Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2020/21 chat, ramps, moans and banter

Paul

Posted
7 hours ago, summer blizzard said:

Summers since 1950 following a moderate Nina in Q4.

So rays of hope however..

1976 and 2018 were both flipping from Nina to Nino.

Only 1971, 1989, 1996, 1999, 2008 and 2011 followed first year Nina's.

That says to me absolutely nothing  because you got absolute shockers mixed with absolutely crackers, they cancel each other out.

Posted
9 hours ago, Man Without Beard said:

Is this just a south coast thing, or has the winter been like this for anyone else?

Days when it is not cold enough to snow = Precipitation hits.

Days when it is cold enough to snow (and we've had between 10 and 20 even here) = Precipitation misses.

Its been a great winter in the North West Midlands. Since 29th December we have had snow on the ground for 25+ days. Getting fed up now of getting snow on my shoes going out to the bin!

However, this current spell has only bought limited fresh snow which is disappointing. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer

Maybe the beast has forgotten how to be a beast, because its always confined in its lonely cage every winter. 
It probably thought upon being unleashed, "oh crap what do i do now? how do you make snow? Which way is England?"   

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, severe frost, freezing fog and summer sunshine
3 hours ago, cheese said:

The cold and snow is nowhere near as widespread now as it was in 2018. We had a max of 2.6C here today following a low of -5C, nothing remotely noteworthy.

In fact, we haven’t managed a single ice day here during this cold spell.

It’s interesting seeing those very cold temperatures in Scotland but it doesn’t change the fact that this cold spell has been very underwhelming for most places.

Agree. I remember walking to the shop in 2018 BFTE and the wind was stinging my face it was so cold. I didn't feel that this time around. Maybe it was tempered by warmer than average SST's. It's been cold but nothing out of the ordinary (in Yorkshire anyway). In terms of snow, my location did better in December and January. 

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Angus Mcoatup said:

Yesterday morning’s snow, is this the last for this year.

019101D8-767A-4128-8D2D-9F418E8F2A11.jpeg

Perhaps December?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

This winter kind of reminds me of 08/09. Often on the cold side but no real deep cold spell. At least in my location anyway. Did scotland have a good winter that winter like its having this winter?

Hopefully this winter is the beginning of a run of colder winters which will have proper cold spells just the way the winter of 08/09 was the beginning. 08/09 also had 2 very mild winters before it just like this winter.

Edited by sundog
  • Like 1

Posted

Synoptic Discussion - January 2021

Summary

The January circulation pattern was strongly modulated by the phase of the Pacific/North American pattern (PNA), which was positive during the first half of the month and strongly negative during the final week of January. As part of the positive PNA wavetrain, a ridge extended from the tropical Pacific to across Canada. This ridge was associated with warm and dry conditions across much of the contiguous U.S. but particularly the Northern Plains.

The pattern in January was particularly exceptional because of the ongoing La Niña event and a strongly negative phase of the Arctic Oscillation (AO). Both of these typically favor cool anomalies for the Northern Plains. However, the ridge was too strong and persistent to allow for the typical cold air outbreaks. This particular La Niña event has also been shifted farther west than most years, which may also have favored these warmer temperatures.

The strongly negative AO was associated in part with a stratospheric warming event that happened during late December through January. During that time, the stratospheric polar vortex warmed dramatically and its jet stream weakened. The vortex usually blows from west to east around the north pole. Three times during January, it slowed to the point where it reversed direction.

Like the negative AO itself, stratospheric warming events tend be associated with more cold air outbreaks in North America and Europe. Europe did experience cold anomalies associated with a deep and persistent trough there, but the aforementioned ridge precluded cold anomalies over North America. Stratospheric warming events are also associated with more intense winter storms. This event may have played a role in the atmospheric river that hit California around January 27, and the subsequent snowstorm in the Midwest and ultimately a major nor'easter around February 1.

https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/synoptic/202101

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms - of the severe kind

13c now being forecasted here for Monday, they keep ramping the temps up

so much for "the cold air will be hard to budge"

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

In fairness we only reach 7C here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, cold, ice, frost, thundersnow,

Hello guys!

My guess on the weather for the remainder of February. It is a guess so could be wrong but this is currently what my gut is telling me. This is more focused towards Southern England.

The next few days bring cold, often cloudy weather, with temperatures struggling to get above 0c for many. Mainly dry, with overnight frost.

From Sunday mostly rain moves in, and it turns milder next week. Some heavy rain from time to time, but with any drier, sunnier interludes, it could become very mild for a time next week, perhaps feeling Spring-like with temperatures maybe reaching the mid-teens Celsius for a time.

Later in February however, the high over the North Sea will re-assert itself over Scandinavia, changing the southerly winds to an easterly. With much of Central, Northern and Eastern Europe still bitterly cold, another easterly spell with sub zero temperatures and snow risk is possible - but not a guarantee. The timing of this is uncertain, and it could be that March starts off cold as well.

This is my guess, and may not be 100% right. But based on the general models and synoptics, this is the likelihood. Further west in the region, more risk of spells of rain at times, more east in the region and drier, with very variable temperatures. I wouldn't be surprised if later in the month we went from 16/17c and sunny spells one day, to -2c and snow a couple days later. Tiny differences in pressure can make a huge difference to our weather.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
3 hours ago, sukayuonsensnow said:

Hello guys!

My guess on the weather for the remainder of February. It is a guess so could be wrong but this is currently what my gut is telling me. This is more focused towards Southern England.

The next few days bring cold, often cloudy weather, with temperatures struggling to get above 0c for many. Mainly dry, with overnight frost.

From Sunday mostly rain moves in, and it turns milder next week. Some heavy rain from time to time, but with any drier, sunnier interludes, it could become very mild for a time next week, perhaps feeling Spring-like with temperatures maybe reaching the mid-teens Celsius for a time.

Later in February however, the high over the North Sea will re-assert itself over Scandinavia, changing the southerly winds to an easterly. With much of Central, Northern and Eastern Europe still bitterly cold, another easterly spell with sub zero temperatures and snow risk is possible - but not a guarantee. The timing of this is uncertain, and it could be that March starts off cold as well.

This is my guess, and may not be 100% right. But based on the general models and synoptics, this is the likelihood. Further west in the region, more risk of spells of rain at times, more east in the region and drier, with very variable temperatures. I wouldn't be surprised if later in the month we went from 16/17c and sunny spells one day, to -2c and snow a couple days later. Tiny differences in pressure can make a huge difference to our weather.

I hate to be rude but you admit you are guessing? I really dont know what to say,i may as well have asked the first kid coming out of primary school?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool, cold, snow and blizzards.

So winter's more-or-less over then?  I suppose it was inevitable, since as soon as the damned Atlantic gets revved-up it's pretty much impossible to stop.  If that's the case I hope it stays in charge right the way through spring and summer -  if there's one thing I hate more than mild winters it's hot summers.

Posted
23 hours ago, cheese said:

The cold and snow is nowhere near as widespread now as it was in 2018. We had a max of 2.6C here today following a low of -5C, nothing remotely noteworthy.

In fact, we haven’t managed a single ice day here during this cold spell.

It’s interesting seeing those very cold temperatures in Scotland but it doesn’t change the fact that this cold spell has been very underwhelming for most places.

First time since februari 2012 we can skate here in the Netherlands 

• Like 3

Posted

Charts still trying work out where the pressure rise will form,anything from the north or east 

could return a cold scenario.The ECM will again be interesting to see if they pick up a positive

position although at fantasy island it will be subject to change,that is of course the high pressure 

shows it’s face as Met office 30 day predictes.

Posted

I’d be extremely happy with the U.K. high set up and some nice dry sunny weather, been quite clear down here last couple of days - very cold but nice to see the sun!

Roll on spring!

• Like 4

Posted

This SEly has been outstanding for extreme dry air and wind chill factor and very low maxes 0.0c then dropped to -1.5c when cloud over comes.