Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2020/21 chat, ramps, moans and banter

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool, cold, snow and blizzards.

Back to the usual mild weather then after a decent winter.  Personally, I hope it rains all summer.  I hate the heat and sun.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
9 minutes ago, MATTWOLVES said:

The last really warm Feb spell of 2019 was possibly the outcome of a major SSW that occurred in January! We have developing warmth in places where it wouldn't really be expected,and developing cold in areas that may not necessarily expect it...ie Greece...you say this would never have happened 50 years ago..go back to the archives,there have been plenty of warm spells at various times...not all Winters were frigid...far from it...infact go back to the period 900-1300ad and you will find the period was even warmer than we have today..So many variables at play with our climate. The big question now is will March roar in like a lion or in with a whimper.

Yes Matt, I have been thinking along similar lines... Could it be the timing of the SSWs, somehow working in concert with all those very warm T850s that have occurred (down around North Africa and The Med) these past few winters?

Edited by General Cluster
  • Like 3

Posted
23 minutes ago, Stravaiger said:

I’m with Don...completely understand the variability we can be prone to at this time of year, but the parameters have shifted in favour of warmth.

You would never expect to get temperatures above 22C in the UK in February, it wouldn’t really have been considered climatically possible 50 years ago.

It relies on exceptional, anomalous warmth being there to our south for unusual post-SSW Synoptics to draw north.

I’d check the weather history before claiming what was o want possible 50 years ago

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
11 minutes ago, Simon M said:

Back to the usual mild weather then after a decent winter.  Personally, I hope it rains all summer.  I hate the heat and sun.

I want a long hot summer after the 'nothing' winter here, it barely rains here in summer anyway.

• Like 1

Posted
43 minutes ago, MATTWOLVES said:

Not really my good man Don..The atmosphere is a chaotic beast and these extremes will crop up now and then. The good folks of Greece are probably looking at there set up of really cold and wandering exactly what we are wondering right now! What on earth is going on with the weather. In all honesty its perfectly plausible for these extremes to occur after a major SSW for many weeks later..so it would come as no surprise if we were to see a return to Winter after this potentially very mild spell...whatever your preference folks enjoy it.

Hi Matt.  Whilst I think you make a good point regarding SSW's contributing to temperature extremes, I still feel anything over 20C in the UK during February is far too extreme for comfort.

• Like 3

Posted
42 minutes ago, Simon M said:

I like it. In actual Spring and Summer. Not now. Besides any warm sunshine we have now doesn't necessarily translate to the same come the late Spring and Summer months. Often not. Think back to 2012 when we had a warm and sunny March, only to be followed by a cool wet Summer. The extremely cold March's of 2013 and 18 on the other hand were followed by nice Summers.

Besides I like Winters to be wintry, which is why I found some of the eagerness for the cold spell just gone to end from coldies even, just because there wasn't loads of snow a bit strange. Of course that would of been preferable but at least I could look out my window and see a bit of snow. It was properly cold too, which I feel we were lucky to get (considering most Winters these days) with frozen canals, icicles and frozen soil which stopped it been muddy. At least it felt like proper Winter and even if that particular spell wasn't particularly snowy, at least we had the late December to early January and late January snowy spells round these parts go make up for it. 

Oh well March could still deliver. It's already done well as a non Winter month twice this past decade after all.

Edited by Walsall Wood Snow
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Walsall Wood Snow said:

Although not extreme, wasn't the very mild temps in late Feb 19 followed by chilly temps in early Spring. Early April seemed quite cool from memory, though it was quite sunny too.

May and June were also quite cool. I can vividly remember how the max temp in February was higher than in May. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
26 minutes ago, Walsall Wood Snow said:

I like it. In actual Spring and Summer. Not now. Besides any warm sunshine we have now doesn't necessarily translate to the same come the late Spring and Summer months. Often not. Think back to 2012 when we had a warm and sunny March, only to be followed by a cool wet Summer. The extremely cold March's of 2013 and 18 on the other hand were followed by nice Summers.

Besides I like Winters to be wintry, which is why I found some of the eagerness for the cold spell just gone to end from coldies even, just because there wasn't loads of snow a bit strange. Of course that would of been preferable but at least I could look out my window and see a bit of snow. It was properly cold too, which I feel we were lucky to get (considering most Winters these days) with frozen canals, icicles and frozen soil which stopped it been muddy. At least it felt like proper Winter and even if that particular spell wasn't particularly snowy, at least we had the late December to early January and late January snowy spells round these parts go make up for it. 

Oh well March could still deliver. It's already done well as a non Winter month twice this past decade after all.

Here in the Pennines i always concider March a Winter month and most of the 80s that certainly was the case as well as the likes of 1996,2001,2006,2013 and 2018

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

On the contrary. This morning is 9 degrees and sunny and miles better than minus 5 and sunny.Most people would prefer that I imagine.

Some people never complain about heat in summer.And I  never complain about dry cold in winter as those exceptional SELY winds 3 days in a row,wet cold on the other hand yes.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

I just like well defined seasons. Definitely get this in Prague, compared to London 

• Like 3

Posted
4 hours ago, SLEETY said:

Minus 5 and sunny is miles better than 9 degrees and wind and rain crud we now have. How can you possibly prefer this type of crud weather is beyond me and most people I would imagine! 

Its the first proper mild day here today ,  and its been sunny and bright with it,   12 c  lovely ! 

l

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, MATTWOLVES said:

@Don you say its a concern regarding 20c being breached in February,when you have warm air situated to the South like we have had all Winter,its going to be a good possibility that we become very warm if we tap into a Stly or SWtly flow. The big question being is it warmer than normal in those tropical regions...the answer for me being probably yes!

True but the fact the air is so warm to the south is a concern and a likely result of our warming world.  It's only a matter of time before 40C is breached in the UK and I would say within 10 years, maybe even 5?!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 hour ago, Don said:

True but the fact the air is so warm to the south is a concern and a likely result of our warming world.  It's only a matter of time before 40C is breached in the UK and I would say within 10 years, maybe even 5?!

While climate change is worrying, I don’t think 40°C will be breached for a long time in the UK. The record is 38.5°C, so that’s a whole 1.5°C increase which is extremely difficult to attain at that extreme. We might see slightly more frequent ‘heat spikes’ but these nearly always seem to last just a very brief time (sometimes just a few hours). 

• Like 1

Posted

Amazing winter storm in Texas at the moment, the worst since 1989. My brother lives in Austin and he’s reporting over 20cm of snowfall. He’s still without tv or internet but the power has come back on now. Much of the state is without power, apparently. That’s a pretty big area. Currently -6°C there.

6B75057A-A8AD-4192-84B0-9E56BF8E47CE.jpeg

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 hour ago, Don said:

Today could be the first day of Spring, certainly been warm today, February is over rated as a winter month, and 20 degrees is possible next week, that would not happen Dec and Jan

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
23 hours ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Why would I be on a wind up? I hate cold weather and just glad it's going. 

As a weather enthusiast, I have enjoyed the recent cold spell and I get excited whenever a new record is about to be broken (eg; coldest temp in UK for 25 years). 

But on a more personal note, I can understand why people don't like freezing cold weather particularly if it goes on for a while. In winter, I generally like daytime temps to be around 4-10 Celsius with some exciting weather mixed in.. eg; a good storm. 

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
On 12/02/2021 at 17:52, Simon M said:

So winter's more-or-less over then?  I suppose it was inevitable, since as soon as the damned Atlantic gets revved-up it's pretty much impossible to stop.  If that's the case I hope it stays in charge right the way through spring and summer -  if there's one thing I hate more than mild winters it's hot summers.

I wouldn't give up on the weather just yet. We are only in mid February and the weather doesn't really properly settle down until May. Many a time I have thought that we are done with winter weather for the year, but it later came back with a vengeance. It isn't unusual for March to end up being colder than December.

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, Don said:

Brilliant.  It's not really a proper summers day unless it reaches 28c in my book. Hot humid. Still about 24c at 10pm. That is a real summer and if 40c is on the way even better. I'll go and stock up on shorts in anticipation !

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Polar lows are the dream
7 hours ago, MATTWOLVES said:

The last really warm Feb spell of 2019 was possibly the outcome of a major SSW that occurred in January! We have developing warmth in places where it wouldn't really be expected,and developing cold in areas that may not necessarily expect it...ie Greece...you say this would never have happened 50 years ago..go back to the archives,there have been plenty of warm spells at various times...not all Winters were frigid...far from it...infact go back to the period 900-1300ad and you will find the period was even warmer than we have today..So many variables at play with our climate. The big question now is will March roar in like a lion or in with a whimper.

That’s just it - go back to the archives and show me any year pre-2019 where the UK gets >20C temps in Feb.

As I said, I totally understand SSW’s deliver anomalous warmth and cold, but the degree of anomalous warmth is what is increasing. Hence we set a Feb record in 2019, and if these runs had verified could have set another one this year.

In a warming world, post-SSW synoptics now have a greater chance of delivering >20C temps to the UK in winter than they did before. That’s all I’m saying.

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

While climate change is worrying, I don’t think 40°C will be breached for a long time in the UK. The record is 38.5°C, so that’s a whole 1.5°C increase which is extremely difficult to attain at that extreme. We might see slightly more frequent ‘heat spikes’ but these nearly always seem to last just a very brief time (sometimes just a few hours). 

Well, we had the hottest temperature on record at 38.7C in Cambridge during July 2019 and the third hottest temperature in August last year.  What really concerns me though, is last summer was pretty mediocre overall and we still easily achieved temps in the upper 30's literally overnight!  In the past, getting exceptional temps would have had to have followed a prolonged warm dry period.  Now we are looking at temps possibly exceeding 20C next week and this does not sit comfortably with me!

Edited by Don

Posted
10 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Brilliant.  It's not really a proper summers day unless it reaches 28c in my book. Hot humid. Still about 24c at 10pm. That is a real summer and if 40c is on the way even better. I'll go and stock up on shorts in anticipation !

Well, each to their own but I'm seriously considering to cooler climes which is thankfully easier these days working remotely!

Edited by Don
  • Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

I will never understand how people can enjoy heatwaves in this country, maybe if you had A.C it would be tolerable but the vast majority don't. UK houses retain heat so in the peak of summer during a 30c day it's unbearable, especially at night. A 20 - 25c summer day is pleasant, how it should be in this country.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Frigid said:

I will never understand how people can enjoy heatwaves in this country, maybe if you had A.C it would be tolerable but the vast majority don't. UK houses retain heat so in the peak of summer during a 30c day it's unbearable, especially at night. A 20 - 25c summer day is pleasant, how it should be in this country.

100% agree.  It's not that I dislike summer, just anything above 30C is uncomfortable, particularly at night!

• Like 5

Posted
2 minutes ago, Don said:

100% agree.  It's not that I dislike summer, just anything above 30C is uncomfortable, particularly at night!

Well as you can see by my posts earlier I hate intense cold with a passion. For me heat and humidity is brilliant.  Love it. Just a shame in UK we never get any ( probably about 12 days last summer in Dudley) . Each to their own ! Stay safe.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1