Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2020/21 chat, ramps, moans and banter

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
9 hours ago, johnholmes said:

No idea where you are, please put your town in your avatar then we know why you feel so bad?

agree! guess he is around Wolverhampton with that name

Posted
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

You will always find me reveling in the misery of when Jona Lewie comes on Azazel's radio and plays this little ditty. No not the festive one! lol

To be fair this is much more appealing than that awful Christmas song

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
On 17/02/2021 at 14:31, Atmogenic said:

That's based where u live though, you live in the midlands whilst some of us live in the southeast, 18-20c in middle of MAY is quite cool tbh, that's more close to the middle of April here in the southeast so I don't agree with that as different areas of the UK experience a different  type of average temperatures.

Always  a marked difference during the summer between the S.W and the S.E  my missus moved down here 30 odd years ago from London, and she has often remarked about the wetness of the place .  Apparently more and more peeps are relocating down here due to Covid,  house prices etc, hope they're not  expecting too much weather wise .  Having  lived in Somerset all my 61 years, and worked outside for 30   of them I reckon I've pretty much seen it all  with regards to the weather. Lots of times  we've had to endure a wet winter, followed by a wet spring followed by a crap cool, wet summer .

Posted
On 17/02/2021 at 14:31, Atmogenic said:

That's based where u live though, you live in the midlands whilst some of us live in the southeast, 18-20c in middle of MAY is quite cool tbh, that's more close to the middle of April here in the southeast so I don't agree with that as different areas of the UK experience a different  type of average temperatures.

No it isn’t. 18C is average max in London in May cooler elsewhere. Days in 20s are quite common however. Last May my average max was 21.5C this would be a hot summer month in Scotland  

Posted
4 hours ago, snowblizzard said:

John Hammond on BBC SE Weather still touting for another possible cold spell or BFTE early March!

Bless him, good old cold ramper!  ❄️❄️❄️❄️

Will be interesting to see his monthly outlook tomorrow!

Edited by Don

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool, cold, snow and blizzards.
10 hours ago, Azazel said:

I do lad - you won't find me sniping at people who enjoy the cold in the winter - but you will find plenty who revel in the misery of others when its cool/rainy in the summer.

Nice try though.

Well you can look on the bright side with the fact the warmer half of the year is rapidly approaching.

Me?  I think I'm going to invest in some portable AC and blackout curtains for the months of sweaty misery ahead.

• Like 1

Posted
9 hours ago, Simon M said:

Well you can look on the bright side with the fact the warmer half of the year is rapidly approaching.

Me?  I think I'm going to invest in some portable AC and blackout curtains for the months of sweaty misery ahead.

Weeks and months of mostly 18-21c weather with dull and cool weather, and maybe the odd week or two of 25-32c, and a 2-3 day 35c.

Talk about being overdramatic!

Posted
15 hours ago, Daniel* said:

No it isn’t. 18C is average max in London in May cooler elsewhere. Days in 20s are quite common however. Last May my average max was 21.5C this would be a hot summer month in Scotland  

18c is cold for May in London and the South East. We had plenty of days like that in June 2020, which made it a poor summer month, despite the hot weather during the first two days, and last few days of the month. The cold folk almost always seem to ignore the longer cooler spells, while we get a 2-3 day hot spell, and the newsflash is 'this heat is killing me'. lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold
15 hours ago, Daniel* said:

I don't live in London though and yes maybe average temperature in May is 18-20c but that's still cool imo just thinking about it makes me want to keep two layers on and sounds depressing.

Posted
28 minutes ago, Atmogenic said:

I don't live in London though and yes maybe average temperature in May is 18-20c but that's still cool imo just thinking about it makes me want to keep two layers on and sounds depressing.

You’re saying Ashford is warmer than London? Give over. Not at all cool in this country in middle of summer were you born in Saudi Arabia? 

Posted
33 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

18c is cold for May in London and the South East. We had plenty of days like that in June 2020, which made it a poor summer month, despite the hot weather during the first two days, and last few days of the month. The cold folk almost always seem to ignore the longer cooler spells, while we get a 2-3 day hot spell, and the newsflash is 'this heat is killing me'. lol

No it really isn’t, average May maximum in London (Greenwich) is 18.1C. Sunny you find 22-23C cool you aren’t best representation of an average person. Even a cool summer in London is warm enough. You can get the odd very cool day June 2019 had one particularly cool day max of 12C with pouring rain, but days like that are extremely infrequent. Last June actually to me that was best month of summer, only 9 days didn’t reach 20C here generally it was very pleasant we also had that 4 day heatwave 22-26th. Heathrow had 3 30C+ days.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow
On 17/02/2021 at 13:54, MATTWOLVES said:

People keep saying its a once in a 50 year event,or once in a 100 year event!! How do you actually know that's the case until 100 years have passed! OK 47 and 63 have been the best part of a generation now.. but we don't know thats the case with events like 2010 or 2013 yet. Greater extremes around the globe could bring us just about anything at anytime...and neither you nor me knows for sure how the conditions will pan out for the next several weeks...if we did we would stop following the charts and posting on here because at the end of the day...there would simply be know point! Just because we are entering March does not rule out significant cold,neither does it guarantee it...I've never ever used 47 or 63 as any kind of benchmark for our Winters...I've pointed out March 2013 for the simple reason its just as likely to turn out cold as mild. I don't think for one moment it will be equalled or surpassed this year,but it still serves as a timely reminder we can get significant cold in this month...The main reason I've pointing this out is due to the battering the strat as taken since January,and the fact we had a 3rd warming in early Feb...which could increase the cold outbreak risk in early March...just like the early Jan event brought much colder conditions 4 weeks later. It may not pan out that way for obvious reasons,but there's still a chance it does.

I totally agree with what you are saying about a one in a 50 year event or a 1 in a 100 year event.  People might nowadays talk about an annual CET of under 9C being a rare event but the statistical fact is that, while 2010 was the first such year in 23 attempts and we have gone 10 years without one since, at other times they have come in clusters after a long wait.  For example 1956 ended a run of 33 years waiting for one, when the longest waiting time over 300 previous years was 14.  But after 1956 we got 1962,1963 and 1965!  Then after that we got 1979, 1985 and 1986.

So I know just because we have waited so long for something, doesn't mean we can't get it again.  the reason I alluded to 1947 and to March 2013 is because they are so often used to promote the possibility.  I was a great one for using 1947 to encourage hope that a rubbish December and first half of January could evolve into  the winter of our dreams. But then I realised that  1947 was preceded by cold easterly spells in December and January.  So the Beast had been exercising its muscle before really showing off its strength and dominating.  I've come to the conclusion that winters completely dominated by weather from the west  in their early stages are not likely to be dominated in the later stages by a cold easterly that has barely dipped its toe in the water previously.  Sure it might come out to exercise, but it won't have acquired the strength to dominate.  

I both loved and marvelled at March 2013.  I would not have believed that snow could possibly fall in the first part of March that stayed around beyond the end of the month until that year.  It blew my mind!  So I began hoping it would happen every year and rescue us from some pretty miserable winters we had endured.  But there's no doubt it is an exceptional circumstance that  we were lucky enough to see in our lifetimes. You could also say unique  as we are now living in a period where, for the first time ever, people in the UK can look back over the last ten years and say the coldest month in all that time has been a March. Not a December, a January, or a February, but a March!  And remember that it was a March that had seen parts of the country reach 17C in its early days!  But now, when I look back, I remember that it preceded by those "exercises of the muscle" in the January where we did end up enjoying some great winter weather (a bit later than "THAT ECM" told us there would be some!) and in a February that was the coldest of the previous 17 years.

So, in my opinion and that's all it is, while it's absolutely fair to point out the likes of winter 1947 and March 2013 can happen again (and they surely will at some point), I no longer myself see them convincing as arguments to have hope for the future, unless there has already been a sufficient laying of a foundation.  I think for this winter there has been some foundation built, but not anywhere near enough to sustain a period of a few days cold during next month (and possibly over Easter as well), certainly not anything like the modern marvel that was March 2013.  

• Like 1

Posted

Re this part of your post

likes of winter 1947 and March 2013 can happen again (and they surely will at some point),

You are comparing one month with 1947 that was mid January to early March, so just by its length let alone its severity it is less likely to occur,in my view.

Also to pick up on the two posts that mention 50 and 100 year returns. Forecast centres are required to offer these statistics for large companies, involved with very large construction undertakings or flood defences for example. This then allows them to plan to a degree. Yes they are wrong at times but this sort of data is required. When given there are always caveats added regarding our changing climate and the possible effects this may have. One, many years ago, I was involved with was showing the number of consecutive wet working days in various cities in the UK. These were needed by the building industry to enable them to suggest time scales when large contracts were offered. 

• Like 4

Posted
Just now, Azazel said:

I absolutely find 18 degrees in summer cool and 20 degrees I would describe as disappointing. 

In that case you have very little understanding of what’s normal in a British summer even in south of England. Average high temps in July are 20-23C, in parts of country further north it’s high teens at best 17-19C good thing you live in Hampshire. 

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

In that case you have very little understanding of what’s normal in a British summer even in south of England. Average high temps in July are 20-23C, in parts of country further north it’s high teens at best 17-19C good thing you live in Hampshire. 

Is there fundamentally anything wrong with saying ‘I personally find 20 degrees at the height of summer disappointing?’ 

it’s similar to a fan of cold weather saying ‘I find 8 degrees at the height of winter disappointing.’

Do you see what I’m saying?

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Is there fundamentally anything wrong with saying ‘I personally find 20 degrees at the height of summer disappointing?’ 

it’s similar to a fan of cold weather saying ‘I find 8 degrees at the height of winter disappointing.’

Do you see what I’m saying?

Just perhaps unrealistic expectations to me 20C and sun is plenty warm enough even though in London in July you could label that as cool days like that are welcome by me, the summer is warm. It quickly becomes very exhausting with prolonged very warm/hot weather.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall

It's worth remembering that forecast temps are shade temps so 20c in the shade can easily be a 25-27c day in the sun. Whilst I love sunshine, having worked outside all my life I still find hot and humid my most disliked kind of weather.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow
39 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

Re this part of your post

likes of winter 1947 and March 2013 can happen again (and they surely will at some point),

You are comparing one month with 1947 that was mid January to early March, so just by its length let alone its severity it is less likely to occur,in my view.

Also to pick up on the two posts that mention 50 and 100 year returns. Forecast centres are required to offer these statistics for large companies, involved with very large construction undertakings or flood defences for example. This then allows them to plan to a degree. Yes they are wrong at times but this sort of data is required. When given there are always caveats added regarding our changing climate and the possible effects this may have. One, many years ago, I was involved with was showing the number of consecutive wet working days in various cities in the UK. These were needed by the building industry to enable them to suggest time scales when large contracts were offered. 

Hi John

I think the second part of your quote in italics is actually the first part of your response but it had me a bit confused at first!!!

Not trying to compare winter 1947 with March 2013, but use them as examples of how people have hopes of things developing.....so for example I'm sure many were hoping the recent cold spell would develop into another 1947....ie a winter that came late but stayed around until well into March.  Now that, for the most part (or maybe the most people) winter has been fairly disappointing for those who love prolonged bouts of cold and snow, March 2013 is put forward as an example of the kind of month we can get when the "real Winter" months have been disappointing.   My point is that both will happen again  (essentially 1947 did in 62/63 with an earlier start) but maybe not for another generation.  

I completely get what you say about the returns. More than most, these are the kind of statistics an insurance company will use to try an ensure it charges enough premium over the number of years it will appear to have made a profit, to cover the occasional year when it has to pay out on everything! 

Posted
59 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Just perhaps unrealistic expectations to me 20C and sun is plenty warm enough even though in London in July you could label that as cool days like that are welcome by me, the summer is warm. It quickly becomes very exhausting with prolonged very warm/hot weather.

This is my point though - for YOU it is plenty warm enough. I personally prefer it a little warmer. For YOU it quickly becomes exhausting etc.

I don’t go down to the south of France on holiday for moderately warm temperatures of 20 degrees. 

My expectations for a U.K. summer are very very low - I understand perfectly what climate we have thank you very much.

Posted
12 minutes ago, Azazel said:

This is my point though - for YOU it is plenty warm enough. I personally prefer it a little warmer. For YOU it quickly becomes exhausting etc.

I don’t go down to the south of France on holiday for moderately warm temperatures of 20 degrees. 

My expectations for a U.K. summer are very very low - I understand perfectly what climate we have thank you very much.

What are you an Eskimo? The south of England doesn’t experience a U.K. summer you can’t lump 4 corners of country together the summers they experience in Scotland, are very different to down here, as a child during summer we would frequently stay in Hampshire I know what your summers are like and they’re good. Your expectations are far too high when normal is actually pretty decent. We have plenty of months of good useable weather. 

• Like 2

Posted
3 hours ago, Daniel* said:

What are you an Eskimo? The south of England doesn’t experience a U.K. summer you can’t lump 4 corners of country together the summers they experience in Scotland, are very different to down here, as a child during summer we would frequently stay in Hampshire I know what your summers are like and they’re good. Your expectations are far too high when normal is actually pretty decent. We have plenty of months of good useable weather. 

Lmao ok - I will completely change my weather preferences because you don’t agree with them

Hi my name is Azazel and I like cool weather now because Daniel* said so.

Jesus Christ. 

Edited by Azazel
  • Like 1