Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2020/21 chat, ramps, moans and banter

Paul

Posted

It’s a shame this UK cold spell is going out with more of a puff than a bang!

With so much cold embedded at the surface there could have been some real fireworks .

As it is the low to the west is bloated and not disrupting at all and so barring some brief snow in the west and sw it looks like more of a slow changeover as the cold lifts out .

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 minute ago, nick sussex said:

It’s a shame this UK cold spell is going out with more of a puff than a bang!

With so much cold embedded at the surface there could have been some real fireworks .

As it is the low to the west is bloated and not disrupting at all and so barring some brief snow in the west and sw it looks like more of a slow changeover as the cold lifts out .

been wet hasn't it, heard there was flooding on Tuesday

Edited by I remember Atlantic 252

Posted
28 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

been wet hasn't it, heard there was flooding on Tuesday

The flooding was further north . East of Bordeaux .  No problems down here although there is an avalanche risk in the mountains .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

Cold and dull still.. the thought of warm sunny weather excites me now, I really hope spring is early I don't think I could handle another snowless cold spell fail. Only had a couple of flurries nothing settled at all, think I would rather mild than watching everywhere else enjoy snow all winter, very selfish I know 

How amazing has it been in scotland this winter!

Edited by Freeze
  • Like 2

Posted

This is actually in some ways more significant than the 2018 "beast from the east" given we've had the coldest temp in 25 years, though admittedly that spell in 2018 was mostly in march so more significant? who knows

• Like 1

Posted

Is this just a south coast thing, or has the winter been like this for anyone else?

Days when it is not cold enough to snow = Precipitation hits.

Days when it is cold enough to snow (and we've had between 10 and 20 even here) = Precipitation misses.

• Like 6

Posted
On 09/02/2021 at 11:36, birdman said:

Last Thursday it became clear that this cold spell was definitely going to be an event for predominantly the Eastern side of the county. So although a little disappointing for us lot further west it has not been entirely unexpected. From an IMBY perspective, its not been THAT cold and of course very little snow. Still had a dusting which is more than some! Personally I've not written this Easterly off yet as there is still hope and interest for me. But I bet the people who have been right in the thick of it have a very different opinion and for them I'm sure it's been very memorable! So it's all very subjective.

Half the problem was the ramping type posts in the mod thread which may have falsely set expectations too high for some people. In any case, this cold spell could still surprises for some and February is not over by a long way! 

The problem for me was Simon King from BBC R5 that on Friday morning said that we were in for "significant disruptive snowfall in the south and east". I then checked the met office forecast and indeed each day from Sunday to Thursday was an ice day with snow all day Sunday. Thats when my expectations were set. I am sensible enough not to listen to the mad fred peeps as they are prone to excitment. Simple fact is it didnt do what the met men said it was going to do.

Reality was very little snow, the odd dusting. Light snow falling for just shy of a decade and 1 ice day so far.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
10 hours ago, cheese said:

Disappointing cold spell. Let’s hope we get a scorching hot summer to make up for it. 

Summers since 1950 following a moderate Nina in Q4.

So rays of hope however..

1976 and 2018 were both flipping from Nina to Nino.

Only 1971, 1989, 1996, 1999, 2008 and 2011 followed first year Nina's.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter, dry in summer.

Still -5 at 11am. That's pretty unusual! Proper ice day!

I know some have missed out but this has been the best winter here for quite a while for snow. Snowed Christmas Eve and lasted ages and then approx. 17cm here and cold enough not to melt even in the sun. 3 more very cold days to follow before the thaw.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything apart from grey and mild!
2 hours ago, ptow said:

The problem for me was Simon King from BBC R5 that on Friday morning said that we were in for "significant disruptive snowfall in the south and east". I then checked the met office forecast and indeed each day from Sunday to Thursday was an ice day with snow all day Sunday. Thats when my expectations were set. I am sensible enough not to listen to the mad fred peeps as they are prone to excitment. Simple fact is it didnt do what the met men said it was going to do.

Reality was very little snow, the odd dusting. Light snow falling for just shy of a decade and 1 ice day so far.

The snowfall was clearly very unpredictable away from the Eastern side of the country and FOR the Eastern side of the country it was widespread BUT localised too. A very tricky forecast all round. People who used the weather apps were no doubt misled as the data just wasn't accurate due to model uncertainty. This is where forecasters should be able to step in and use their experience and expertise to interpret the situation properly and I guess some nailed it with their wording and some didn't! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C

Pretty poor attempt at a real cold night last night, started out well getting down to -3.9c at around 8, but didn't drop from there. 2018's easterly was much more potent getting down to -6.1c the day before March! and four days in it was still was going strong 4 days in, this spell has already peaked. I'd put this easterly similar to the Feb 2012 one but even that had a low of -5.9c and deeper snow into East Sussex rather than just the Eastern Coasts.

Posted
5 hours ago, Freeze said:

Cold and dull still.. the thought of warm sunny weather excites me now, I really hope spring is early I don't think I could handle another snowless cold spell fail. Only had a couple of flurries nothing settled at all, think I would rather mild than watching everywhere else enjoy snow all winter, very selfish I know 

How amazing has it been in scotland this winter!

We have done quite well before in these set-ups,but this time missed any streamers from the East,and no channel low which can give big amountst,he ground was too warm Sunday,frustrating, stilll we got an ice day,which is rare on the South coast

• Like 1

Posted
8 hours ago, Mr Frost said:

A85CF9AC-DD8B-4A66-868D-6A06A6B857AD.thumb.jpeg.9b8a4cddc6a4ae1abe012ca890ce472a.jpeg

Fantastic Winter - parts of Scotland have had snow on the ground since Christmas Eve. 

January was very cold up here.

B92CEE3D-AC53-4C2B-8982-EE9D5B3258AF.thumb.gif.b6b091e7d86752b6c9073b29a87b4eba.gif

Great first half of February as well.

Always good to have a cold/snowy Winter in the bag!

Hopefully a repeat of Spring 2020 ahead!

All the best to you all.

That's amazing to see!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

That's true, at least it's felt cold compared to the 'warmth' of recent winters.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Blizzards, Hoarfrost, Frost and Extremes
6 hours ago, Man Without Beard said:

Is this just a south coast thing, or has the winter been like this for anyone else?

Days when it is not cold enough to snow = Precipitation hits.

Days when it is cold enough to snow (and we've had between 10 and 20 even here) = Precipitation misses.

Yep, been an absolute shocker - a few light flurries of grupel. Not seen 1 proper flake of snow yet this winter 

I need to look at buying a small place in Braemar, the winter they have had so far this year looks sensational 

• Like 2

Posted
34 minutes ago, chris55 said:

UKMO looking 'loaded' tonight.... if we can pull in another cold feed let's hope it results in some more widespread snowfall.

The current spell has been historical, and the depth of the cold is very rare, but we have been unlucky in terms of snowfall away from the areas you'd expect to see snow in this kind of set up.

If Darcy had set up over the UK rather than Holland this spell would have gone down in NW history , but alas, you can't win them all. 

A few more weeks left for the "chase" to continue and UKMO keeping cold potential in the mix for sure.

Historical? Maybe in the deepest mountainous regions of Scotland!! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
8 hours ago, qwertyK said:

This is actually in some ways more significant than the 2018 "beast from the east" given we've had the coldest temp in 25 years, though admittedly that spell in 2018 was mostly in march so more significant? who knows

The cold and snow is nowhere near as widespread now as it was in 2018. We had a max of 2.6C here today following a low of -5C, nothing remotely noteworthy.

In fact, we haven’t managed a single ice day here during this cold spell.

It’s interesting seeing those very cold temperatures in Scotland but it doesn’t change the fact that this cold spell has been very underwhelming for most places.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Cold, Very Snowy
3 minutes ago, JimBob said:

Historical? Maybe in the deepest mountainous regions of Scotland!! 

Coldest February temperature since 1955 so yes historical.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
3 minutes ago, cheese said:

The cold and snow is nowhere near as widespread now as it was in 2018. We had a max of 2.6C here today following a low of -5C, nothing remotely noteworthy.

In fact, we haven’t managed a single ice day here during this cold spell.

It’s interesting seeing those very cold temperatures in Scotland but it doesn’t change the fact that this cold spell has been very underwhelming for most places.

Surprised, thought Leeds would see good snow, where as I knew here wouldn't

Posted

Not got above freezing here today, very rare for the far west, was hoping at least to see some flakes in the galeforce wind on Saturday, however, the latest fax has the front further west again, so by the time the fronts get their act together on sunday, the temps are due to rise and its all rain!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
5 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Surprised, thought Leeds would see good snow, where as I knew here wouldn't

Our max depth has been around 3cm, and it melted under the sun, only persisting in shaded areas. 2018, 2013, 2010, 2009, 2005 - all great easterlies here. 2021 is a massive fail.

I can say with confidence that nobody here will remember this cold spell in 10 years time. Doesn’t matter how cold it got in rural Aberdeenshire.

Edited by cheese