Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2020/21 chat, ramps, moans and banter

Paul

Posted

Springlike conditions next week, wouldn’t be surprised if this February went as mild as 2019. There’s a small chance of it becoming colder at the end, but by then with the sun gaining strength, the air has to be BFTE cold for it to be notable which I can’t see happening. As a whole, this winter has reminded me a lot of 08/09: cold end to December, chilly January, cold spell in February and warm end to winter. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, gales, all extreme weather really!

Love the seasons but looking forward to seeing the back of a very disappointing cold spell imby, very little snow, just unrelenting cold and dry, very boring for me. The evenings are noticeably lighter now and it's that time my attention turns to warmth and convective weather, can't wait now.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms - of the severe kind

probably my last moan for a while, so disappointed. Got a bit of light snow this morning, even the roofs turned just a little white

has already turned to drizzle, and the white on the roofs is already disappearing

and there goes the cold spell... nothing really, apart from cold & windy. Did not see any frost, because too windy

i sum up the winter for me, two disappointing cold spells.

2.5 weeks of cold started on Dec 24th, the only snow was some big wet flakes in the early hours of a Sunday morning, before it all turned to rain

and this latest one (see above)

roll on, the warmer weather now, i'm fed up

Edited by stevofunnelcl
added stuff
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

Had my cold and snow fix for this year, a warm, dry March will do me fine 

• Like 7

Posted

I think in future I’m going to be sceptical about February’s which show potential to be very months.  2009, 2012 and now increasingly likely that 2021 will go very mild in the second half!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme

From a purely IMBY perspective, this winter has been absolute pants. we had snow falling that never settled, whilst  others just a few miles away had two or three decent snow events where the snow settled and stayed on the ground. 

I spent 2 days where the precipitation literally fizzled out right over my head and its just been a winter of complete let downs.

If anything this winter has turned me from a cold and snow lover into one who no longer enjoys the cold and the snow because year after year after year it's just the same boring rubbish down here.

Maybe im just getting old, but my love of snow and cold has gone now, roll on spring, roll on longer days and roll on the warmth. winter you can go and do one. it's been the worst winter ever for me. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms - of the severe kind

example of a dying weather front. The Bright yellow & oranges on the radar are forever to my south-west and never arrive

It's light rain/sleet fairly constant, and the sun is trying to poke through the cloud layer

Posted

so the cold spell comes to an end this weekend and if it proves to be the last cold spell of winter its been the best we have had for a few years, plenty of snowy periods and freezing cold, but now i am looking forward to next week when spring like conditions look set to appear..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold
6 minutes ago, sparky1972 said:

so the cold spell comes to an end this weekend and if it proves to be the last cold spell of winter its been the best we have had for a few years, plenty of snowy periods and freezing cold, but now i am looking forward to next week when spring like conditions look set to appear..

It’s been rather patetic here with more MO snow warnings than actual snow!!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
2 hours ago, Don said:

I think in future I’m going to be sceptical about February’s which show potential to be very months.  2009, 2012 and now increasingly likely that 2021 will go very mild in the second half!

As I alluded to a few times it's actually not abnormal to see a protracted high pressure spell around the UK after the initial cold thrust of a SSW impact and it does seem that in late Feb onwards that can be east enough for warmth.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
1 hour ago, prolongedSnowLover said:

It’s been rather patetic here with more MO snow warnings than actual snow!!

This  so called Beast From the East has been more like the knackered old Moggy who has lost it's fangs due to extreme old age in this part of the world, seen more snow on a Christmas Card.

Posted
3 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

@Don could change it to feb2021crapness

Yes, that sounds more like it actually for the likes of me and you!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy

20th day of snow on the ground this winter for me. Considering the last few haven't even had 10 days it has been a decent winter here. The most notable thing about the whole winter other than it being slightly colder than average is the lack of windy days. There hasn't been a single day of winds over 50mph since halloween. Being up in the north west that's quite unusual. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Winters, Warm Summers.

What I hate most about the mild output currently is it’s killed the mod thread off, back to 3/4 pages a day! Have really enjoyed the cut and thrust of the chase for cold over the last month or so, it’s been a welcome distraction from the purgatory that is Coronavirus. And the bit of snow we have had has given us something different to do with our two young children, but gutted we only had a few sprinkles of snow from this easterly, was hoping to recreate the igloo we made in the BFTE of 2018. (Youngest child to young to remember it )

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and crisp..
13 minutes ago, PolarWarsaw said:

This forum get's stranger and stranger by the year.

Let the seasons be seasons? Variety is indeed the spice of life?

Surely people don't come on a weather forum to actively search for and hope that high pressure and pleasantly mild days take over for 90% of the year? What's wrong with you? These type of posters are more suited to a lifestyle forum, not a weather one - as they clearly aren't fans of the actual weather. Since when was winter over before Mid Feb? We are statistically more likely to see cold weather and snow for the next 7 weeks, than we are at any other time of the year. Not an opinion, that's a fact . 

Not sure if it's the internet era, the increase of people able to give an opinion or if it's a true indictment of our evolving 'social media, whiny, moany, weak, snowflake era' - but every single year it seems to get earlier and earlier where people start declaring winter over and waffling about spring time temperatures? When I first joined this forum 10+ years ago, you wouldn't see the first search/request for Spring until the final week of March.

Let's be realistic here, we live in the UK, beggars cannot be choosers - therefore a sloppy marginal snow event that delivers a covering of snow is very much on the table right out until the last couple of days of March. Keeping in mind most people would be content to take this.

As someone mentioned above, it's pleasantly mild enough for the vast majority of the year to allow for fair weather 'mother meetings' in the outdoors. What has happened to wanting seasons in seasons? On a weather forum? I don't want to think about 20c for one single second, right out into the middle of May. Much like by then I don't want to be dealing with frost and gloves until the end of October. We very quickly these days transition for dark chilly days, right into the middle of summer. It happened in 2018 and the BBQ was out within days of lockdown being ordered last March - it's too long, too much, let's keep this thread interesting and active - something that won't happen as soon as it dries out and warms up. 

One thing I will say is, I've worked in retail for a while and the weather quite frequently trolls people at this time of year....Temperatures get into the mid teens and people walk about saying 'its very nice today out there, spring is here' - only to find that a week later and sometimes right late into March it's cold and frosty, the woolies are needed again. Probably quite devious of me, but I always end up thinking 'ha suckers'. Not sure there'd be such universal positivity about if roles reversed here and we saw Max temps of 10c forecast for early August?! 

Shake your heads folks, there's plenty of time for mild, mundane, summery, boring, sweaty, fair weather - it happens about 7 months of the year. March has twice in the last decade seen notable, memorable - 'best winter months'. Even if it does get mild for a few days, enjoy it - it could be the last 20c until the middle of May (we can live in hope, it shouldn't be that warm until then).

Here is to a year of seasons. Showery spring, stormy and wet summer, wild and windy Autumn - bitter winter!

Well said, although of topic ! the winter is over brigade.. really in mid feb lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!
15 minutes ago, PolarWarsaw said:

Surely people don't come on a weather forum to actively search for and hope that high pressure and pleasantly mild days take over for 90% of the year? What's wrong with you? These type of posters are more suited to a lifestyle forum, not a weather one - as they clearly aren't fans of the actual weather. Since when was winter over before Mid Feb? We are statistically more likely to see cold weather and snow for the next 7 weeks, than we are at any other time of the year. Not an opinion, that's a fact . 

Not sure if it's the internet era, the increase of people able to give an opinion or if it's a true indictment of our evolving 'social media, whiny, moany, weak, snowflake era' - but every single year it seems to get earlier and earlier where people start declaring winter over and waffling about spring time temperatures? When I first joined this forum 10+ years ago, you wouldn't see the first search/request for Spring until the final week of March.

Let's be realistic here, we live in the UK, beggars cannot be choosers - therefore a sloppy marginal snow event that delivers a covering of snow is very much on the table right out until the last couple of days of March. Keeping in mind most people would be content to take this.

As someone mentioned above, it's pleasantly mild enough for the vast majority of the year to allow for fair weather 'mother meetings' in the outdoors. What has happened to wanting seasons in seasons? On a weather forum? I don't want to think about 20c for one single second, right out into the middle of May. Much like by then I don't want to be dealing with frost and gloves until the end of October. We very quickly these days transition for dark chilly days, right into the middle of summer. It happened in 2018 and the BBQ was out within days of lockdown being ordered last March - it's too long, too much, let's keep this thread interesting and active - something that won't happen as soon as it dries out and warms up. 

One thing I will say is, I've worked in retail for a while and the weather quite frequently trolls people at this time of year....Temperatures get into the mid teens and people walk about saying 'its very nice today out there, spring is here' - only to find that a week later and sometimes right late into March it's cold and frosty, the woolies are needed again. Probably quite devious of me, but I always end up thinking 'ha suckers'. Not sure there'd be such universal positivity about if roles reversed here and we saw Max temps of 10c forecast for early August?! 

Shake your heads folks, there's plenty of time for mild, mundane, summery, boring, sweaty, fair weather - it happens about 7 months of the year. March has twice in the last decade seen notable, memorable - 'best winter months'. Even if it does get mild for a few days, enjoy it - it could be the last 20c until the middle of May (we can live in hope, it shouldn't be that warm until then).

Here is to a year of seasons. Showery spring, stormy and wet summer, wild and windy Autumn - bitter winter!

Quite agree, I love the different seasons. Here's to more of them

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan
34 minutes ago, PolarWarsaw said:

Surely people don't come on a weather forum to actively search for and hope that high pressure and pleasantly mild days take over for 90% of the year? What's wrong with you? These type of posters are more suited to a lifestyle forum, not a weather one - as they clearly aren't fans of the actual weather.

[snipped]

That's a bit strong, Polar. People can have completely different preferences to you without there being something "wrong" with them. I mean, we have posters on here who actively prefer cool, damp, cloudy weather in summer. I find that strange personally, but it's a perfectly valid preference. High pressure and pleasantly mild is also a perfectly valid preference. It may be different from yours (or indeed mine) but that's *part* of variety being the spice of life.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall
33 minutes ago, PolarWarsaw said:

Let's be realistic here, we live in the UK, beggars cannot be choosers - therefore a sloppy marginal snow event that delivers a covering of snow is very much on the table right out until the last couple of days of March. Keeping in mind most people would be content to take this. That's at least 7 more weeks where we are in with a chance of dealing with cold and snow. 

As someone mentioned above, it's pleasantly mild enough for the vast majority of the year to allow for fair weather 'mother meetings' in the outdoors. What has happened to wanting seasons in seasons? On a weather forum? I don't want to think about 20c for one single second, right out into the middle of May. Much like by then I don't want to be dealing with frost and gloves until the end of October.

We very quickly these days transition from dark chilly days, right into the middle of summer. No middle, no spring - just all out of balance, it's wound up making summer feel extremely long and miserable. It happened in 2018 and the BBQ was out within days of lockdown being ordered last March - it's too long, too much, let's keep this thread interesting and active - something that won't happen as soon as it dries out and warms up. A season isn't a season if 1 weather type takes up 6-7 months of an entire year.

One thing I will say is, I've worked in retail for a while and the weather quite frequently trolls people at this time of year....Temperatures get into the mid teens and people walk about saying 'its very nice today out there, spring is here' - only to find that a week later and sometimes right late into March it's cold and frosty, the woolies are needed again and it was all just a false dawn.

Probably quite devious of me, but I always end up thinking 'ha suckers, where's your fair weather gone'. Not sure there'd be such universal positivity in this thread if roles reversed here and we saw Max temps of 10c and driving rain forecast for early August?! Let people enjoy a season without waffling on about something alternative at the first given chance.

Here is to a year of actual seasons. Not cold into 7 months of mild summery weather.

Showery spring with lots of rainbows, stormy, warmish and wet summer followed by a wild and windy Autumn - into a bitter winter!

Quite agree PW.  If the the first twenty years of the 21st century has taught us anything it is that calling winter over in early to mid feb is ridiculous.  If I strip out  December 2010 then March has seen more wintry weather overall in the last twenty years than any other month at my station, with March 2018 second only to Dec 2010 in terms of snowfall a new record low minima. 

They'll be enough time for balmy spring days come April and May.  Let the seaons be the seasons, winter in reality being Dec 21st - March 21st in the southern UK at least

Posted

Just beginning to absolutely hate winters here. It’s either a three-month hurricane or strings of bitterly cold days and nights and high heating bills without any of the joys of snow. It’s funny, ever since we got wall insulation the winters have seemed colder, offsetting the effect, but less snowy. This morning it seemed everything was favourable - established cold, low dew points, good wind direction, lots of snow on the radar (or so it seemed). What do we get? A few measly flakes. Honestly think I’m just going to root for the mild dry conditions of eg 2011/12 from now on it’ll save a lot of heartache.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool, cold, snow and blizzards.

It'll be a real shame if we don't see any more cold this winter.  I've thoroughly enjoyed the cold and snow this winter, and the thought of the upcoming spring transition to warmth and sunshine is depressing.  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WHITE GOLD

I would be Surprised if we don’t see a another cold spell before winter is out. I must admit if all the snow depth charts and apps showing snow all came to fruition I would still be digging myself out of snow. But no just a couple of dusting here. I have enjoyed this unusual winter and some fantastic posting so thanks All. We cannot say it’s been boring in the model Thread.  

cheers Foz

• Like 1