Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2020/21 chat, ramps, moans and banter

Paul

Posted

Well, it's -6,5C and it just started to rain. Feels like someone throwing stones at my windows. This is gonna be bad.

Edited by daz_4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms - of the severe kind
16 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

Yes! Same in Prague, there is a slight yellow tinge to the snow, weird!

wait a minute, it's not supposed to be yellow, until it's been on the ground for a while

well this is exciting for me, around 3 days of cold, and maybe one ice day, but no prospects of snow, other than maybe a real light flurry.. i hope for the milder air again soon.. and save on those heating bills

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
5 minutes ago, stevofunnelcl said:

wait a minute, it's not supposed to be yellow, until it's been on the ground for a while

well this is exciting for me, around 3 days of cold, and maybe one ice day, but no prospects of snow, other than maybe a real light flurry.. i hope for the milder air again soon.. and save on those heating bills

Hehe, there must be one huge dog running around

Snowed most of the night here, proper winter wonderland and -8°C currently. Will have to go for a walk later and take some pics.

6A778593-8D8E-47B7-85CD-79DE31AB60F2.jpeg

52F6BB1F-FA0B-439B-8AF4-626454D2D080.jpeg

• Like 2

Underwhelmed by the North Sea snow showers this morning.  if it's a 'machine' it's running well below capacity due to unresolved operational issues.  

Mornings getting lighter, spring suddenly feels in touching distance.  A bit of warmth to ramp up the new year won't go amiss now.

• Like 1

Posted

Interested to know thoughts on why the showers are so light this time around?

Why convection rates are so much lower this time?

I remember 1987, 1991, 2013, 2018 the showers were extremely potent and deposited at least an inch of snow at a time so accumulations built-up really quickly.

So far, this episode has been very disappointing for my area!

Edited by snowblizzard

Posted

As I said, I wouldn’t have been so concerned about the extended if I was to do well this week.  To have this cold spell and next to no snow would be very disappointing.  However, it happened several times during the 90’s for me!

• Like 1

Posted

Bit late, but...

Was initally d issapointed yesterday as it snowed throughout the night, but cos it had been so wet before it didn't start settling until late morning./early afternoon.

A day later, its still snowing and has settled, probably most signfiicant snow event since 2018 or 2019.

Not quite the "beast from the east" though.

image.thumb.png.07bc59c01238eadecf299b0d43943389.png

And here is the week's forecast. Multiple ice days, first time probably since 2018. -5/-6C on Wednesday! Coldest in a very long time. This forecast could be for a Eastern European city like Minsk or Warsaw, not southern Essex
image.thumb.png.178dafde7cab1894ef93047701e08df8.png

Edited by qwertyK

Posted

I’ve decided to be done with winter this year. So much potential but literally poor show for a lot of the south. How many SSWs have we had this year? 3? 4? and no BTFE. They’ve only affected northern parts/Scotland and the odd event in the east. Very disappointing! Even met office have got there 6-30 outlooks wrong and change it everyday.  I had hope for Tuesday but the channel low sank south, Friday the Atlantic could’ve gave us a snow event but it’s backed off. It makes it in next week but gives the south rain, north snow. Adios everyone until next winter  

Edited by CentralSouthernSnow
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, snow and more snow

Hi fellow snow lovers.

For a bit of fun I came up with this little rhyme in homage to the inevitable "where's my snow" frustration in one of the regional threads the other night  

It's been downgrade after downgrade
I knew it all along
And now I feel I've been betrayed
The warnings are so wrong

The Met Office are total crap
They said it would track west
So where's the snow gone from my app?
It's making me depressed

There's naff all coming from that front
It's weaker than expected
Don't mean to be a whinging ****
But God, I'm so dejected

It's nothing but a damp squib here
The biggest bust I've known
Oh dear oh dear oh dear oh dear
It's all been overblown

There's not a single flake in sight
The forecast was baloney
So that's me off to bed, goodnight
This non-event is pony

Edited by CharmlessMan
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

I have been enjoying this winter so far. I feel that this has been mother nature's way of making it up to us after the 'winter' we had last year. I am looking forward to spring just as much as anyone, but I do like to see wintery weather in winter. I love experiencing all 4 seasons.

As for the mornings getting lighter (which someone on here just mentioned), there are certainly small signs of spring out there if you know where to look; just like we start to see signs of autumn around this time during August. Daffodils are already starting to appear in my front garden, as well as the odd tulip starting to make its appearance. 

Posted
2 minutes ago, Kreftysoton said:

Met office are pushing the milder air in earlier now 7 or 8 degrees at the weekend.  Hopefully its wrong but feels like most sites are trending that way. Nice to have it cold and dry, already noticed how the real saturation of the ground has been sucked up by the cold.

Is that on the app?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos
2 minutes ago, Don said:

Is that on the app?

Website shows 6c for MBY on Sunday 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos

It's been shocking and a massive let down for sure IMBY anyway , normally we do very well in an Easterly but not this time , best I can hope for is a snowy breakdown 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
1 minute ago, MJB said:

It's been shocking and a massive let down for sure IMBY anyway , normally we do very well in an Easterly but not this time , best I can hope for is a snowy breakdown 

850s not low enough imo. Never going to get the great shower activity 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow
7 hours ago, SqueakheartLW said:

Untitled.thumb.png.b20e1473e926c1c3a31806059698762e.png

Look at that nice line of showers streaming in from The Wash. Someone in that line is in for some big snow totals if that keeps up. It stretches out almost to South Wales too

Nope, this is Junc 20 Lutterworth M1, it has been in that line of snow showers all day.

image.thumb.png.ad960c9b073d3e1426b1aabe471e2f91.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

The 850hPa temps are fine, but although cold 850s are correlated with the instability generated over the North Sea, they aren't the main factor that determines convection.  I reckon it's more to do with the lack of upper cold pooling and the relatively high thicknesses (516-522 dam in the north, 522-528 in the south).  I remember that in contrast we had an easterly in late March 2014 which had somewhat unremarkable 850hPa temperatures (around -5 or so) but an upper cold pool resulted in deep instability and there was hail and thunder from it around South Shields.

The current air mass is bringing just shallow instability.  For example, here's the skew-t for East Lothian, showing instability up to around 750hPa and then a dry cap:

image.thumb.png.253019b49de847a0efba1d32a2384c9f.png

While high enough to give sunshine and snow showers, the cap is limiting northern and central parts of eastern Britain to just light to moderate showers from shallow convection.  For the kind of deep convection that we saw in the easterly at the end of February 2018 we'd be looking for that unstable zone to preferably extend up to at least 700hPa I reckon.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted

I'm bored with this snowy spell now. Probably the worst BFTE I've lived through. Looking forward to the breakdown and then hopefully there will be some Spring warmth not too far away as well.

• Like 2

Posted

Feel like the snow only benefited the SE. Here in Manchester, all we got was snow flurries. Nothing like the 2018 BFTE where we got continuous snow for 4 days piling up to 12cm at the end. We got more snow in January this year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

Been awful here, snow flurries on and off but nothing settling. 2nd wasted easterly this year here. BTFE 2018 didn't deliver here either. What I need is a channel low last seen in March 2013.

• Like 1

Posted

I was out and about in Dudley this morning.  A huge black cloud . Heavy snow shower. Half an our. 2cm on the ground. Then the sun came out and thankfully it all melted away. I even commented to a lady walking her dog that I thought we had seem the last of it. Any way. All gone now. Let the spring begin. Had enough cold and dark to last a life time. Always hate November-February. Depressing horrible rubbish. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and thunderstorms, snow in winter

Been very disappointing, I was expecting much better considering the charts we were seeing at the back end of last week but it's been a big let down. Had a light dusting overnight which is now all gone and then barely anything through today. Now looking dry for the foreseeable. 

At least it's not raining I suppose.

• Like 1