Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2020/21 chat, ramps, moans and banter

Paul

Posted
5 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

but it isn't going, we're not flicking a switch to summer! (wish we were) going to be miserable, windy and around 9 degrees most days, why would anyone want that

Precisely mate. I've yet to meet someone who loves boggy walks in lashing rain and wind over a crisp sunny walk in sunshine in -3c but hey there are a few out there I guess. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

I agree, I usually hate mild but it's been mostly cold here all winter and there's been no snow to show for it, wasted. So I'm looking forward to this 'warm up', even if it does rain.

• Like 3

Posted
9 hours ago, snowspotter said:

Precisely mate. I've yet to meet someone who loves boggy walks in lashing rain and wind over a crisp sunny walk in sunshine in -3c but hey there are a few out there I guess. 

The period just gone wasn’t crisp and sunny though - it was grey with a brisk/strong wind from the east which made it feel horrendous.

Give me mild and wet over that any day. At least I can turn the heating back down. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

There was a north-south split as well as east-west split during the easterly spell just gone.  From Lincolnshire northwards many areas had sunshine and snow showers in the east, mainly dry and sunny in the west, which gave opportunities for going out for a walk in crisp, sunny and, for some, snowy scenes.  But further south it was mostly overcast as the easterlies brought in either frontal cloud or stratocumulus trapped underneath a cap on convection, associated with higher heights/lower thicknesses.  I did get a bit of lying snow in Exeter on the Thursday, though it was just a sugar coating apart from beside the roadside where it had drifted.  I did manage to make three snowballs and throw one of them at my window.  I didn't feel "cheated" so much after that - in Exeter any lying snow is generally a bonus unless you've got a channel low running into continental air.

I'm appreciating not having to put the heating on and having warmer rooms but can't say that the short-term outlook particularly thrills me.  Some of the charts that are appearing from T+168 onwards are another matter - admittedly they have a "NW-SE split" look to them a la February 1998 so it would probably be grey and damp in north-western Britain, but down here in the south and also over much of eastern Britain it would probably be sunny as well as mild, giving good conditions for getting out and about more.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
  • Like 2

Posted
13 hours ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

9 degrees and windy is brilliant compared to minus 5 and windy and freezing death.  If you like that great. I don't. 

Minus 5 and sunny is miles better than 9 degrees and wind and rain crud we now have. How can you possibly prefer this type of crud weather is beyond me and most people I would imagine! 

Posted
8 hours ago, spayne said:

I’d be worried if that was for this Wednesday, no wait, it’s 10 days away.!! If that was showing BFTE 3 (at the same time span) we’d be dismissing it as FI...

No one said they were worried, just that it's a shocking chart whilst we are still in winter.

• Like 3

Posted
3 hours ago, mb018538 said:

From Saturday onwards, you could see a 5 day run of temperatures in the 15-19c range in some parts. Pretty exceptional.....except in the modern climate, it doesn't really feel that way. Just another day at the office it seems.

Trouble is that's late spring/early summer territory!  I for one find that concerning, a stark reminder of climate change and not exciting in the slightest.

Edited by Don
  • Like 5

Posted
1 hour ago, Tim Bland said:

I wouldn’t worry about that. Ground temps are the product of months of weather not days. A few mild days won’t increase the soil temp much. More of a worry is the sun strength. It takes something very special to get a proper snowy spell in March and any snow thaws quickly if the sun comes out ..

Indeed, the 'mini' BFTE in 2018 was preceded my temps in the mid teens but there was no issue with settling snow.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold

Not sure why people are saying its bad outside, sure its overcast and damp but all that rain and wind came overnight where most people on here was likely in their house being cosy and warm. Sure the day could be better with no clouds and it being dry, but its much better then it being icy and having a terrible icy wind blowing in your face where u have to wear a robber's mask to keep it warm. 

Edited by Atmogenic
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
2 hours ago, Tim Bland said:

I wouldn’t worry about that. Ground temps are the product of months of weather not days. A few mild days won’t increase the soil temp much.

I think that depends on where you are.

Just 3 days ago, the soil here at 5cm down was 1°C. At 10cm it was 2°C.  They're now both at 7°C.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Jon Snow said:

Yeah Ed, I mean Pete..there’s solid support from the latest models for a very mild spell on the way, well, it already is mild but you know what I mean..

It’s bound to come off too.  One thing you can rely on these days is exceptional warmth!  I don’t expect anything different with this evening’s runs....

• Like 6

Posted
22 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

Aye Karl, it'd be warm alright.. Projected uppers of around 12C would be 3 or 4c higher than during the 2019 heat-spike. I think!

If that’s the case, surely a 23/24C is not out of the question?!  Seriously if that comes of it will certainly be alarm bells!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: None - UK weather is always exciting at some point
2 hours ago, MJB said:

The warmth won't last too long looking at the GFS6z 

Your the only one who has said this, I read this morning that’s there is going to be ‘countrywide snow’ for the 27th February. That includes all of Cornwall.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and Sunny. I hate being cold.
1 hour ago, SLEETY said:

Minus 5 and sunny is miles better than 9 degrees and wind and rain crud we now have. How can you possibly prefer this type of crud weather is beyond me and most people I would imagine! 

I much prefer mild weather to minus 5, thanks very much. Fewer deaths from hypothermia, fewer people in hospital from falls, no more Covid 19 vaccination clinics snowbound and cancelled, plus we'll be able to drive to a family funeral on Thursday now  without worrying about black ice or snow-bound roads.

Old people used to say to me that cold weather was "seasonable" and would "kill all the bugs" somehow thinking it was better for them.  I'd reply that it might be seasonable, but it didn't kill bugs, only people.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, SLEETY said:

On the contrary. This morning is 9 degrees and sunny and miles better than minus 5 and sunny.Most people would prefer that I imagine.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and Sunny. I hate being cold.
1 hour ago, Thundery wintry showers said:

There was a north-south split as well as east-west split during the easterly spell just gone.  From Lincolnshire northwards many areas had sunshine and snow showers in the east, mainly dry and sunny in the west, which gave opportunities for going out for a walk in crisp, sunny and, for some, snowy scenes.  But further south it was mostly overcast as the easterlies brought in either frontal cloud or stratocumulus trapped underneath a cap on convection, associated with higher heights/lower thicknesses.  I did get a bit of lying snow in Exeter on the Thursday, though it was just a sugar coating apart from beside the roadside where it had drifted.  I did manage to make three snowballs and throw one of them at my window.  I didn't feel "cheated" so much after that - in Exeter any lying snow is generally a bonus unless you've got a channel low running into continental air.

We went down to Dart's Farm on Thursday. No snow but overcast and the wind chill was intense. Horrible.

Edited by Racer
grammar

Posted
Just now, damianslaw said:

All indicative of the fact the atmosphere is in a rather abnormal state, extremes of cold and mild tend to only happen when this is the case especially in winter. What goes up must come down.. don't be surprised if the upcoming very mild spell is followed swiftly be something much colder again.. think of the spring switcharound that happen in the space of 3 days, arctic northerlies become warm southerners and vice versa, all about the dynamics between warm air advection and cold air advection.

In 2009 after the cold broke abruptly in mid-February the second half was very mild and there were no further cold outbreaks in the early spring that year.  In 2012 the cold spell also broke abruptly in mid-February and saw a very mild second half and the March of that year was also very warm.  That said it did get more wintry in the first week of April 2012.

• Like 2

Posted

Although not extreme, wasn't the very mild temps in late Feb 19 followed by chilly temps in early Spring. Early April seemed quite cool from memory, though it was quite sunny too.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
54 minutes ago, Don said:

If that’s the case, surely a 23/24C is not out of the question?!  Seriously if that comes of it will certainly be alarm bells!

Not really my good man Don..The atmosphere is a chaotic beast and these extremes will crop up now and then. The good folks of Greece are probably looking at there set up of really cold and wandering exactly what we are wondering right now! What on earth is going on with the weather. In all honesty its perfectly plausible for these extremes to occur after a major SSW for many weeks later..so it would come as no surprise if we were to see a return to Winter after this potentially very mild spell...whatever your preference folks enjoy it.

Edited by MATTWOLVES
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Polar lows are the dream
7 minutes ago, MATTWOLVES said:

Not really my good man Don..The atmosphere is a chaotic beast and these extremes will crop up now and then. The good folks of Greece are probably looking at there set up of really cold and wandering exactly what we are wondering right now! What on earth is going on with the weather. In all honesty its perfectly plausible for these extremes to occur after a major SSW for many weeks later..so it would come as no surprise if we were to see a return to Winter after this potentially very mild spell...whatever your preference folks enjoy it.

I’m with Don...completely understand the variability we can be prone to at this time of year, but the parameters have shifted in favour of warmth.

You would never expect to get temperatures above 22C in the UK in February, it wouldn’t really have been considered climatically possible 50 years ago.

It relies on exceptional, anomalous warmth being there to our south for unusual post-SSW Synoptics to draw north.

• Like 4

Posted
12 minutes ago, Walsall Wood Snow said:

Although not extreme, wasn't the very mild temps in late Feb 19 followed by chilly temps in early Spring. Early April seemed quite cool from memory, though it was quite sunny too.

Not to mention a pretty wet summer followed. As NEB highlighted also with Feb's 2009 and 2012. 

That's Summer over then.

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Stravaiger said:

I’m with Don...completely understand the variability we can be prone to at this time of year, but the parameters have shifted in favour of warmth.

You would never expect to get temperatures above 22C in the UK in February, it wouldn’t really have been considered climatically possible 50 years ago.

It relies on exceptional, anomalous warmth being there to our south for unusual post-SSW Synoptics to draw north.

Well yes, we may be slightly more prone to huge temperature (and other) variations, than a few decades ago. But in both directions, not just warm - plus, don't forget how much accurate recording of temperature and other variables has increased steadily over the last 150 years+.

February temperature in excess of 20deg is no indicator we're suddenly heading towards a non-temperate climate.

Large parts of the USA have had such temperature variations and bigger for years, including coastal locations like New York.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
5 minutes ago, Stravaiger said:

The last really warm Feb spell of 2019 was possibly the outcome of a major SSW that occurred in January! We have developing warmth in places where it wouldn't really be expected,and developing cold in areas that may not necessarily expect it...ie Greece...you say this would never have happened 50 years ago..go back to the archives,there have been plenty of warm spells at various times...not all Winters were frigid...far from it...infact go back to the period 900-1300ad and you will find the period was even warmer than we have today..So many variables at play with our climate. The big question now is will March roar in like a lion or in with a whimper.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1