Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2020/21 chat, ramps, moans and banter

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry and sunny with a gentle breeze ?
10 minutes ago, CentralSouthernSnow said:

I would love it! But I guess it depends on what job you do. Currently I’m off work and I think a lot of us are at home so we wouldn’t mind it. The colder and snowier down south the better southwest hasn’t seen a snow flake yet 

I work for the county council have worked through lockdown and not turning in for work is not an option. I was redeployed during the first lockdown. I live in an old house with gas fires to keep warm so I am concerned about the cold weather.  I’d love to live on the Isles of Scilly it’s warmer there. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heatwaves, hot weather, dry, mild, gale force winds
5 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

where are you anyway? if you are in the SE, go to regional and enjoy the snaw, agree though Spring can't come soon enough, bloody boring Quarantine

London-way - last snow day we had was very "entertaining" - horrendous driving and horrible road conditions, black ice making commute incredibly treacherous. So many people not considering stopping distances and drifting out because "hey I have a 4x4 I'll be fine!!". Then when you're stuck outside for work for several hours and despite all the layers (and there are so many) and feeling like a michelin woman, you are still absolutely freezing and your toes and fingers go numb despite all the kit... I work as a first responder and this weather is just awful tbh.

Give me rain and mild temperatures any day of the week! 

Edited by NPA
  • Like 5

Posted
2 minutes ago, Gooddaysunshine said:

I work for the county council have worked through lockdown and not turning in for work is not an option. I was redeployed during the first lockdown. I live in an old house with gas fires to keep warm so I am concerned about the cold weather.  I’d love to live on the Isles of Scilly it’s warmer there. 

I'm with you there mate - let me know if there are any warm weather hidey holes there

Posted

I'm calling this the Marginal From The East, MFTE!! 

Marginal rain/sleet/snow that I stayed up all night to watch. 

Marginal ability of the snow to settle. 

Marginal will it ever get down to freezing point. 

Marginal levels of sanity left after chasing this day for weeks, scrolling through forums and watching forecasts. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

I don’t understand the east is under -11 uppers but looking on the radar with temps everywhere is positive temps , mostly 3 c plus . Why is it not colder 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
3 hours ago, daz_4 said:

Have orange snow today in my city thanks to that Saharan dust.

Yes! Same in Prague, there is a slight yellow tinge to the snow, weird!

Posted
3 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Why would anyone want mild now?

Me !  I want to drive to work and get there in one piece, Actually I dont mind cold , as long as its not pipe freeing stuff ,  its snow I dont want,  cold dry crisp sunny days are fine 

BTW I hate high temps too ,     anything over 27c is unwelcome ,  as is anything under -4  ,  Proper mildy me haha  ,  thats why I will be always be living in the UK , perfect temps most of the year   ,  just wish we had more Thorms,    

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, NPA said:

They won't help on black ice will they now rather the weather to clear up and ensure infrastructure throughout country is kept clear of this snow and ice. Also they won't help against traffic and other individuals who are unable to drive appropriately in those conditions. 

No, but if you are driving long distances regularly and dislike the conditions and find them dangerous then some additional bite into the road might give you more confidence:

"Winter tyres are different from summer tyres in three specific ways. The first is that the tread pattern has many more grooves, or sipes, cut into it, which displace water and help the tyre to bite into snow and ice. 

Secondly, winter tyres are made from a compound that has more silica in it, which means they stay soft and supple even in freezing temperatures. In very cold conditions, the rubber of a summer tyre becomes extremely rigid, meaning it slips across the surface of the road rather than clinging onto it. 

Finally, a winter tyre’s rubber blocks are designed to vibrate when on the move, which means any snow they might have picked up will be shaken out. A summer tyre, meanwhile, will become clogged up with snow and ice and in effect become completely smooth and entirely useless. "

• Like 1

Posted
50 minutes ago, Alexis said:

No, but if you are driving long distances regularly and dislike the conditions and find them dangerous then some additional bite into the road might give you more confidence:

"Winter tyres are different from summer tyres in three specific ways. The first is that the tread pattern has many more grooves, or sipes, cut into it, which displace water and help the tyre to bite into snow and ice. 

Secondly, winter tyres are made from a compound that has more silica in it, which means they stay soft and supple even in freezing temperatures. In very cold conditions, the rubber of a summer tyre becomes extremely rigid, meaning it slips across the surface of the road rather than clinging onto it. 

Finally, a winter tyre’s rubber blocks are designed to vibrate when on the move, which means any snow they might have picked up will be shaken out. A summer tyre, meanwhile, will become clogged up with snow and ice and in effect become completely smooth and entirely useless. "

Perhaps but they don't give me more confidence in other driver's abilities or local council's abilities to grit the roads. Winter tyres may help with one aspect but not the others, such as working outside in this rubbish weather and freezing despite multiple layers. I appreciate your help but it doesn't make a spot of difference in my dislike of this weather. 

Roll on spring

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
1 hour ago, Alexis said:

I've just put all seasons tyres on my 4wd - any good?

Posted
6 hours ago, Gooddaysunshine said:

I’m new on here I made the mistake of venturing into the model thread. I’m now terrified! I know people like events that make history but there seems to be so much glee. I don’t understand it. 

Snap! The possible scary low temperatures being suggested for later in February will affect a lot of people badly both physically and mentally - not to mention delay the vaccine roll out and delay some sort of normality anytime soon.

So will the now almost certain, I fear, prolonged cold for at least 3/4 weeks. Why is this being celebrated with cries of 'bring it on'? As someone else has said, be careful of what you wish for. 

And why are people who prefer mild or at least not ridiculous cold 'shouted at' and ridiculed in the model thread? I know the mods call for 'calm' from posters but too much aggression is aimed at mild-chasing posters.

As someone else has said, where is the thread for those looking for a return to milder conditions? 

This is a great website (esp the model output thread) with great experts and great posters with varied opinions and ways of looking at and interpreting the charts, but it is a website for ALL weather NOT just cold weather.

Edited by Tim M
  • Like 4

Posted
3 hours ago, CentralSouthernSnow said:

it can’t until it moves into MJO 1 which won’t be till March. MJO 7+8 is scandi and Greenland blocking plus lag effect, more vortex disruption too! 

Is this 'set in stone'? Or is there any hope at all for those who don't like the very very very cold being shouted out for in the Model forum? Thanks.

Edited by Tim M
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.
1 hour ago, Summer Sun said:

Listening to the wind is enough to make you shiver!

Must be a tough gig trying to find a hill to sledge down there.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry and sunny with a gentle breeze ?
3 minutes ago, Glaswegianblizzard said:

Hahaha very good!

Posted
1 hour ago, Glaswegianblizzard said:

20210207_134709.jpg

• Like 2

Posted

Seems alot of excitement over 850 temps even though there is very little signs of ppn, which is a plus on its own, but for me as we head into mid Feb, i want cold and snow or dry and warm, all dry and cold does is eat into your heating bills!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
3 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

Listening to the wind is enough to make you shiver!

talk about shivering you want to be here had windchills of -53c first thing this morning

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool, cold, snow and blizzards.

I'm enjoying the cold this winter and although it looks like we won't be seeing a huge amount of snow this week at least the mild, wet dross is being kept at bay for now.