Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2020/21 chat, ramps, moans and banter

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

This is exactly why easterlies on their own don't excite me. It takes a real beast to be notable e.g. Feb/Mar 2018 or Feb 2009. They're much more useful in either preserving snow that's fallen beforehand, or making conditions for more favourable for incoming snow from a stalled Atlantic (hopefully the case later this week) or ahead of a snowy northerly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Really going to miss the freshness of this Winter when it actually departs, by far the best one for a few years. Fingers crossed no sweltering heat in the summer and we might be on for a decent 12 months of UK weather!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing Fog, Clear blue skies and sunny (cold/warm), snow
9 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

My goodness, it’s almost as if the UK has a mild, maritime climate, where extremes are rare. Mind you, more northern parts of the UK have had their snowiest winter for quite some years (or did that escape the news, as it wasn’t London?) and tonight may see temperatures fall below -10°C, even in the south. Pretty chilly, I’d say for this climate. 

We had a maritime climate during the 80's which had nationwide snow events nearly every other year. We had a maritime climate during the 60's and the 40's and the period from 1300 to 1850 which saw great frosts last for months at a time.  The problem isn't the atlantic. It's that there's too much damn heat in it now and not enough cold air to our east and north anymore. And that's only going to get worse for the next 2000 years and that's if we stop pumping carbon into the atmosphere tomorrow. Which we're not going to do so the climate of this earth will be ruined for a lot longer after all the oil and coal is gone.

So yes you're right, moaning is pretty pointless tbh. By the time I am elderly I doubt we'll see frost or snow at all during any winter month. Its probably better to embrace our new unliveable earth where human habitation in the regions between the tropics is impossible and there isnt enough landmass to fit all the refugees from those areas. At least the north coast of Siberia can start exploring its tourism and leisure opportunities. 

• Like 1

Posted

-8C tonight here in south Essex - probably coldest since 2018. Very rare to get those sort of tempreatures down here outside of the most rural areas, especially today. Lots of snow still out. The size of some icicles! I was initally worried when this started late last week the snow wouldn't settle - as it hadn't that day until mid morning. Turned out to be much better and prolonged than I expected. 

Posted
Just now, Wynter said:

Any chance this next faze of weather could become mild?

Not really interested in cold anymore this Winter. Would love for a warm up to occur instead.

BBC weather showing consistent 10/11C next week. I'm fine with this cold weather. What a stark contrast to last February, and the one before where we had 21.2C in London! This time last year the daffodils were out in their prime

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything apart from grey and mild!

Come to think of it It's been an odd winter. We've had hardly any heavy frosts! Am struggling to recall more than 2... 

Posted
27 minutes ago, birdman said:

Come to think of it It's been an odd winter. We've had hardly any heavy frosts! Am struggling to recall more than 2... 

Depends where one calls home my friend.Here on the Isle of Lewis,the ground is frozen,the small lochs are mostly all frozen,the rivers and streams are decorated with ice.The Clisham (Highest point of land on island at 699m) has had snow on it since before Christmas and this is an island bathed in the Gulf Stream.It certainly has been an odd winter!

• Like 2

Posted

Coldest January since 2010. 25 days of snow cover. Maximum depth approximately 15cm and we are only in the North Midlands!

Great winter

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, Staffmoorlands said:

Coldest January since 2010. 25 days of snow cover. Maximum depth approximately 15cm and we are only in the North Midlands!

Great winter

Biddulph is pretty elevated though. Isn't that where the source of the River Trent is? Still, 25 days of snow cover is more than I've had so far! 

It's gone cold here now though, with a high of - 5C expected tomorrow. Had 5cm of snow today. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
4 hours ago, Atleastitwillbemild said:

We had a maritime climate during the 80's which had nationwide snow events nearly every other year. We had a maritime climate during the 60's and the 40's and the period from 1300 to 1850 which saw great frosts last for months at a time.  The problem isn't the atlantic. It's that there's too much damn heat in it now and not enough cold air to our east and north anymore. And that's only going to get worse for the next 2000 years and that's if we stop pumping carbon into the atmosphere tomorrow. Which we're not going to do so the climate of this earth will be ruined for a lot longer after all the oil and coal is gone.

So yes you're right, moaning is pretty pointless tbh. By the time I am elderly I doubt we'll see frost or snow at all during any winter month. Its probably better to embrace our new unliveable earth where human habitation in the regions between the tropics is impossible and there isnt enough landmass to fit all the refugees from those areas. At least the north coast of Siberia can start exploring its tourism and leisure opportunities. 

Yep, I agree that we do need to address the warming of the planet much more robustly. 
Regarding this cold spell, plenty in the 80’s ended up similarly. Takes special synoptics to get deep cold and snow to the UK, especially country-wide. It’s just a crap climate for that (generally), and despite cold and snow occurring slightly more frequently in some past decades, it always has been a crap climate for it. Though Scotland and parts of E England have had their snowiest winter for quite a few years. Major cold spell here in Prague, too, with 25cm of lying snow now and -15°C expected this week. 

Edited by stainesbloke

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan
56 minutes ago, Staffmoorlands said:

Great winter

But as AderynCoch noted, you're at 750 feet asl. That's a big, big advantage in marginal situations. I mean, I'm not complaining about what I've had here this winter, but still.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter, dry in summer.
4 hours ago, Flake news said:

Need a photo of a snowy moonlit Sycamore Gap, or else I don't believe you

Not Sycamore Gap - can't get there road closed.IMG_3478.thumb.JPG.33ac89790ecc965aa2d6b17be2141aaf.JPG

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather, Tornado's, Heavy snowfall, Thunderstorms

Best to admit defeat, this isn't the states.

• Like 2

Posted
12 minutes ago, CentralSouthernSnow said:

And we’re back to chasing 10 day charts! Well it certainly won’t be a winter to remember. See you all next winter  signing out. 

See you tomorrow then! 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything apart from grey and mild!
3 hours ago, MildCarlilse said:

Depends where one calls home my friend.Here on the Isle of Lewis,the ground is frozen,the small lochs are mostly all frozen,the rivers and streams are decorated with ice.The Clisham (Highest point of land on island at 699m) has had snow on it since before Christmas and this is an island bathed in the Gulf Stream.It certainly has been an odd winter!

Sounds amazing! My corner of the world is on the edge of the Cotswolds but sadly lacking frost this year. I took this picture a few years ago it was -6 on my way to work. I haven't seen anything like this this year. By the way, I recall your name from the MetMonkey days  "why is Carlisle so mild" and why do I remember random things?! Lol

IMG_20190131_140420_182.jpg

Edited by birdman

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Disappointing cold spell. Let’s hope we get a scorching hot summer to make up for it. 

• Like 3

Posted

People in the model thread proclaiming winter over again. We've had many a snow event in March. I said the same when it was apparently over at the beginning of January! Do they never learn? The models don't run the weather....

As for those moaning about the cold, its winter.

Do you moan for snow and cold in August?!

• Like 2

Posted

Could be looking at quite a mild spell end of February. Similar to 2012/2019. At least this winter provided one of the coldest temperatures on record. Something to remember

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!
1 hour ago, Turnedoutniceagain said:

-21.9c in Braemar @ 6am this morning

image.thumb.png.a6e17008ab441797119368b0ed1df046.png

A85CF9AC-DD8B-4A66-868D-6A06A6B857AD.thumb.jpeg.9b8a4cddc6a4ae1abe012ca890ce472a.jpeg

Fantastic Winter - parts of Scotland have had snow on the ground since Christmas Eve. 

January was very cold up here.

B92CEE3D-AC53-4C2B-8982-EE9D5B3258AF.thumb.gif.b6b091e7d86752b6c9073b29a87b4eba.gif

Great first half of February as well.

Always good to have a cold/snowy Winter in the bag!

Hopefully a repeat of Spring 2020 ahead!

All the best to you all.

• Like 7