Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2020/21 chat, ramps, moans and banter

Paul

Posted
1 minute ago, prolongedSnowLover said:

Only got dreadful wet and windy weather to look forward to now ?‍♂️

True enough.

Its been frigid here, but utterly snowless, grey and boring. I can’t be dealing with the horrendous wind chill anymore with no snow whatsoever to show for it.

My hands will appreciate the milder weather.

• Like 3

Posted
55 minutes ago, tinybill said:

i  know its  a  long way off and its fantasy land could go back in the frezzer

gfs-2-324.png

That’s rain

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

It was still bloody cold here in South Glos in the wind at 5am this morning. Temperatures now on the up and staying up for the foreseeable. I have a feeling though that winter is not quite done with us. I'm going for a very cold and snowy spell at the very end of Feb start of March. 

I'm certainly no expert, just an optimist with a hunch. In what has been a relatively cold but relatively snowless winter here in the west country, one last cold blast and I'll be happy to see spring.

Edited by John88B

Posted

Hopefully back in freezer,if gfs is correct,just hope we get some snow this time here to go along time  with the frozen ponds and icicles I have seen this week.February,such a joke of a winter month is has become in recent decades,that cant remember last really cold February we had in UK.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

Oh goody, back to wind and rain, I can scarcely contain my excitement 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
2 minutes ago, 78/79 said:

Nine snow-days up here, mate -- more than 2014, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 and 20 put together... That's one very long run of crap!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold

I love it when i hear the words "warm" and "spring-like" in a forecast, it gives me a happy feeling in my chest that we're almost out of the terrible winter we get every year, ok so snow is nice to have in winter but after a couple of days it becomes boring again and is when i want it to go straight to spring, snow can only bring enjoyment for so long before I'm sick of it.

• Like 2

Posted
21 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

Nine snow-days up here, mate -- more than 2014, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 and 20 put together... That's one very long run of crap!

Sounds like you've done alright Pete, we didn't have much at all, but we done alright last time, so swings and roundabouts really. Hope you're keeping ok. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots
2 hours ago, Azazel said:

Absolutely cannot wait for the warmer weather and I’m so glad this dreadful cold spell is over. 

Couldn't agree more! I love how sultry 12C and a south westerly feels after a spell like this 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
13 minutes ago, 78/79 said:

Sounds like you've done alright Pete, we didn't have much at all, but we done alright last time, so swings and roundabouts really. Hope you're keeping ok. 

Yes given how much potential there’s been... it’s been very very poor. 

Back to the here and now, I just want to fast forward to the end of week for sunshine and mid teens!

• Like 4

Posted
16 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Still not enough support to take the high further north and open the door to a possibility of a very late winter colder shot from the ne or east .

The ECM is an absolute shocker which delivers the worst of all worlds , mild and wet later with any high flattened by a resurgent Atlantic .

The models do though agree on some changes to the PV with the elongated feature running ne sw splitting and losing some of its intensity .

I do find it funny when a cold spell ends at this time of the year some would like to see a sudden change to warmer conditions when the reality is spring can often produce more falling snow than December .

Personally I’m not a great fan of spring cold where you’re normally unable to get sufficient deep cold and especially when you get very good winter synoptics and are left with the if only it was earlier .

If there is to be more cold I’d hope at least it comes earlier where there’s a better chance of delivering more widely and it can max out what’s possible at this time of the year .

In terms of how early spring will pan out I think the trend in terms of that could be set by what happens around day ten .

Normally the zonal flow weakens so if you end up with blocking to the north or east it’s more likely to last than say in the height of winter .

All the snowfalls I've had this January haven't lasted more than a couple of hours anyway! The stronger sun is a bit of red herring - sunshine in January is more than enough to destroy snow cover in a lot of situations.

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Alexis said:

All the snowfalls I've had this January haven't lasted more than a couple of hours anyway! The stronger sun is a bit of red herring - sunshine in January is more than enough to destroy snow cover in a lot of situations.

Thats more to do with the synoptics  than the sun.  However what good synoptics can deliver in the heart of winter won’t deliver in early spring.

You need something spectacular to deliver ice days in early March , as we saw   from 2018 it’s possible but rare .

Expectations need to factor in the increase in solar energy and timing of any snow is more important .

On the plus side increased inland convection means you often see wider falling snow for areas that often miss out in many winter cold spells .

• Like 2

Posted

Somerset's a strange place as far as the weather goes { Even stranger in Glastonbury  unless your a Druid or a Wizzard }  I've lived in Cheddar, Wells ,Frome, and now Shepton . What I've noticed is the variations across the county. Cheddar is a wet old place, the rain gets stuck in that valley, and doesn't move all day.  Frome on the other hand is totally different,  only 30 miles but  a lot drier ,  shielded by the Mendips I suppose. 

Over at  your neck of the woods  around Congresbury  Yatton , and Clevedon it's at sea level , so snow is harder to get , but drive to the top of Burrington Coombe, and it's another world  .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
10 minutes ago, 78/79 said:

Somerset's a strange place as far as the weather goes { Even stranger in Glastonbury  unless your a Druid or a Wizzard }  I've lived in Cheddar, Wells ,Frome, and now Shepton . What I've noticed is the variations across the county. Cheddar is a wet old place, the rain gets stuck in that valley, and doesn't move all day.  Frome on the other hand is totally different,  only 30 miles but  a lot drier ,  shielded by the Mendips I suppose. 

Over at  your neck of the woods  around Congresbury  Yatton , and Clevedon it's at sea level , so snow is harder to get , but drive to the top of Burrington Coombe, and it's another world  .

The difference between Cleeve and Yatton itself is noticeable. Likewise there have been times where Yatton has had a dusting and Clevedon a good few inches. The Severn can either enhance or hinder.

I know what you mean about the Mendips. I used to go regular meetings in Wells and the variation in other seasons let alone winter was notable.

Whats very noticeable is shower streamers in the convective half of the year. A SSW or WSW puts us in the firing line, but SW or W and we often stay completely dry. Oh how I look forward to the first convective days!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool, cold, snow and blizzards.
3 hours ago, 78/79 said:

At least it's mild...  

Posted

The easterly just did nothing for my location and basically the entire south west.

After narnia looking charts that promised country-wide snow events, you can understand how disheartening it was to see these get pushed back and then disappear entirely for our region.

It was laughable if not entirely unexpected to watch the cold go out with a whimper (the same thing seems to happen with heat nowadays too - no fireworks, just swept away with some drizzle).

We did get a snowfall a couple of weeks ago that gave us a few cm for a few hours, making it better than the 2019 winter at least but the recent ‘beasterly’ provided nothing but snow grains blowing around in a bitingly cold wind, with slate grey skies and not even a frost to speak of because it was too windy and dry. It was gross. 

Cant wait for these warmer days/evenings even if it’s a bit damper - will be nice to see and smell the advance of plantlife which is looking a little haggard. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale
6 hours ago, Azazel said:

True enough.

Its been frigid here, but utterly snowless, grey and boring. I can’t be dealing with the horrendous wind chill anymore with no snow whatsoever to show for it.

My hands will appreciate the milder weather.

Yes really significant windchill but no snow around. I had to wear 3 pairs of gloves for my daily run yesterday and that was still not enough!

Posted

500367664_07AA0542-6211-4472-966D-EDD64292C8B9(1).thumb.JPG.ac7fb2becfdba93a23a2874772e51cb1.JPG

Found this absolute gigantic bit of ice (there was an even larger one too) whilst on a walk in Chelmsford today. Never seen such a massive bit of ice.

BBC weather - predicting some VERY mild temps next week for my area and the general SE region - 16/17C. However, all the other forecasters and data show something more like 13/14C. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Frost Sun
50 minutes ago, Azazel said:

The easterly just did nothing for my location and basically the entire south west.

After narnia looking charts that promised country-wide snow events, you can understand how disheartening it was to see these get pushed back and then disappear entirely for our region.

It was laughable if not entirely unexpected to watch the cold go out with a whimper (the same thing seems to happen with heat nowadays too - no fireworks, just swept away with some drizzle).

We did get a snowfall a couple of weeks ago that gave us a few cm for a few hours, making it better than the 2019 winter at least but the recent ‘beasterly’ provided nothing but snow grains blowing around in a bitingly cold wind, with slate grey skies and not even a frost to speak of because it was too windy and dry. It was gross. 

Cant wait for these warmer days/evenings even if it’s a bit damper - will be nice to see and smell the advance of plantlife which is looking a little haggard. 

Living in Hampshire and more especially South West England I wouldn't expect to see much Snow on an Easterly, especially just on a showery flow like we had, an area of low pressure just to South might produce goods.

Majority of forecasts was for Snow to affect more Eastern areas. 

• Like 1

Posted
7 hours ago, nick sussex said:

Thats more to do with the synoptics  than the sun.  However what good synoptics can deliver in the heart of winter won’t deliver in early spring.

You need something spectacular to deliver ice days in early March , as we saw   from 2018 it’s possible but rare .

Expectations need to factor in the increase in solar energy and timing of any snow is more important .

On the plus side increased inland convection means you often see wider falling snow for areas that often miss out in many winter cold spells .

I wonder what are the latest ice days ever recorded? Has there ever been a Beast from the East in April before I wonder?

Posted

Reaching a tropical 6c in Dudley now. Gonna get the shorts on after yesterday. Vile horrible cold. Below freezing until about 11pm last night when it got to zero. Hope it's gone now till at least December. Lovely SW winds coming up from the Azores next weekend. Cant  wait.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 minute ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Reaching a tropical 6c in Dudley now. Gonna get the shorts on after yesterday. Vile horrible cold. Below freezing until about 11pm last night when it got to zero. Hope it's gone now till at least December. Lovely SW winds coming up from the Azores next weekend. Cant  wait.

You on a wind up?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
3 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Why would I be on a wind up? I hate cold weather and just glad it's going. 

but it isn't going, we're not flicking a switch to summer! (wish we were) going to be miserable, windy and around 9 degrees most days, why would anyone want that