunny, mild and dry March.

I'm now beginning to think it might develop like 1945 where a January with a mean CET of less than 1C was followed by a February  with one of over 7C !  Of course it hasn't happened in  a monthly spell this time, but I think parallels exist in how the temperatures have risen lately from where they were the other week. 

This was the beginning of March 1945, and the start of a  mild sunny and dry month, which I don't think is a million miles away from where the models are currently suggesting is the direction  we are travelling in.....

1662522138_March1945.thumb.jpg.5681e2db4337ca824a3d6a4dcb1d610c.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

The somewhat hysterical predictions of 20°C+ occurring this coming week appear to have been a little overblown?

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.

Winters are usually so dull and boring here I actually hate it - the only thing I will miss is the fun of watching the cold/snowy charts becoming reality.. then moving on to the regionals to report your first snowflake, or sleet .. you don't get that in the summer but I do prefer it for so many reasons.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

could well be now that winter finished on 14th Feb, been a decent one but from now just dry boring and quite mild, until when lockdown is eased get ready for wettest spells ever in april

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

14th Feb.....could be a new type of St Swithin's indicator.....the depth of cold we get modelled on that day for the following five days is what we get end up getting for the next 40 days!

I guess we couldn't call it St Swithin's day though.....I wonder if there's any other appropriate saint's name we could use instead......

Posted
36 minutes ago, Timmytour said:

14th Feb.....could be a new type of St Swithin's indicator.....the depth of cold we get modelled on that day for the following five days is what we get end up getting for the next 40 days!

I guess we couldn't call it St Swithin's day though.....I wonder if there's any other appropriate saint's name we could use instead......

Not really. July 14th is slap bang in the middle of meteorological summer, 14th February leaves 2 weeks to meteorological spring.

Posted
4 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

The somewhat hysterical predictions of 20°C+ occurring this coming week appear to have been a little overblown?

Still going to be very mild though and one or two places may record a 20C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.

Feels quite warm out - Just been out for a walk and exercise with family in our local woods and fields.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 hour ago, Don said:

Still going to be very mild though and one or two places may record a 20C.

My hometown near Heathrow has a maximum of 14°C predicted for Wednesday, and that’s the highest temperature expected all week. Maybe a 16°C somewhere. It should feel very pleasant out, if sunny. 15°C here yesterday, was a gorgeous day (much cooler today, though).

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

The SE is looking dry and mild for the foreseeable future. Hoping for a 2018 repeat but without the beast please! ☀️

Posted

The weather is so up and down these days since 2006/07 especially record hot record dry and much more increasingly record wet,record cold last summer was unusual with those apocalyptic style thunderstorms.

There are no seasons anymore and spring is here,winter will be back in spring.

Edited by Snowyowl9
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Record cold last summer?

• Like 2

Posted
27 minutes ago, Snowyowl9 said:

The weather is so up and down these days since 2006/07 especially record hot record dry and much more increasingly record wet,record cold last summer was unusual with those apocalyptic style thunderstorms.

There are no seasons anymore and spring is here,winter will be back in spring.

UK weather always all over the place. Nothing new particularly. 

Posted
3 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

My hometown near Heathrow has a maximum of 14°C predicted for Wednesday, and that’s the highest temperature expected all week. Maybe a 16°C somewhere. It should feel very pleasant out, if sunny. 15°C here yesterday, was a gorgeous day (much cooler today, though).

Metoffice is showing a max of 17C for Heathrow  on Wednesday.  It's been very mild in Prague too?!

Posted
1 hour ago, Don said:

Metoffice is showing a max of 17C for Heathrow  on Wednesday.  It's been very mild in Prague too?!

One mild day yesterday, which was lovely after over 3 weeks of cold and snow, where it was -15°C on some mornings. Only 4°C and murky today, though. A few very mild days this week but then back to more normal temperatures. 

• Like 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

One mild day yesterday, which was lovely after over 3 weeks of cold and snow, where it was -15°C on some mornings. Only 4°C and murky today, though. A few very mild days this week but then back to more normal temperatures. 

I have a feeling it will turn colder at some point. Maybe we are finished with the snow for this year, but I wouldn’t rule out another cold spell of weather. 

• Like 1