Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2020/21 chat, ramps, moans and banter

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers

If you want some proper snow not the flakes we got last week then you need to go to Greece this week, but don’t worry you don’t need to go into the mountains it’s snowing on the beaches.

The normally snow free Island of Corfu is blanketed in snow for the second winter running something that is normally  a one in fifty year event.

However Corfu Town has seen more snow than central London in the past 2 years despite having an average number of lying snow days of 0.01%

You couldn’t make it up

Andy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Frost Sun

The high temperatures that's been showing last few days have been diluted to just mild weather now with more of an Atlantic influence going on latest runs. 

The usual yuk stuff we're more use too. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Athens last night.

C.S

facebook_1613468932410_6767379197083317077.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
51 minutes ago, Penrith Snow said:

If you want some proper snow not the flakes we got last week then you need to go to Greece this week, but don’t worry you don’t need to go into the mountains it’s snowing on the beaches.

The normally snow free Island of Corfu is blanketed in snow for the second winter running something that is normally  a one in fifty year event.

However Corfu Town has seen more snow than central London in the past 2 years despite having an average number of lying snow days of 0.01%

You couldn’t make it up

Andy

Your post could be reduced to ‘if you want some proper snow go somewhere that isn’t England during winter’ 

• Like 1

Posted

Surely global warming has ruined the chances of lowland snow of even 6inches plus to 100-1 shots at best ,

is this the reason we don’t get widespread deep snow events anymore ? 

will this years relatively good recovery of Arctic sea ice and snow cover potentially help next winter if we can get easterly or northerly winds ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Blizzards, Hoarfrost, Frost and Extremes

Have the Americans stolen our chunk of the Polar Vortex? Quite exceptional conditions over there and not in the usual states. Must be great living over there, knowing that every winter you are pretty much guarunteed at least one winter storm 

Still not seen one proper flake of snow this winter. Hope to heading back north once the lockdown is eased so if we get any cold in March that might be my ony chance this winter 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms
15 minutes ago, topo said:

Big snow event in Athens right now.. This is a suburb at 300m elevation http://www.livecameras.gr/up/kifisia.php

Back to 14c though especially in the City by Thursday 

C.S

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Blizzards, Hoarfrost, Frost and Extremes
1 hour ago, topo said:

Big snow event in Athens right now.. This is a suburb at 300m elevation http://www.livecameras.gr/up/kifisia.php

It comes to something when Athens and Madrid have more snow than you in a winter, talk about rubbing 'salt' into the wounds! 

• Like 2

Posted
16 minutes ago, Weather of Mass Disruption said:

It comes to something when Athens and Madrid have more snow than you in a winter, talk about rubbing 'salt' into the wounds! 

And they will have a better summer.

Posted

Looks like the US is having a record breaking cold spell. Look at those anomalies in Texas... Even though it is in Fahrenheit surely that must be historic for them

2mtemp_anom_20210215_12_006.thumb.jpg.c1077f7606836080b0df1d5a70f69a85.jpg

Edited by Frigid
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I've had to temporarily withdraw from the mod thread; I accidentally ate some daffodil bulbs and have been taken to hospital... My doctor tells me I'll be coming out in the Spring!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, cold snowy winters, thunderstorms

Well I must say that I am already missing the cold spell. It looks like some places will see flooding soon in my area.  Not what we want to see. Today marks the anniversary of when Wales saw severe flooding along the River Taff in Pontypridd after Storm Dennis a year ago. I sincerely hope this weekends rain does not bring back these scenes. 

0_THP_MDG_160220Slug_15625JPG.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold
3 hours ago, cheshire snow said:

image.png.92007705e9a7418aee14e9a6a089107c.png

FB_IMG_1613478812994.jpg

These two images sums up cold lovers 

Posted
9 hours ago, Weather of Mass Disruption said:

True but at least it shows if those cities much further south than us can still get lots of snow, it's only a matter of time before the UK gets a countrywide snowy winter!

Referring to an earlier comment I feel like people think we're overdue a wet and dull summer just because we've had hot days over the last few years but as was mentioned, a month now can have 28 dull days and 3 hot days and people will see it as a warm month. Summer 2019 and 2020 were average to poor summers with a few hot days. They were somewhere in between 2007 and 2018 in my opinion. I think based on this and the way our climate is changing we're equally due another prolonged warm summer. We had none from 2006 to 2018 really (apart from a 2013 heatwave) but duller summers have been quite common in the past 15 years. Here's hoping to warmer weather this summer anyways, felt like we missed out last summer with covid. Anyone else got any opinions?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
14 hours ago, nobble said:

Surely global warming has ruined the chances of lowland snow of even 6inches plus to 100-1 shots at best ,

is this the reason we don’t get widespread deep snow events anymore ? 

will this years relatively good recovery of Arctic sea ice and snow cover potentially help next winter if we can get easterly or northerly winds ?

Given we had a good 8-9 inches in March 2018, I’m going to say no. Certainly the frequency and severity of snowfall has decreased and will continue to do so as temperatures increase, but I think the chances of getting 6+ inches here is a little better than 100-1. Maybe that’s true for lowland southern counties though - places like Dover got around 9cm this month which was their best snowfall since 2010, but that wouldn’t even be Leeds’ best snowfall this year.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!

Lovely day in E Yorkshire today, warm in the sun, got a bit of gardening done, we had snow last week but the warmth of today was a welcome change tbh!

Posted
7 hours ago, cheese said:

Given we had a good 8-9 inches in March 2018, I’m going to say no. Certainly the frequency and severity of snowfall has decreased and will continue to do so as temperatures increase, but I think the chances of getting 6+ inches here is a little better than 100-1. Maybe that’s true for lowland southern counties though - places like Dover got around 9cm this month which was their best snowfall since 2010, but that wouldn’t even be Leeds’ best snowfall this year.

As a snow lover I hope your right 

falling snow days in my local Is over 25 for this winter , 

2 x events of 2-3 inches  1 x almost 5 inches 

numerous coverings some decent .

?? For more

Posted
10 hours ago, mcfcson said:

Referring to an earlier comment I feel like people think we're overdue a wet and dull summer just because we've had hot days over the last few years but as was mentioned, a month now can have 28 dull days and 3 hot days and people will see it as a warm month. Summer 2019 and 2020 were average to poor summers with a few hot days. They were somewhere in between 2007 and 2018 in my opinion. I think based on this and the way our climate is changing we're equally due another prolonged warm summer. We had none from 2006 to 2018 really (apart from a 2013 heatwave) but duller summers have been quite common in the past 15 years. Here's hoping to warmer weather this summer anyways, felt like we missed out last summer with covid. Anyone else got any opinions?

June and July 2020 both had hot days, but June only had two at the start of June, which was the end of the long warm sunny spell since April, although May 2020 was when the warmer weather really kicked in. The early April to early June sunny spell was the best period for weather, then we had a few weeks of poorer weather until the last week of June, heatwave lasted for a few days. 30-32c was reached, then we had to wait until the last day of July to get the heat back.

It turned very hot from the last day of July, and the first two weeks of August were hot and sunny, with thundery periods and quite a few thunderstorms  on and off. The rest of August was cooler and cloudy.

On the whole 2020 seemed like a better summer compared to 2019, but in the main it was on the poor side.

• Like 3