Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2020/21 chat, ramps, moans and banter

Paul

Posted

Mild taking control soon,so expect weeks of that,but of course with cold about a week at best it seems before its blown away by low pressure,even if you have huge block of cold air sitting over whole of Europe still the low presssure can win out.

Rubbish climate for decent cold and snow im moving to Fargo ND,

SAT2/13

-23° /-32°

Bitterly cold with some sun

0%

SUN2/14

-23° /-31°

Plenty of sun, but frigid

0%

MON2/15

-20° /-27°

Mostly sunny and very cold

TUE2/16

-17° /-22°

Partly sunny and frigid

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

The thought of another boring cold and dull period of weather depresses me we've had it all winter and I think something bright and warm is just what we need. Some pleasant weather that will finally distract us from these awful times (which winter has just made worse).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Maybe I’m on my own here, but as much as I like the cold winter, and 2020/21 has been an improvement on the last two, and the best since 2017/18, I will be happy to see the transition to warmth in March.

By March time, I’m looking forward to spring and summer weather. I really don’t want a continuation of cold to drag on into April. 

• Like 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, Freeze said:

The thought of another boring cold and dull period of weather depresses me we've had it all winter and I think something bright and warm is just what we need. Some pleasant weather that will finally distract us from these awful times (which winter has just made worse).

Yeah, I’m looking forward to spring. We had a bit of snow here, but not much. Still, I was glad to witness quite a few cold and frosty days on and off since before Christmas, even in London.

I won’t be complaining when we get back to the 25c-30c days

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Been a good cold spell here with very low temperatures and some decent, but not exceptional snow. However as we approach the end of the month and head into March, I’m looking forward to some spring warmth. I usually don’t like it getting cold in March, as you usually need something exceptional such as the 2018 BFTE to produce anything of note. So unless we get another beast, I’m hoping it turns Spring like as we move into March. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

The prospect of a long hot summer fills me with dread....this Winter though has improved my mood no end so fingers crossed i can bear the vile sweaty,sleepless,hayfever seasons to come........for those not sure  i am not a Summer fan

I was in Horncastle near Skegness yesterday, the pure cleanness and vivid white of the snow drifts beats anything spring or summer can offer i'm afraid imo. Stunning.

Edited by markyo
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
8 minutes ago, markyo said:

The prospect of a long hot summer fills me with dread....this Winter though has improved my mood no end so fingers crossed i can bear the vile sweaty,sleepless,hayfever seasons to come........for those not sure  i am not a Summer fan

I was in Horncastle near Skegness yesterday, the pure cleanness and vivid white of the snow drifts beats anything spring or summer can offer i'm afraid imo. Stunning.

I would agree but sadly that doesn't happen here. 'Winter I picture in my head' and 'winter in reality' are two completely different things.

Posted
4 hours ago, summer blizzard said:

As I alluded to a few times it's actually not abnormal to see a protracted high pressure spell around the UK after the initial cold thrust of a SSW impact and it does seem that in late Feb onwards that can be east enough for warmth.

Exactly and that's why I feel in future we should be sceptical for similar February setups, no matter what epic charts the models spew out!

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
19 minutes ago, Don said:

Exactly and that's why I feel in future we should be sceptical for similar February setups, no matter what epic charts the models spew out!

Well if we think about it we had Jan SSW's in 06, 09, 12 (almost), 13, 19 and 21.

Winter 06 was basically all high pressure so can't take much although it did become colder in late Feb/early March.

After the initial cold wave we basically had high pressure from mid Feb through April in 09.

In 12 we basically got the 09 repeat but only lasting through March.

In 13 we basically got 12 repeat but rewound two weeks (that is to say a cold late Jan and very settled Feb).

In 19 we got a short cold thrust then a largely settled Feb even if the former was not that notable.

So actually yes, although 2006 kind of upsets the applecart because it was already settled and just got colder afterwards all our recent Jan SSW's have basically produced about a 2 week cold spell and about a month of high pressure.

• Like 2

Posted

Winter is over for us down here in terms of lying snow and deep cold, I speak as someone who lives on the south coast and even the other day it was -2 outside and the sun coming out STILL melted the snow.

it depends what you define as ‘winter over’ for me I define the potential for long deep freezes being over as true winter, as snow that melts as soon as it’s daylight doesn’t do anything for me.

Nearly 2 months after the equinox and the days are getting longer and the sun stronger. It probably depends on your location as well.

ROLL ON SUNSHINE ☀️ 

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Iceman2606 said:

ECM 12z on fire

Capture.thumb.PNG.ef34b6da356e53744b51c4de08b4dab8.PNG2120631974_Capture1.thumb.PNG.bfbe84a7d8dc9024558d8852c564fdbb.PNG

ECM is pure vile!  I know some people want spring but it is still winter!  It's like looking at charts on 13th August showing max temps of 8C in the south and 4C in the north which would not go down well with many, especially if summer had been disappointing up to that point!

• Like 2

Posted
57 minutes ago, stodge said:

Unless of course you look at the 06Z CFS run which, after a mild interlude of less than a week, puts us back in the freezer for three weeks with two spells of retrogression.

Bring it on

I don’t get it, people asking for sun and warmth..it’s still the middle of February, maybe start complaining when it’s early April and it’s still cold..!!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 hour ago, Don said:

ECM is pure vile!  I know some people want spring but it is still winter!  It's like looking at charts on 13th August showing max temps of 8C in the south and 4C in the north which would not go down well with many, especially if summer had been disappointing up to that point!

Aye, not what I'd like to see in boring quarantine, but expected, I went for a very dry February in the CET, fairly obvious so not a 'good' guess as I knew it, also going for one of driest March's on record, April though? one of wettest ever

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Frost Sun

I'm guessing some people think because charts are showing long drawn South and South Westerlies with all that orange showing on charts country will be bathed in warm sunshine and we can get our shorts and flip flops out. 

Southern and Western areas will most likely be shrouded in mist, low cloud drizzly murk and it won't feel all that warm even if temps are in double figures. 

Sheltered Northern and Eastern areas are more likely to benefit where in any sunshine temps could reach middle teens making it feel spring like. 

Posted

All this talk of a potential February 'heatwave' next weekend, this time 23 years ago we were experiencing a February heatwave when temperatures reached the dizzy heights of 19.7C in Greenwhich!

Edited by Don

Posted
7 hours ago, markyo said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way lol!  I don't mind summer but temps over 28C, no thanks!

• Like 2

Posted

i  know its  a  long way off and its fantasy land could go back in the frezzer

gfs-2-324.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
10 hours ago, AderynCoch said:

Braved the viewing tower on top of the nearby hill today. The wind was horrific up there. My fingers almost fell off taking photos.

IMG_20210213_160407.thumb.jpg.c00b5d7d64f4dd99c1757bbdd08a3630.jpgIMG_20210213_155922.thumb.jpg.c2a4dd8f4d6f73062a274c2f72cc9f5b.jpg

IMG_20210213_155912.thumb.jpg.a5fae6368a8c2a579ebfa938f0bd1721.jpgIMG_20210213_160228.thumb.jpg.54e07130e3144942364a57252caa1798.jpgIMG_20210213_160431.thumb.jpg.3a016bfaaf910daf55d98408500c2994.jpgIMG_20210213_152409.thumb.jpg.906970b6df448b7dab42d1767a87a24f.jpgIMG_20210213_165456.thumb.jpg.5d1faa8a4204fe8eb6642d3fa3ac15be.jpg

Looks chilly Same here, -12°C this morning, but beautiful sunshine ☀️ again. Snow hasn’t melted but some sublimation going on. Lots of icicles, which look quite dangerous. Our village pond has become the local ice rink. All change this week, as a transition to much milder weather occurs. By this time next week, it could be +10°C. 

F56D65EF-3CC0-49E4-821C-6A500ED6DDB2.jpeg

BFC333C4-0103-4480-A073-533294D96946.jpeg

BEDDF1F6-A78F-4DE2-A652-0B81A4720BFA.jpeg

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
10 minutes ago, prolongedSnowLover said:

16c forecast next week on the beeb

Lovely ☺️ Though unlikely to be widespread or last long - could be heading back into chilly weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold
5 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Absolutely cannot wait for the warmer weather and I’m so glad this dreadful cold spell is over. 

Only got dreadful wet and windy weather to look forward to now ?‍♂️